Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Movies that should have never had a sequel?

mickey65
07-13-07, 10:15 PM
I can think of a few off of the top of my head:

* The Matrix

(it was best left off with just the first one - it just got more ridiculous as it went along, altho there were a COUPLE of good scenes - like the car chase on the freeway from one of them)

* The Highlander

(I painfully sat thru only 25 minutes of the 2nd one - and WTF? They are Aliens?! The first one wrapped it all up neatly for me)

* Back to the Future

( It just got more lame as it went along - especially to the Wild West stuff in the 3rd one)

Feel free to add your own here...

Imail724
07-13-07, 10:18 PM
I highly agree with you on The Matrix. Also add Scary Movie 2, SM2 wasn't fantastic to begin with, especially since the first one was hilarious, but the ones to follow were just god-awful.

The Monkees
07-13-07, 10:26 PM
Blues Brothers 2000, probably one of the worst sequels of all time. I mean the story had NO plot! John Belushi was probably spinning in his grave.

How about any 80s horror film?

TheMovieman
07-13-07, 10:44 PM
This probably belongs in the Movie section, but I'd say Fantastic Four.

wd40cloud
07-13-07, 10:47 PM
Eddie and the Cruisers, Smokey and the Bandit, Saturday Night Fever, Grease, Bad Boys, and Caddyshack just to name a few.

Mr. Salty
07-13-07, 11:00 PM
Aliens.

Sonny Corinthos
07-13-07, 11:12 PM
Jaws 3 and 4.

maingon
07-13-07, 11:15 PM
This probably belongs in the Movie section, but I'd say Fantastic Four.

yeah but the sequel, Rise of the Silver Surfer is a pretty good flick.

Most horror Flicks dont need sequels.

AllHallowsEve
07-13-07, 11:25 PM
Blues Brothers 2000, probably one of the worst sequels of all time. I mean the story had NO plot! John Belushi was probably spinning in his grave.

How about any 80s horror film?

I'm surprised you'd say that. Only because you own many of the keystone 80's horror sequels.

I'm not disagreeing with you fully however. You are right -- probably about 70% of the time imo.

B5Erik
07-13-07, 11:26 PM
Highlander The story is over - handled nicely. The only way to have a sequel is to go back in time or completely change the premise. The lesser of those two evils would be to go back in time and tell another story about the Highlander. Oops. They went the wrong way - with EVERY sequel! The sequels are all crap, with the 3rd being the least crappy, but still crap compared to the first movie.

Back to the Future? The sequels are great, ESPECIALLY the 3rd! I'm glad they did 2 & 3!

The Matrix? It needed concluding - but the sequels were (IMO) complete and utter crap and screwed up the story.

AllHallowsEve
07-13-07, 11:28 PM
I agree with The Matrix. I actually forgot about them till it was brought up. That's not good.

Here's a cliche, but a goodie: Basic Instinct.

Brent L
07-13-07, 11:31 PM
The Sting --- The Sting II

Chinatown --- The Two Jakes

AllHallowsEve
07-13-07, 11:36 PM
The Sting --- The Sting II

Chinatown --- The Two Jakes

Until you just said that (and checking the IMDB description), I never even knew Chinatown had a sequel. Seriously.

Brent L
07-13-07, 11:38 PM
:lol:

I didn't know about it either until a few years ago.

Caddyshack --- Caddyshack 2

The Jerk --- The Jerk Too

Men in Black --- Men in Black II

cranberries fan
07-13-07, 11:49 PM
Friday The 13TH--------I mean did we need another Halloween knock-off!

devilshalo
07-13-07, 11:55 PM
Starship Troopers II
Hollowman II
Crow: City of Angels
Crow: Salvation
Meatballs 2, 3, 4
Revenge of the Nerds: Nerds in Paradise

AllHallowsEve
07-14-07, 12:43 AM

That's not a sequel. You have to save that for the inevitable knockoff thread.

Also, I believe that's the very first film that knocked off Halloween. So it wouldn't be another... It would be the first one. It was shot in '79 and takes place in 1979, so it's technically a 70's film, just released in 1980.

It was made due to Halloween's success (the director has said as much), but the stories aren't really similar at all. Mrs. Voorhees isn't really a Michael Myers clone.

I'd say it knocked off bits from "Alice Sweet Alice," (the nutty old woman running around who likes knives and bricks) "Twitch of the Death Nerve," (the kill style, though that was more evident in Friday 2), and "Psycho" (The mother/son storyline and vicious mother). With shades of "Halloween."

There wouldn't be a Myers clone until "Friday the 13th: Part 3" which has Jason stalking characters throughout the day and watching them from the barn. "Friday the 13th 2's" Jason (potato sack man) was a knock-off of the killer from "The Town That Dreaded Sundown."

"He Knows You're Alone" was the closest Halloween knock off there was, imo. Similar shots of the stalker, the killer following the lead around town in broad daylight, and even the music was similar.

Halloween itself homaged "Psycho," "Black Chrismas," and films across seas. Just because it was the first slasher that made money in the USA doesn't mean it was the first slasher made.

mwbmis
07-14-07, 12:48 AM
When I saw the title the first movie that popped in my head was Speed.

Giles
07-14-07, 12:57 AM
Silent Night Deadly Night 2 - if you saw it you'd now why I mentioned it.

Giles
07-14-07, 12:59 AM
That's not a sequel. You have to save that for the inevitable knockoff thread.

Also, I believe that's the very first film that knocked off Halloween. So it wouldn't be another... It would be the first one. It was shot in '79 and takes place in 1979, so it's technically a 70's film, just released in 1980.

It was made due to Halloween's success (the director has said as much), but the stories aren't really similar at all. Mrs. Voorhees isn't really a Michael Myers clone.

I'd say it knocked off bits from "Alice Sweet Alice," (the nutty old woman running around who likes knives and bricks) "Twitch of the Death Nerve," (the kill style, though that was more evident in Friday 2), and "Psycho" (The mother/son storyline and vicious mother). With shades of "Halloween."

There wouldn't be a Myers clone until "Friday the 13th: Part 3" which has Jason stalking characters throughout the day and watching them from the barn. "Friday the 13th 2's" Jason (potato sack man) was a knock-off of the killer from "The Town That Dreaded Sundown."

"He Knows You're Alone" was the closest Halloween knock off there was, imo. Similar shots of the stalker, the killer following the lead around town in broad daylight, and even the music was similar.

Halloween itself homaged "Psycho," "Black Chrismas," and films across seas. Just because it was the first slasher that made money in the USA doesn't mean it was the first slasher made.

and the shish kabobbing of the lovers was a rip off of a very similar scene from 'Bay of Blood' (aka Twitch of the Death Nerve)

wilky61
07-14-07, 01:00 AM
Aliens.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

I absolutely hated Alien 3. Alien 3 never really tried to be an action movie like Aliens, I think it tried to be more of a suspense thriller like the original Alien. Too bad it didn't employ any techniques (sound, lighting, and camera techniques) that made the first one great. The suspense wasn't there, the mystery and intrigue of the first one wasn't there, the story was just recycled from the first two movies...yaknow the usual fighting among her male colleagues and the occasional guy that backstabs everybody in an effort to save the Alien in the name of science, and Alien 3 gave Aliens the ultimate slap in the face by giving the characters that Ripley worked *so hard* to save in the prior movie opening-credits off-screen deaths. UGH!

Aliens may have recycled some of the plot of the first movie also, but it was a damn good action movie, and it added a lot to the plot that I *really* liked (added depth and backstory to Ripley's character through Newt, and Bishop plays an interesting contrast to his "counter-part" in the first movie and adds a layer of Blade Runner-esque depth to the plot).

Giles
07-14-07, 01:01 AM
also 1985's 'Hills Have Eyes II'

Giles
07-14-07, 01:02 AM
Piranha Part Two: The Spawning - that was just silly. flying fish, literally.

Fincher Fan
07-14-07, 01:45 AM
Silent Night Deadly Night 2 - if you saw it you'd now why I mentioned it.

God, don't remind me. It should be renamed Silent Night, Deadly Night 1.1.

Arpeggi
07-14-07, 02:19 AM
Cum Drippers.

The first one is good enough.

sauce07
07-14-07, 03:14 AM
3 ninjas

Dash
07-14-07, 03:18 AM
3 ninjas

Lies the sequels kicked ass

Silverscreenvid
07-14-07, 07:03 AM
Far too many to mention but among the worst:

The Sting
48 Hours
Speed

You can usually tell very quickly if the cast/crew cares about the film or they just view the sequel as a residual paycheck.

Perkinsun Dzees
07-14-07, 07:30 AM
Bill Cosby's Leonard, Part 6 was pretty awful.

I never caught the previous films in the series, but dear lord, that one was really bad.

GeorgeP
07-14-07, 07:52 AM
Some films not previously mentioned:

Splash (yes, there was a Splash Too...made for TV, and understandable why)

2001: A Space Odyssey -- Stanley Kubrick's zombie will one day drag Peter Hyams to hell

Jurassic Park

Every single Disney film from Bambi to the present (Toy Story excepted, if you consider that Disney...I don't).

Like Perkinsun, I am curious how Bill Cosby envisioned the other five parts of the Leonard saga. :lol:

Cartload
07-14-07, 08:50 AM
Teen Wolf didn't need a sequel, although I'm sort of glad they did Teen Wolf Too because it's so bad, it's good.

nateman
07-14-07, 08:53 AM
cranberries fan
:mad2:

American Psycho shouldn't of had a sequel (American Psycho 2), thankfully hardly anyone saw it because it has nothing to do with the brilliant original. Halloween III: Season of the Witch shouldn't have ever been made, but thats not a sequel.

SuperBatMan
07-14-07, 09:00 AM
Pirates of the Caribbean

It kinda suffered from the Matrix syndrome in the fact that, the storyline in the last two was almost completely seperate from the first movie.

Bandit03
07-14-07, 09:38 AM
Airplane!
Blade
The Lion King
and countless other Disney films.

DrRingDing
07-14-07, 10:03 AM
Uh, <i>The Whole Ten Yards</i> anybody?

OldBoy
07-14-07, 10:33 AM
Tim Burton's "Batman".

dhmac
07-14-07, 10:44 AM
Blues Brothers 2000 was both a Musical and a Comedy. As a Comedy, it failed miserably, with mostly lame rehashes of stuff from the original movie. But as a Musical, it worked very well with a selection of music that was at least on a par with, and even arguably better than, the music in the original movie. (And watching a Musical for the "plot" is kinda missing the point.)

dhmac
07-14-07, 11:03 AM
Jaws 3 and 4.
Jaws should've never had a sequel!

islandclaws
07-14-07, 11:42 AM
Hellraiser 2 (3 is decent, 4 is good, but 5-8? No thanks)
The Crow
Road House
Starship Troopers
Gremlins

calhoun07
07-14-07, 11:53 AM
Daddy Day Care
Are We There Yet?
National Lampoon's Vacation
Bruce Almighty
Rocky
Rambo
Star Wars the Phantom Menace
Legally Blonde
Bring it On
American Pie 3
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Ghostbusters
Men in Black
ANY Disney movie (not including Pixar)
Hollow Man
Leperchaun
Butterfly Effect

Man, I just realized I could do this all day...

islandclaws
07-14-07, 12:31 PM
Star Wars the Phantom Menace

Don't you mean Star Wars: Return of the Jedi?

UAIOE
07-14-07, 12:33 PM
"Aliens"

But however terrible I think "Alien 3" is, "Men in Black" had an even worse sequel.

wendersfan
07-14-07, 12:34 PM
Aliens.
Yeah, that movie sucked. However, Alien<sup>3</sup> was really good.

Digigeek06
07-14-07, 12:36 PM
Aliens.

ARE YOU KIDDING!!! ALIENS is the BEST Sequel EVER! Your CrAzY!

coli
07-14-07, 12:38 PM
These are movie series that would have been great if they had stayed as single standalone movies:

Jaws
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Matrix
The Star Wars Trilogy (No need for Prequels)
Jurassic Park
Back to the Future

It is not to say that some of these sequels aren't bad, and they are entertaining, but years later, they just seem so inferior when you watch them next to the originals.

wilky61
07-14-07, 12:58 PM
ARE YOU KIDDING!!! ALIENS is the BEST Sequel EVER! Your CrAzY!

I'm pretty sure that guy meant that Aliens did not need a sequel. AKA, he wishes Alien 3/4 had never been made. But don't let me put words in his mouth...

eXcentris
07-14-07, 01:25 PM
Yeah, that movie sucked. However, Alien<sup>3</sup> was really good.

:thumbsup:

If I had a dime for everytime I heard that silly "but they killed Hicks and Newt!" argument, I'd be rich.

And to save everybody some time, the correct answer to the question:

Movies that should have never had a sequel?

99% of them.

mickey65
07-14-07, 01:41 PM
These are movie series that would have been great if they had stayed as single standalone movies:

Jaws
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Matrix
The Star Wars Trilogy (No need for Prequels)
Jurassic Park
Back to the Future

It is not to say that some of these sequels aren't bad, and they are entertaining, but years later, they just seem so inferior when you watch them next to the originals.

In regards to Raiders of the Lost Ark - I thought the Last Crusade one was good, but the one in the middle (forgot the name!) really sucked!

Oh, and also "Romancing the Stone" had one - "Jewel of the Nile" - which was REALLY bad!

Jericho
07-14-07, 02:11 PM
I think there's a difference between a film that either sets it self up for a sequel (like The Matrix) or lends it self to having sequels (like James Bond, each mission can be a different movies) AND a movie which is a complete story where no sequel is needed (i.e. the Highlander) or where the second movie seems to be just milking the characters (Blues Brothers 2000).

The former I have no problem with. I think most people list these kind of movies because they thought the sequels sucked. But if done right, the sequels would have been fine. And I'm saying those movies SHOULD have sequels. It's just the execution failed, and I wouldn't put them on this list.

It's the latter kind of movies that shouldn't be made, and which I think beyond on a list like this. Instead of bitching about movies which you hated, which movies should have never been green-lit (irrelevant of how they turned out) in the first place because the idea was so bad.

The Monkees
07-14-07, 03:50 PM
I'm surprised you'd say that. Only because you own many of the keystone 80's horror sequels.

I'm not disagreeing with you fully however. You are right -- probably about 70% of the time imo.

Don't get me wrong, I love 80s horror movies and their endless sequels, but they are terrible movies. But, that's why I love them!

Blues Brothers 2000 was both a Musical and a Comedy. As a Comedy, it failed miserably, with mostly lame rehashes of stuff from the original movie. But as a Musical, it worked very well with a selection of music that was at least on a par with, and even arguably better than, the music in the original movie. (And watching a Musical for the "plot" is kinda missing the point.)

I wasn't watching it for a plot, but the first film HAD a plot about getting money to save the orphanage. But, the second one was "Lets get the band back together because I'm out of jail and have no life!" That was basically what was going on. Oh, and "Hey, John Belushi is dead let me get another big fat guy to be in the movie". It was a very bad movie.

And I agree that the music in the movie is very good. I do indeed own the soundtrack to the movie.

UAIOE
07-15-07, 05:43 AM
If I had a dime for everytime I heard that silly "but they killed Hicks and Newt!" argument, I'd be rich.

Then you'd hate my reasons because it isn't that.

And I took Mr. Salty's response to mean he didn't think "Aliens" needed a sequel.

Seeing how much of a mess "Alien 3" turned out to be, he would be correct.

calhoun07
07-15-07, 10:07 AM
Don't you mean Star Wars: Return of the Jedi?

No, I meant Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. Craptacular movies DO NOT deserve a sequel.

And Phantom Menace is a prequel to the original Star Wars movie.

There is no sequel for Return of the Jedi.

dhmac
07-15-07, 11:43 AM
I wasn't watching it for a plot, but the first film HAD a plot about getting money to save the orphanage. But, the second one was "Lets get the band back together because I'm out of jail and have no life!" That was basically what was going on. Oh, and "Hey, John Belushi is dead let me get another big fat guy to be in the movie". It was a very bad movie.

And I agree that the music in the movie is very good. I do indeed own the soundtrack to the movie.
Yes, but I'm basically saying Blues Brothers 2000 may suck as a movie, but succeeds so well musically, that I'm glad they made it because otherwise that great soundtrack wouldn't exist.

Ocean's 12 is another bad sequel as a movie, but its soundtrack is so great that I'm glad it was made for that reason and that reason only because I would hate not having that great music. (And at least Ocean's 13 was a decent sequel.)

Obviously, I would prefer these sequels were better movies, but if a movie has one very strong redeeming quality (such as a great soundtrack), then I would rather that the movie had been made instead of never been made.

dhmac
07-15-07, 12:00 PM

Regarding the events within the storyline of the movies, that is a true statement. But regarding the real world of film production, the word "sequel" refers to only the order that a series of films was made, without regard to plotpoints within the films themselves, so the entire Prequel Trilogy are all sequels to the Original Trilogy in that regard because they were all films that were produced later.

Bluelitespecial
07-15-07, 12:30 PM
also 1985's 'Hills Have Eyes II'

don't forget this year's remake sequel which end up being a god aweful piece of shit. It should have never been made since the remake of the original film turned out so good.

devilshalo
07-17-07, 03:11 AM
To go along with such craptacular sequels like Son of the Mask and Daddy Day Camp..

Flitter to star in 'Ace Ventura 3'
Actor will play pet detective's son
By DAVE MCNARY

Josh Flitter will topline Morgan Creek comedy "Ace Ventura 3," directed by David M. Evans.
"Ace 3" will be produced by Morgan Creek topper James G. Robinson. David Robinson will also serve as a producer with Morgan Creek's Guy McElwaine exec producing.

Principal photography will begin Sept. 17 in Orlando, Fla. Screenplay, penned by Jason Heimberg, Justin Heimberg and Jeff Sank, centers on the son of Ace Ventura following in his father's footsteps by becoming a pet detective for the 7th-grade set and tracking a stolen baby panda after his mother's wrongly arrested for the crime.

Flitter's currently appearing in "License to Wed" and "Nancy Drew." Evans penned "Radio Flyer" and directed "The Sandlot."

Morgan Creek produced "Georgia Rule" and "Sydney White," starring Amanda Bynes.

Flitter’s repped by Abrams Artists Agency and manged by MBST.

The Cow
07-17-07, 03:59 AM
No, I meant Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. Craptacular movies DO NOT deserve a sequel.

Wow, by that logic... 2-6 should not exist? :hscratch:

magman
07-17-07, 06:19 AM
Definitely Aliens.

GuruTwo
07-17-07, 03:08 PM
Wow, by that logic... 2-6 should not exist?

Episode IV is not a sequel to episodes I-III and Episodes V & VI are only sequels to IV and V.

A sequel is only a sequel if it comes out after its predecessors just like a prequel is only a prequel if it comes out after its predecessors. Using the term "prequel" to describe, say, "The Godfather" in relation to "The Godfather: Part II" is inaccurate, just like using the term "sequel" to describe, say, "Raiders of the Lost Ark" in relation to "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" is also inaccurate.

So, when dealing with the "Star Wars" saga you have:

IV: neither sequel nor prequel
V: sequel to IV
VI: sequel to IV and V
I: prequel to VI, V and VI
II: sequel to I, prequel to VI, V and VI
III: sequel to I and II, prequel to VI, V and VI

zooiiks
07-17-07, 04:36 PM
People,

You're all missing the obvious. Not only is this the most unnecessary, ridiculous sequel ever made, but it's spawned from one of the most unnecessary, ridiculous MOVIES ever made.

I give you.....

Weekend at Bernie's - plot: guy dies and dead body gets into wacky situations

Weekend at Bernie's II - plot: guy is STILL dead and STILL getting into wacky situations

Altimus Prime
07-17-07, 04:43 PM
Definitely Aliens.

Aliens is a sequel. Are you saying it shouldn't have been made? If so, then the answer to the question is "Alien."

Or are you and the others saying there shouldn't have been a third and a fourth movie?

Boondock Saint
07-17-07, 05:29 PM
I believe they're saying the series should have ended with Aliens.

Hulkabrgr
07-17-07, 07:37 PM
Psycho- Psycho 2

whoopdido
07-18-07, 12:44 AM
People,

You're all missing the obvious. Not only is this the most unnecessary, ridiculous sequel ever made, but it's spawned from one of the most unnecessary, ridiculous MOVIES ever made.

I give you.....

Weekend at Bernie's - plot: guy dies and dead body gets into wacky situations

Weekend at Bernie's II - plot: guy is STILL dead and STILL getting into wacky situations

I think we have a winner.

American Pie 2 and 3
Definitely Jaws 2-4
Even though it wasn't bad I don't think Terminator 3 was needed. T-2 ended perfectly in my opinion.

UAIOE
07-18-07, 01:10 AM
Aliens is a sequel. Are you saying it shouldn't have been made? If so, then the answer to the question is "Alien."

Or are you and the others saying there shouldn't have been a third and a fourth movie?

Is there an echo in here?

We covered this a page or two back.

mndtrp
07-18-07, 03:05 AM
Christmas Vacation 2

Made for TV, but still a sequel.