Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The New World Extended Italian Disc?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-07, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.dvdessential.it/review.php?id=1441

Anyone see this? It's one of my favorite movies and I'd love to see the extended cut as it's taking forever to get released here in R1.
Old 07-17-07, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a review here, but it's in Italian. Maybe someone could translate? I'm very interested in the release, as well -- although I'd half-expect to purchase this and then have New Line announce an HD version...
Old 07-18-07, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
There's a review here, but it's in Italian. Maybe someone could translate? I'm very interested in the release, as well -- although I'd half-expect to purchase this and then have New Line announce an HD version...
what babelfish says
1607. A group of English sailors reaches in the "New World", the continent American still all to discover. Not hardly joints on the sides of the Virginia, the soldiers imbattono in the aboriginal populations that initially seem to accept them and with which pacific cohabitation seems possible one. But very soon they are born of the tensions and the situation falls when they begin to scarseggiare the provisions and the commander of the incarica ship captain John Smith (Colin Farrell) - escaped in order little to the hanging for tried mutiny once joints on the mainland - to guide one shipment in the entroterra in order to find the assets necessary. But the incontaminata purity of the place hides of the dangers, and English come attack and captured from the aborigines. Smith risks the sentence newly a.morte, but before that it happens the irreparabile takes part splendid prince Pocahontas who saves it. The beauty of the girl and the fascination of that new idyllic world, popolato from men and women with a culture all to discover, leave the sign and Smith comes some kidnapped... A lasted plan 26 years: a lot is intentional to Terrence Malick in order to carry on the screen this its work that proposes all the salienti features of the style of the art of one of the cineasti more appreciates to you from the critic and the more demanding cinefili. "The New World" - proposed in this DVD in its extended version, with scenes unknown and reintegrate for the occasion - is a film difficult and poetico, from the rhythm therefore rarefied to render it a mysterious object in an influenced contemporary cinema from the video of MTV and the blockbuster hollywoodiani. A film from the extraordinary visual impact that succeeds to fascinate thanks to a history that faces the always interesting crash between various cultures and that it undoubtedly offers a various point of view on the history of Pocahontas and John Smith (celebre in the imaginary one in its animated version of the Disney). Also not catching up the levels of its previous one capolavoro, "the Thin Red Line", Malick ripresenta its mark of factory as the inner monologhi of the estimative protagonist and give to its one new pearl that becomes part in repertorio its ridottissimo and in which they are the disowned actors who interpret the NATO Americans to steal to the scene to the divo Colin to you Farrell.

VIDEO Skillful realization for a film that guarantees one sontuoso visual show. The splendid resumptions of the incontaminata nature in which the protagonists move riproposte in their beauty with one rendered chromatic a lot satisfying and one indeed remarkable clearness. The brightness and the contrast correctly are set up and not ravvisano digital defects them of particular importance.

AUDIO The trace multichannel is harmonized perfectly with the images and the type of introduced film. The audio trace offers sonorous wrapping, a discreet one, and very calibrated, bringing to light the thinnesses of the musical column and the details of the sonorous effects well. Draft therefore of an audio tutt' emphatic and uproarious, but able other that of light and being measured as from script. In the complex the realization is much positive one and during the little concitate scenes more it demonstrates however an effective dynamics and a positive one I use of the surround. EXTRA All the extras are contained to the inside of an only disc. In dvd containing the extensive version of the film, we find many featurette that they show is made of the resumptions and are visionabili all together forming a wide documentary. Before these featurette it is "the new world": after a didascalia it begins them that she explains as the places of the resumptions are the same ones of where the true events have effectively had place, begins a series of interviews that analyzes the jobs of the troupe in order to favour the style of direction of Malick. Subsequently it comes given space just to the cast "aboriginal"... it is spoken about the actors who have impersonato the Indiana tribe and about the young girl whom the role of Pocahontas has covered. Between several the aspects of the film it faces in the extras we find also a deepening to you legacy to the "logistics", with the search of the places for the resumptions and the realization of some of the scenes more importantii. The extra equipment turns out gradevole indeed and in its with this wide one making of it catches up the 60 minuteren of duration
Old 07-18-07, 08:40 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
what's up with the running times?

Short Version 129', Long Version 144'

here in the states, the film was initially released at 150min, then cut to 135 for wide release.

I wish Malik/New Line would hurry up and cull more extras as well as the promised definitive 180min cut of the film.
Old 07-18-07, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giles
what's up with the running times?

Short Version 129', Long Version 144'

here in the states, the film was initially released at 150min, then cut to 135 for wide release.

I wish Malik/New Line would hurry up and cull more extras as well as the promised definitive 180min cut of the film.
I assume there's PAL speedup which would shave off a few minutes. I may just hold off and wait till a R1 release.
Old 10-07-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So has anyone seen this Extended cut yet?
Old 10-08-07, 10:30 AM
Cool New Member

I've got this release. The a/v is perfectly acceptable as far as I can tell. In fact, I prefer the look of the picture here to my R2 copy -- the R2 looks somewhat washed out, while the greens etc. on the Italian disc seem stronger to me. The only downside here is that the Italian disc has obviously been compressed more, which isn't really that noticeable -- well, certainly not on my tube -- except for one or two scenes, like the opening bit under water.

The subtitle selection is a bit odd. Perhaps you chaps have noticed something like this before? When I select the English option, subtitles are displayed for every line of dialogue, but if I then turn the subtitles off, they're only displayed when necessary.

In short, I'm no a/v connoisseur, but the presentation here looked really good to me. And the 150-minute cut is definitely superior to the 135-minute cut.

Highly recommended.
Old 10-08-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

W. MINGE, I love the theatrical version, can you tell me what makes the new version superior? I'll hear any spoilers you have to offer.
Old 10-08-07, 04:05 PM
Cool New Member

It's a matter of opinion, obviously, and also a matter of me not having seen the 135-minute cut in well over a year. I couldn't possibly recount a detailed list of all that's different -- I'd have to watch the two cuts back-to-back, pen and paper in hand -- but I felt the 150-minute cut had a more appropriately languid, gently flowing pace, whereas the 135-minute cut is somewhat choppier. It may not be a particularly fair analogy but one way of looking at it would be to describe the first cut as a winding river and the second as more of a zigzag. It's obviously not quite so harsh a difference, but it's not too far removed all the same -- in my opinion.

With that said, the difference between the two cuts isn't vast by any means: various scenes in the 135-minute cut have been shortened, voice-over narration rearranged and one or two small bits of business (like a night-time attack on the settlers' encampment) cut altogether. Personally, I prefer the flow of the 150-minute cut, particularly the first third of the film, which is where the differences are most noticeable -- the final third, particularly the scenes in England, are basically exactly the same as far as I recall -- but your mileage may very well vary.

Last edited by W. Minge; 10-08-07 at 04:08 PM.