Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Raiders of the Lost Ark tribute film = DVD Talk Collectors Series?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-07, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=29100

In the past there have been discussions about overusing the 5 star rating and having mean less. I can't think of a better example.

Also the "buy me" link just takes you to www.fandago.com
Old 07-16-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, if a film's in theater release, it'll take you to fandango.com...

So Brian liked the film. He loved it, in fact. It's a valid, supported opinion which you can agree with or disagree with; isn't that the beauty of film discussion and criticism? No-one's objectively right or wrong?
Old 07-16-07, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was fortunate enough to catch a rare screening of the adaptation a few years ago, with Eric Zala present for a Q&A, and I whole-heartedly agree with the DVD Talk Collector's Series label.

It makes me wish I had done the same thing with my friends when I was younger. But we probably would have failed miserably...How they stuck to the project for years and years and how creative they were in pulling off some of the scenes really shows off their passion for Raiders.

It's unfortunate that the adaptation can't be screened widely because of rights issues, or at least that was what Zala said at the screening, because I think the work of marvel is really something that must be seen to be believed.
Old 07-16-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Well, if a film's in theater release, it'll take you to fandango.com...

I never knew that. I figured it was a mistake since fandago looks like a pretty sheisty site.

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
So Brian liked the film. He loved it, in fact. It's a valid, supported opinion which you can agree with or disagree with; isn't that the beauty of film discussion and criticism? No-one's objectively right or wrong?
I have no problem with him loving the film or stating so. I feel like the dvd talk collectors series should mean something special. A shot for shot remake made by kids may be an awesome nostalgia trip for the geeks/fanboy crowd, but there are other readers on this site. A 5 star movie should be an easy recommendation for all film fans.
Old 07-16-07, 03:16 PM

You have got to be kidding me. Some kids' home movie gets a collector's series ranking? That belittles the whole value of that ranking, for which I think there should be a very, very, very high bar, stringent requirements, and some kind of review beyond the reviewer.

Giving this classification to a "movie" such as this can bring into question every movie that gets it.
Old 07-16-07, 04:41 PM

Well first off, I think that the reviewer is entitled to his/her opinion about the quality of a movie. No questions asked there. I haven't seen this film, so I would not offer any opinion on the reviews accuracy pertaining the entertainment value of this film.

The other issue regarding the the DVD Talk Collectors stamp... My understanding is that the features of the DVD are factored into this score (sometimes very heavily). I consider this a 5 star score based on the movie alone and not the full DVD package.

While I do value the film reviews here very much, I still come here for one important thing... a break down of not only a film, but the DVD as well... and I am talking down to inserts and packaging!

I read this as a 5 star movie with a full DVD review pending (if there is one). Though I haven't looked right this second... i am sure i have seen some 4 star movies (maybe less?) get a good collectors recommendation partially based on the DVD features .

Maybe I am using the resources on this site poorly, but I wait until the DVD review to know if it's a "collectors series" title... because with out a DVD what is there to collect?
Old 07-16-07, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by notkevinbacon
The other issue regarding the the DVD Talk Collectors stamp... My understanding is that the features of the DVD are factored into this score (sometimes very heavily). I consider this a 5 star score based on the movie alone and not the full DVD package.
It's not on DVD. It's listed as a review of a theatrical release, which probably isn't the most accurate label but is the closest one DVD Talk has. I know it seems kind of odd to have a "Collectors Series" label associated with a theatrical review, but we don't have different labels for those, at least not right now.
Old 07-16-07, 08:09 PM

So, are individual reviewers allowed to bestow "collectors series" on anything they like, or is there some kind of control on that?

I've long thought that a release getting that status meant more than just "five stars," or "two thumbs up." IMO, this incident calls into question the legitimacy of the "collectors series" classification.
Old 07-16-07, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
So, are individual reviewers allowed to bestow "collectors series" on anything they like, or is there some kind of control on that?
Yes.

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
I've long thought that a release getting that status meant more than just "five stars," or "two thumbs up."
It does, but it's left to the reviewer's discretion. Here's the most recent discussion about this from the Feedback Forum, if you'd like to post your thoughts.
Old 07-16-07, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Altimus Prime, have you ever seen the flick in question?
Old 07-16-07, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I just want to know how can I see this film?
Old 07-17-07, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's online if you know where to look for it...

Old 07-18-07, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
I never knew that. I figured it was a mistake since fandago looks like a pretty sheisty site.
Fandango is a sheisty site? It's one of the only sites around to buy movie tickets online, and it's definitely the most popular one.
Old 07-22-07, 01:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
I think that the Collector's Series should be much more rare than it is. Maybe keep it at the next highest rating until a committee of reviewers agrees to promote it.
Old 07-29-07, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I never thought the Collector's Series ever had much weight anyway.
Old 07-30-07, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm perplexed at the amount of thought given to analyzing a label like DVD Talk Collector's Series and whether or not it is "overrused".

It's just the reviewer's way of saying "hey, this is really something you need to see".

Get a grip, people.
Old 07-30-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
It's just the reviewer's way of saying "hey, this is really something you need to see".

Get a grip, people.
Yeah, it's just the reviewer's way of saying, "Hey, I highly recommend you see this." Oh, wait ...

das
Old 07-30-07, 10:54 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
Yeah, it's just the reviewer's way of saying, "Hey, I highly recommend you see this." Oh, wait ...

das
Exactly. I'm all for giving a DVD a "highly recommended" if you think it is the cream of the crop. However, the category above that, the "DVDtalk Collector's Series", should be reserved for titles that are universally recognized as the best of the best, not nitch titles like wrestling or failed sitcoms.
Old 07-30-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey

das
I have been mocked!!!!

Last edited by Pointyskull; 07-30-07 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-30-07, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I know no other way.

das
Old 07-30-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Exactly. I'm all for giving a DVD a "highly recommended" if you think it is the cream of the crop. However, the category above that, the "DVDtalk Collector's Series", should be reserved for titles that are universally recognized as the best of the best, not nitch titles like wrestling or failed sitcoms.
Well, that's where I think you can get into trouble, because what's the standard for "universally recognized as the best of the best"? If that's the case, then there's no need for giving out the rating in the first place -- or a review, for that matter. Maybe that little-seen "failed sitcom" is brilliant, and a reviewer here clues readers into that fact. My last DVDTalk Collectors Series rating was for The Odd Couple, a sitcom largely considered one of the best ever run on TV. But some email I received questioned that rating, while others, from readers who were too young to catch the show even in reruns, appreciated my strong reaction to the show, and looked forward to trying it out.
Old 07-30-07, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brian Orndorf
RAIDERS: ADAPTATION is a piece of pure joy.
Aha! You gave Hairspray 2 stars, which means your heart is made of stone, and how can stone experience joy? BUSTED!

das
Old 07-31-07, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Paul Mavis
Well, that's where I think you can get into trouble, because what's the standard for "universally recognized as the best of the best"? If that's the case, then there's no need for giving out the rating in the first place -- or a review, for that matter. Maybe that little-seen "failed sitcom" is brilliant, and a reviewer here clues readers into that fact. My last DVDTalk Collectors Series rating was for The Odd Couple, a sitcom largely considered one of the best ever run on TV. But some email I received questioned that rating, while others, from readers who were too young to catch the show even in reruns, appreciated my strong reaction to the show, and looked forward to trying it out.
Well i respect your opinion on the sitcom, but I really didn't think it was that great at all to tell you the truth. I have a pretty open mind when it comes to TV shows & I buy alot of them on DVD that I have missed in the past but now love thanks to the invention of TV ON DVD, but I was just plain out bored with The Odd Couple.
Actually the main reason I decided to blind buy it is because your review was excellent. I think the DVD Talk Collector's Series title was a little bit overused their but thats just my opinion & I'm sure other would disagree.

I do agree with you however that some shows that arn't known all over the world are sometimes the best shows to every grace television. Scrubs & Newsradio come to mind at the very top of my list. Hell alot of popular shows just plain out suck & I wonder why millions of people tune into god awful shows like Grey's Anatomy or American Idol.

A large portion of the TV shows I love never/barely made it into the TOP 30 in the ratings, but they are some of the most brilliant, smartest, genius shows I have ever seen. I think most of the truly brilliant shows are a ratings failure because the major audience has no taste in truly great television.
Old 08-01-07, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you read the list, you'd have a hard time defending some of these.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/list....=0&NReviews=50
Old 08-01-07, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

WWE DX I'm a huge wrestling fan but come on.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.