Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Ministry

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-07, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ministry

Hello, couldn't find a thread on this great band, if there is, please feel free to lock it. So Rio Grande Dub(ya) was released recently and I think it is awesome! It seems very much like a throwback to the days of The Land Of Rape and Honey and very Industrial-driven. The Last Sucker, Ministry's supposed final album, leaked a couple of days ago and it is really Uncle Al going out with a bang. I was blown away right from the first track. I have always loved Ministry's work, well, everything after With Sympathy, the forgettable '80s synth-pop record, and I always wasn't a huge fan of Filth Pig or The Dark Side of the Spoon, but everything else is gold. So what are your thoughts on the band?
Old 07-19-07, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
everything past Psalm 69 to me hasn't been up to par..the last 2 albums I heard had some good moments though but the albums as a whole just didn't grab me. I will check and see if I can find the leak and give it a listen, thanks for the headsup.
Old 07-19-07, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

TripWire's pose above captures my thoughts perfectly. I did love their take of "The Light Pours Out Of Me" on Animositisomnia, but most of the rest of their post Psalm 69 discography has been kind of... meh.

Sounds like Rio Grande Dub(ya) is a remix album. I'll check that out.
Old 07-19-07, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Imail724
I have always loved Ministry's work, well, everything after With Sympathy, the forgettable '80s synth-pop record
And I don't like much AFTER With Sympathy.
Old 07-19-07, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jdodd
TripWire's pose above captures my thoughts perfectly. I did love their take of "The Light Pours Out Of Me" on Animositisomnia, but most of the rest of their post Psalm 69 discography has been kind of... meh.

Sounds like Rio Grande Dub(ya) is a remix album. I'll check that out.
Yes, it remixes every track from Rio Grande Blood plus an extra remix of Lieslieslies. I also didn't love Animositisomnia, especially since I can't pronounce it, but I thought the 3 to follow it were much better. The Land Of Rape And Honey will always be my favorite.
Old 07-19-07, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've always thought The Mind Is a Terrible Thing To Taste as their crowning moment. "Thieves", "Burning Inside" and especially "So What" are amazing songs. Even moreso in 1989. (the lady next door didn't think so! I got a scolding for playing "So What" too loud one night)
Old 07-19-07, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had no idea this came out, I guess I'm going to have to pick it up.
Old 07-19-07, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never heard them. Who would they compare to?
Old 07-19-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I've always thought The Mind Is a Terrible Thing To Taste as their crowning moment. "Thieves", "Burning Inside" and especially "So What" are amazing songs. Even moreso in 1989. (the lady next door didn't think so! I got a scolding for playing "So What" too loud one night)

I still get in the mood to crank this one up. I enjoyed Psalm 69 and a couple others, but no other album by them really pulls me in. Although my perfect Ministry album would be half Mind and half Land of Rape and Honey.
Saw them live back in college, about eight feet from the stage in a dark warehouse type venue. Intense.

Wasn't With Sympathy recorded as a big of a F-U to fulfill some contract or bet or something? It definitely was not a labor of love, from what I've heard. I was surprised when I picked that one up, luckily it was like 2 bucks used.

I haven't heard the new album, and haven't dug their recent one or two too much.

They might compare a little bit to Revolting Cocks, or LARD. Industrial/metal with primarily distorted, anger filled vocal delivery.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 07-19-07 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-19-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dtcarson
Wasn't With Sympathy recorded as a big of a F-U to fulfill some contract or bet or something? It definitely was not a labor of love, from what I've heard.
No, that's just the BS that Al spins these days to save his "street cred". Al was a local boy here in Chicago and was very very much into the New Wave scene. Hell, he even donned a fake British accent. I have concert footage of them from '83 and he's going 100% New Wave pop guy all the way. Then he got into drugs, started hanging out with people that thought that music was "gay" and changed his whole shtick. Too bad, too, because he could write a good melody and sang very well before all the monster-voice crap.
Old 07-19-07, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Interesting. Yeah, I don't dislike With Sympathy; I discovered 'hard' Ministry first, so it's a mental switch, but if I'm mood for the synthpop stuff, WS works, cheesy as it is (like lots of other 80s synth/new wave stuff. Still fun though.)
Old 07-19-07, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by atlantamoi
agreed on all points (even to the point that if I wanted to piss of a not so neighborly neighbor this was the cd to pop in without question)
Old 07-22-07, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I haven't liked the last few Ministry albums, so I'm kind of on a self-imposed Ministry ban. If they go on tour, I'll probably check them out, especially since this is supposed to be their last album. I'd like to see them before they hang up the hat.