TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Nateman Loves Seinfeld!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-07, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nateman Loves Seinfeld!!!

Mother of God!

It's has happened! I was flicking channels this afternoon & I decided to give Seinfeld one last try because of all the tomfoolery in the "Does anyone else not find The Simpsons funny?" thread.
SO far I have watched 3 back to back to back episode & it is completely hilarious!!! Maybe it took alittle bit of a talkin' too to get me intrested in the show, Honestly I don't know WTF happened but I now...

LOVE SEINFELD!!!

I still love Scrubs don't get me wrong but I think now I will be going out to get all the Seinfeld DVDs currently available because I indeed do think in only a 3 episode re-re-re-re trial run, that indeed Seinfeld is the BEST SITCOM EVER!
Old 07-14-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watch the Seinfeld series finale.... You'll, um, love it.
Old 07-14-07, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was like that too. I was never interested with the bits I saw in primetime, but I gave it another shot when it hit syndication, and really liked it and watched it every day following.
However, after watching it through I fouind that the show had no replay value for me at all, so I'm back to not caring about it.
Old 07-14-07, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
^^^ Really? There are some eps that I can just watch over and over again, like The Contest.

Congrats, nateman. I know I've had a few of those Eureka! moments when I had previously not understood the appeal of something that everyone else loved (still don't get the Friends appeal, though).
Old 07-14-07, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I've seen every episode of Seinfeld numerous times as they originally aired and in syndication. I put off watching the dvd sets for a while thinking they'd be a bit stale after so many viewings but I was wrong. The shows were as funny as ever.
Old 07-14-07, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have hated Seinfeld since it was aired, but I was just thinking about Seinfeld today and started laughing. I am going to go out and buy all the DVDs as well.

We are having a mass epiphany !!!
Old 07-14-07, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Greatest show ever.
Old 07-14-07, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
I don't think it's as great as people make it out to be, but I enjoy it from time to time.

Amazing a show about such unlikeable people got so popular.
Old 07-14-07, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Somehow I think nateman is pulling the wool over everyone. I'm not buying it. Maybe an attempt to get everyone off his case. If not, I stand corrected.

What episodes did you watch? What was so great about them? For someone who seemed to hate the show so much it seems like quite a turnaround.
Old 07-14-07, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts
You think it was really Nateman posting? Has he ever used the word 'tomfoolery' before?
Old 07-15-07, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I call bullshit. It looks like an attempt to gain favor with the boardies who have been on his ass lately. The typing skills in the post also look to be quite a bit superior to what nateman's posts usually look like.
Old 07-15-07, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Most people will agree that the show is pretty funny. However, does anyone actually laugh at the standup bits that bookend the shows? I skip over them every time they come out.
Old 07-15-07, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LOL, Nateman is a fucking h00t.
Old 07-15-07, 05:10 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by mndtrp
However, does anyone actually laugh at the standup bits that bookend the shows?
It is a while since I've seen the show, but didn't they stop with Jerry's standup pieces after a few seasons?
Old 07-15-07, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

No, Indeed I do now think Seinfeld is a good show & I'm not trying to gain any favor from anyone, If i dislike a show I will tell you about it but I had an Eureka! moment I guess because for some reason I thought it was funny as hell! No BS.

I no I have hated this show for a long, long time & have said some pretty horrible things about it because I didn't like the show, I've never understood why I didn't like the show but I am happy as hell that I now like the show because from what I have seen, It looks like I have been missing out on some pretty hilarious stuff about "nothing".

So I apologize for saying bad things about the show because I indeed do now think Seinfeld is a good show & I'll keep you updated as I get the DVDs.

I'm not Bullshitting at all. and yes I have used the word 'tomfoolery' before.

I still will never understand why anybody likes Friends or Everybody Loves Raymond? I just find them to be way to formulaic. & don't worry I still hate Grey's Anatomy & American Idol with a passion.

I also still don't get the appeal of The Office but maybe i'll get into it one day, It's the only one out of the 4 NBC thursday night comedies that I don't love. I do however think Extras sounds intrestings but I have never seen it, is it worth a blind buy on DVD? is it anything like the brilliant Larry Sanders Show?

Now after years of hating Seinfeld & having a complete turn around about the show I now have an opener mind about shows that i didn't like at first.

Last edited by nateman241; 07-15-07 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-15-07, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
I'm not Bullshitting at all. and yes I have used the word 'tomfoolery' before.
I thought this was some serious tomfoolery.
Nate ... don't walk into the light. Its a trick. Seinfeld still isn't funny.
Old 07-15-07, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by benedict
It is a while since I've seen the show, but didn't they stop with Jerry's standup pieces after a few seasons?
Yeah, they stopped those three or four seasons into the show.
Old 07-15-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Now you need to "get" The Office and all will be better.
Old 07-15-07, 12:52 PM

Location: Sacremende (by way of the worst place on Earth: cincinnati, ky)
Originally Posted by mndtrp
However, does anyone actually laugh at the standup bits that bookend the shows?
I laughed at the stand up routine at the end of the series finale, which was the only funny part of the entire episode.
Old 07-15-07, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I completely understand where Nateman is coming from on this. Way, way back in the Before Times (the 1993/1994 season to be exact), some very good friends encouraged me to check out Seinfeld even though they knew I hated network sitcoms (and still do, with few exceptions). My friends said Seinfeld was different from other sitcoms and that I really should start watching it. So I watched it once and didn't get what the big deal was. But because they're good friends, I trusted their judgement so I kept on watching. And after about 3 more episodes, I was hooked! I absolutely loved the show from that point on (well, except for the lame-o finale - avoid it, Nate, as long as you can) and still do to this day.
Old 07-15-07, 04:04 PM

i dont see how a show could be funny watching it a few more times
if the show wasnt funny the first few times i dont understand how its funny now
its the same jokes and the same characters nothings changed from the first viewing
Old 07-15-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ktown
its the same jokes and the same characters nothings changed from the first viewing
I don't get where you're coming from at all. For one thing, a lot of shows get more or less funny as they progress. The Office was a bit touch and go for most of its first season, but it was gold its second. Similarly, Seinfeld didn't really get cooking until season 3. There are plenty of other examples, too.
Old 07-15-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
Yeah, they stopped those three or four seasons into the show.
I think it was closer to season 7.
Old 07-15-07, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by ktown
It's due to getting to know the characters, getting into the whole vibe of the show, catching running jokes, etc. - stuff that usually can't be grasped on just watching a single episode. For example, the whole "Jerry vs. Newman" running joke is virtually impossible to get the humor of for someone watching the show for the first time ever. And Seinfeld, unlike most sitcoms, bases its humor more on the characters and their quirks in particular situations instead of depending on dropping one-liners for laughs.
Old 07-15-07, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have found that I like Seinfeld more now that I am older. It is all about the characters and their quirks, which i guess i just wasn't interested in when i was younger. Now I find it hilarious.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.