Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Free $5 concession cash at Best Buy with purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-07, 01:56 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Free $5 concession cash at Best Buy with purchase

Free with purchase of select action/sci-fi oriented DVDs.

Some of these are down to $4.99, including Shaft (new), Paycheck, K-19, The Score, and possibly others. The qualifying list includes lots of 6.99 and 7.50 titles such as Tomb Raider, Sky Captain, and all the Star Treks.

The concession cash is good until 7/31/07, it is treated as cash and change is given if due.

This started back the week of July 4th, but it never got its own thread. Since it is expiring soon, and a pretty solid deal (basically free DVDs if you buy food at the movies anyway), I thought I'd bring it up.

I went and saw Die Hard tonight, using a free movie ticket from the $7.50 complete collection, and got popcorn, a soda, and $4 in cash. So I sorta got paid to go to the movie tonight (well, total outlay for the DVDs was about $22, so I guess I spent $18 to get 6 movies and have a night at the movies, which would have been $18.50 without coupons).
Old 07-20-07, 02:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a question: the cash is supposed to be for transformers, right? does it say that the cash has to be used with transformers only? and how would they verify this? do they ask to see your ticket stub?
Old 07-20-07, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by shyguy1083
a question: the cash is supposed to be for transformers, right? does it say that the cash has to be used with transformers only? and how would they verify this? do they ask to see your ticket stub?
No, despite the Transformers art on it, nothing on it says that it has to used with Transformers. It can be used with any movie. I have used it in 3 different theaters, never with Transformers.
Old 07-20-07, 09:41 AM

I found this list on another site, then I went to BB to get prices:

$4.99
k-19
paycheck
rules of engagement
shaft
the score
virtuosity

$5.99
peacemaker

$6.99
congo
dragonslayer
fire in the sky
galaxy quest
lara croft tomb raider
the core
the hunted
the saint

$7.50 to $9.99 (didn't check everyone)
star trek the motion picture
star trek II directors cut
star trek III
star trek IV
star trek V
star trek VI
star trek generations
star trek first contact
star trek nemesis
star trek insurrection

$8.99
sky captain and the world of tomorrow
timeline

$9.99
collateral
deep impact
event horizon
lara croft cradle of life
sahara
the island
the italian job
the sum of all fears

$10.99
clear and present danger

$14.99
aeon flux
face off

??
escape from la

I plan to go today and see if I can find a couple Specially marked $4.99 titles since I am going to see Die Hard tonight.
Old 07-20-07, 09:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
One thing to note...AMC theaters do not accept it.
Old 07-20-07, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by seltzer77
One thing to note...AMC theaters do not accept it.
We also found out they don't take MovieCash either.
Old 07-20-07, 12:27 PM

I purchased Galaxy Quest awhile back and used the $5 Transformers concession cash. The concessions attendant did not ask for a movie stub. Great deal.
Old 07-21-07, 01:39 AM

Pardon me if this is a redundant question, but how exactly do I get the concession cash? Is it at the counters, inserted in the DVD, need to be mailed away for or something else?

Also, can anyone confirm whether the Star Trek DVDs are a part of the sale or not? I found the Best Buy link and they don't mention it at all. Here's the linky from BB:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....at123200050013

Per the BB link you need to mail away for the concession certificate...
Old 07-21-07, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought Shaft and The Score today, but the moviecash did NOT come up as free. I got the cashier to over-ride it, but I thought legit titles shouldn't need an override. Did anyone have theirs come up as free automatically? If so, what titles did you buy?
Old 07-21-07, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ppawuk
Pardon me if this is a redundant question, but how exactly do I get the concession cash? Is it at the counters, inserted in the DVD, need to be mailed away for or something else?

Also, can anyone confirm whether the Star Trek DVDs are a part of the sale or not? I found the Best Buy link and they don't mention it at all. Here's the linky from BB:

You are mis-reading it. It doesn't say you have to mail away for it, it says "we'll mail you". Because you are referencing the online store, that information only applies to online purchases. If you order one of the DVD's online, they will also send you the movie cash. Seeing as transporters haven't been invented yet, they obviously have to mail it to you...

As for Star Trek, yes, every single movie is listed as a valid title...

As for finding the movie cash in the stores, it is likely in a different location at every store. I have seen special displays, endcaps, and random aisle locations. I asked someone today, and they told me "those are long gone." I found tons of em in the Science Fiction aisle. I suggest asking, but if they can't find em for you, keep looking. They are probably there somewhere... They are in clear plastic slim DVD cases...

Last edited by kenbenobi; 07-21-07 at 02:20 AM.
Old 07-21-07, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by ppawuk

The concession cash is inside of slimcases in the stores. They might be in the new release section, on an endcap, in the action section, in the backroom, in the GE dryers, or who knows where. But all the BBs I've been too have them somewhere, you just might have to search a bit and/or ask an employee to look in the back.

And yes, the ST films are in the list on pack, so they'll count, but see below.

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I bought Shaft and The Score today, but the moviecash did NOT come up as free. I got the cashier to over-ride it, but I thought legit titles shouldn't need an override. Did anyone have theirs come up as free automatically? If so, what titles did you buy?
Yep, no longer automatically ringing as free, but it is a simple matter to get them to zero them out, as all the details are spelled out clearly on the items.
Old 07-21-07, 08:13 AM

A silly aside, but you don't even have to pay for a movie to use these. Most theaters don't take your tickets until after you've gone thru the concession area, and one of my local theaters actually has some halfway decent specialty food counters.......
Old 07-21-07, 09:08 AM

Thanks Trevor for the timely info!
Old 07-21-07, 09:30 AM

No disrespect to the earlier list, but I had some time to spare, and plan on getting a few more tonight, so here is an updated price list per current BB online prices.

$4.99
escape from LA
k-19
paycheck
rules of engagement
score
shaft
virtuosity

$5.99
peacemaker

$6.99
congo
core
dragonslayer
fire in the sky
galaxy quest
hunted
italian job
lara croft tomb raider
saint

$7.50
star trek II directors cut
star trek first contact
star trek nemesis
star trek insurrection

$8.99
sky captain and the world of tomorrow
timeline

$9.99
collateral
deep impact
event horizon
face/off
island
lara croft cradle of life
sahara
star trek the motion picture
star trek III
star trek IV
star trek V
star trek VI
star trek generations
sum of all fears
war of the worlds

$10.99
clear and present danger

$14.99
aeon flux
face off
Old 07-21-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
A silly aside, but you don't even have to pay for a movie to use these. Most theaters don't take your tickets until after you've gone thru the concession area, and one of my local theaters actually has some halfway decent specialty food counters.......
I don't think it should matter. They won't ask for any proof. It's just like cash, as far as they are concerned... And thanks for the updated list.

Anyone know what section Virtuosity is under? I swear I looked in every section of 3 different stores, and can't find it...
Old 07-21-07, 02:11 PM

Anyone know what section Virtuosity is under? I swear I looked in every section of 3 different stores, and can't find it...
I'm not stalking you or anything, just bored, but the BB website has it in stock at the following Milwaukee area stores: Fox Point, Northridge, Bluemound Plaza, and Menomonee Falls.
Old 07-21-07, 02:17 PM

I don't think it should matter. They won't ask for any proof. It's just like cash, as far as they are concerned..
Yep, if I end up with extras of these on July 31st, I'll go to the Cinema Deluxe and try to find something halfway healthy for lunch/dinner.
Old 07-23-07, 12:35 AM

Just remember that its supposed to be treated like cash so you can get change back. Just buy the cheapest thing possible at the movie theater and get change back if you are trying to get the best deal on these DVDs. I'm think about getting all the Star Trek movies I'm missing if I can find enough of these left at BB. Thanks for reminding me about this though cause I almost forgot.
Old 07-23-07, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Vaphoron@gmail.
Just buy the cheapest thing possible at the movie theater and get change back
That would be like $4.50 so only 50 cents change at some theaters

I've been getting a popcorn/drink combo for $11, using 3 of them and getting $4 cash back.

Edit: oops, quoted the wrong part, fixed.

Last edited by Trevor; 07-23-07 at 09:01 AM.