Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

R2 French films w/ Eng subtitles?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 07-17-07, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

The websites are unreliable, so does anyone know for sure if any of the following R2 DVDs have English subtitles?

Je pense a vous
Quand j'etais chanteur
Mauvaise foi
Ne le dis a personne
Hors de prix
Prete-moi ta main

Any other known newish R2 French movies with English subtitles much appreciated!
Old 07-17-07, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

NOTTSFOREST,

I can help you out since I live in Geneva. Every week a new French DVD comes out in the video stores of Switzerland, and of course, the French DVDs that look the most interesting don't have English subtitles. I even do double looks to make sure my eyes aren't deceiving me. So, I can guarantee you the following:

Ne le dis a personne: has English subtitles...but don't buy it, a very sucky film.

Quand j'etais chanteur: NO English subtitles....I saw the trailer and it looks like a painful movie.

Mauvaise Foi: NO English subtitles...why does France like Cecile De France, is it her name? She's too dykey for such a popular leading lady and really not that interesting.

Hors de prix: NO English subtitles, which is annoying since I like Miss Amelie. And the Gad dude is pretty interesting actor (you can buy the Doublure with him, which has English subtitles)

Prete-moi ta main: NO English subtitles, another movie that I wanted to see.

Amazon is great, but they always have wrong specs.

Eventhough it's not on your list, don't even consider Monica Belluci's LE CONCILE DE PIERRE, which has English subtitles. It's one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Last edited by toddly6666; 07-17-07 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-18-07, 08:32 AM

Thanks so much for that info Toddly6666. It's maddening the way French companies don't put subtitles on releases that will never get distribution -- theatrical or on DVD -- outside of France.

Anyone else know of any other recent French movies on R2 that do have English subtitles?
Old 07-18-07, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nottsforest,
I'll recommend some good recent French movies with English subtitles, some new and some not so new:

1. Je Vous Trouve Tres Beau
2. OSS 117
3. Ils se marièrent et eurent beaucoup d'enfants
4. La Doublure
5. Je Vais Bein, Ne T'en Fais Pas (I wasn't crazy about it, but fellow DVDtalker Pro-Bass loves it)
6. Le Peril Jeune (not new movie, but excellent DVD package...it's the French Dazed and Confused).
7. The Girl on the Bridge (only the UK DVD has English subtitles)
Old 07-19-07, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Nottsforest,
I'll recommend some good recent French movies with English subtitles, some new and some not so new:

1. Je Vous Trouve Tres Beau
2. OSS 117
4. La Doublure
5. Je Vais Bein, Ne T'en Fais Pas (I wasn't crazy about it, but fellow DVDtalker Pro-Bass loves it)
6. Le Peril Jeune (not new movie, but excellent DVD package...it's the French Dazed and Confused).
7. The Girl on the Bridge (only the UK DVD has English subtitles)
I have been preoccupied with work lately and have not had much time to spare for the International forum. But I must instantaneously defend Mrs. De France.... she is a great actress, with enormous potential. (Orchestra Seats comes highly recommended).

Girl on the Bridge is also available in Aussie land. Any of Klapisch's films come recommended.

Actually, it would better if the OP listed favorite genres as opposed to French films...that is just too broad of a subject to talk about.

Ok, Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 07-19-07, 04:22 AM

Just a follow-up to Pro-B's comments on Cecile de France... I would definitely second what he had to say, and also add that Quand j'etais chanteur (mentioned earlier in the thread was a really enjoyabe film. I saw it on its theatrical release in France and found it to be a consistently engaging film, beautifully played by de France & Depardieu. True, the French DVD isn't English-friendly (I think it comes with the soundtrack CD included, which is quite nice), but Artificial Eye are releasing the film in UK cinemas on 28 Sep so look out for a UK R2 DVD in the few months after that...
Old 07-20-07, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

more new French releases with Engish subtitles:

Pardonez-Moi
Desaccord Parfait
Old 07-20-07, 09:56 AM

Thanks for all these great responses.

Pro-B, I'm really open to anything new and French -- I teach a class on recent French cinema and try to program some lesser known materials, especially things that challenge the cliches about French filmmaking.

The best new French film I've seen of late, obviously not for everyone, but out in a quite rare English-friendly DVD, is Thierry Jousse's LES INVISIBLES. To pass along some other options, I've also just got Eric Zonca's LE PETIT VOLEUR, another R2-Eng sub release. JE VOUS TROUVE TRES BEAU and FEUTEUILS D'ORCHESTRE are also definitely worth seeing, I agree. I just ordered the R2 release of ILS, which amazon.fr tells me is Eng subtitled, but none are on it.

Neither fnac nor amazon are listing Eng subs for PARDONNEZ-MOI, DESCACCORD PARFAIT, or LE PERIL JEUNE. Can owners confirm the regular release has them?

Again, thanks for the tips! Keep them coming...
Old 07-20-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by nottsforest
Thanks for all these great responses.

Pro-B, I'm really open to anything new and French -- I teach a class on recent French cinema and try to program some lesser known materials, especially things that challenge the cliches about French filmmaking.
Hello..

I have to run in a few minutes but since you teach a class why not introduce Godard's recently released The History of Cinema.... This should be something your students appreciate...
http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/je...a-p-11570.html

I will post a small list of recommendations when I come back.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 07-20-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this worth picking up if you already have the Region 1?
Old 07-20-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Neither fnac nor amazon are listing Eng subs for PARDONNEZ-MOI, or LE PERIL JEUNE. Can owners confirm the regular release has them?
Yes, I can confirm that both are English-friendly. DESCACCORD PARFAIT is not.

If you can't find the info you are looking for in the future...post here, I might be able to answer your questions.

Pro-B
Old 07-20-07, 03:26 PM

Is JE PENSE A VOUS Eng-friendly? I'm always keen to see what Marina de Van is up to.

PEUT-ETRE, another Klapisch film, has subtitles, for those interested.

Someone should really start a website to catalog all of these...
Old 07-20-07, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unless it's a marketing glitch, DESCACCORD PARFAIT has English subtitles according to DVD cover back and DVD menues. Click on the link to see for yourself:
http://www.dvdrama.com/fiche.php?8033&mode=menu&pm=0

I would definitely recommend showing Klapisch films in a class. It seems like a lot of his movies get released with English subtitles on DVD. They might be too cliched though.

Tony Gatliff films are great too, but I assume his movies are more for a music class than a French class.

What about Atomik Circus? Too sci-fi horror for the class? It's certainly bizarre and non-mainstream. (The Thai PAL dvd is the one to get with English subs and French audio)

Last edited by toddly6666; 07-20-07 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-21-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Unless it's a marketing glitch, DESCACCORD PARFAIT has English subtitles...
You are right and I am wrong. For some reason I was thinking of Ne le dis à personne, the Hi-Def disc in fact, when I typed the info, which isn't English-friendly.

Pro-B
Old 07-23-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This English-subtitled French DVD just came out - it's one of the top films i've seen all year:

LA FAUTE A FIDEL

The excellent main 9-year old actress could certainly be the next Dakota Fanning or Natelie Portman.
Old 08-18-07, 08:02 PM

Any more new French movies?

I see that LA BOITE NOIRE, on R2, has English subtitles. Is it worth seeing, and has anyone come across any new titles in the last few weeks?
Old 08-18-07, 08:08 PM

Or how about PARS VITE ET REVIENS TARD -- any good?
Old 08-18-07, 10:59 PM

I see that LA BOITE NOIRE, on R2, has English subtitles. Is it worth seeing, and has anyone come across any new titles in the last few weeks?
It's a psycho thriller, not subtle, but José Garcia's performance is very good.
Another one with english subs, according to Dvdrama, I recommend, Carine Tardieu's "La Tête de Maman" :

Cast : Karin Viard, Kad Merad, Pascal Elbé, Chloé Coulloud, Jane Birkin
Synopsis :
Twenty years ago, a few years before I was born, mom loved a guy. Twenty years ago, they were forced apart
and when the silly fool left, he took my mom’s smile with him.
I’ve gotta find him, gotta bring him back for mom. Otherwise, I’ll die.
– Lulu, 15 years old.
Release date : September 28
http://www.dvdrama.com/fiche.php?8476

Last edited by Tutut; 08-18-07 at 11:02 PM.