Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Bad New Line! No subtitles on The Last Mimzy

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-07, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad New Line! No subtitles on The Last Mimzy

I first got wind of the lack of subtitles on Eric D. Snider's review of the dvd, and it's true, there are no subtitles. It's weird that an new Infinifilm title has tons of supplements but not the standard feature included on even bare bone titles.

Yes the movie is Closed Captioned, but that only works for someone like me under 480i, so under 480p my only option is subtitles. I like having the captioning/subtitles displayed since I comprehend it more by hearing and seeing the dialoge at the same time.

I also find it frustrating that you can't e-mail New Line on their website to ask them why they decided to omit the subtitles. If anyone knows where to contact them, preferably by e-mail, that would be great.
Old 07-12-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by danganet
I like having the captioning/subtitles displayed since I comprehend it more by hearing and seeing the dialoge at the same time.

Just out of curiosity, are you hard of hearing, or is this just something that you do?

I hate watching films with my uncle, because he likes to turn the subtitles on even though he's not hard of hearing. His explanation is the same as yours: he comprehends it better by seeing and hearing the dialogue. But yet he won't watch foreign films with subtitles... only dubbed because he says he hates lisening to a language he can't understand.

I thought he was the only person on Earth who did this without being hard of hearing. It's enough to drive me crazy.
Old 07-12-07, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
My old college roommate did the same thing. It only started after I got him into watching foreign movies subtitled instead of dubbed.
Old 07-12-07, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I do it all the time if it 's a movie I'm watching for the first time. Been doing it ever since I got my first DVD player in 98.
Old 07-12-07, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If i'm watching a film with a group of people at a friends house, then hell yes I want subtitles on. Someone will say something and i'll miss a line if the subtitles aren't on.
Old 07-12-07, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Living Dead
Just out of curiosity, are you hard of hearing, or is this just something that you do?
I'm not hard of hearing. My reading comprehension is not one of my strong points, so it makes it easier for me to pick up on the dialog with it being shown and heard at the same time.

It comes in handy sometimes when there is a variation of a word (they're, their, etc.) which is clarified, or if it's quiet part like someone whispering. Sometimes there is someone with an accent, or people talking at once that the captioning/subtitles clears up.
Old 07-12-07, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Infinifilms titles have never had subtitles. This is one of the things I don't like about them.

I'm another of the ones that put subtitles on all the time, even though I'm not hard of hearing. My wife is European, and she's used to closed captioning, since that's the way all TV back in Scandinavia. She probably has better English comprehension than I do, but still likes to have subtitles on, especially when there are different dialects, especially Southern. I've just become accustomed to it, and get kind of irked if something doesn't have subtitles now, even though I don't need them personally.
Old 07-12-07, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Add me to the list of "not hard of hearing, but subtitles are on all the time." I don't have a surround sound setup, so I have to rely on the TV speakers; as a result, sometimes bits of dialogue sound faint or not there at all, so I turn on the subtitles (it also helps that I like to read). It's now to the point where I get pissed off if the DVD doesn't have subtitles at all (or even more insulting, Spanish/French subtitles but no English).

On a related note, I wish companies would follow Universal and Paramount's lead and put subtitling on all the supplements, because there are hard of hearing viewers who might want to watch behind the scenes documentaries and deleted scenes but can't due to lack of subtitles (or even captioning).
Old 07-12-07, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't watch the movie with subtitles on all the time, but if it has a character who's a little hard to understand or some scenes are really quiet or you can't understand what somebody is saying then I will turn them on and usually leave them on for the rest of the movie. Doesn't bother me in the least to have them on.
Old 07-12-07, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I always watch with the subtitles or captioning on. Not hard of hearing but it's just something I like to do.
Old 07-12-07, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I have the choice I always watch movies with subtitles. Unless I'm with someone else and i turn them off because it usually pisses them off.

I'm not hard of hearing either, you just sometmes catch dialogue that is distorted or masked by the background noise.
Old 07-12-07, 09:33 PM

I'm wondering if all of you saying you aren't hard of hearing have had your hearing checked.
Old 07-12-07, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by SteelWill
I'm wondering if all of you saying you aren't hard of hearing have had your hearing checked.
Come again?
Old 07-13-07, 12:22 AM

I never realized so many people did this.
Old 07-13-07, 12:32 AM

Weird
Old 07-13-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
My dad ALWAYS has the captioning on on his tv. I absolutely hate that, due to the big black box on the screen. You can anever see anything in the bottom half of the screen, like scores to the ball game and such. However when I watch a movie on dvd most of the time i have the subtitles on. I hear fine, its mostly to make sure that I can understand what they are saying. How many times have you been watching something, and asked "what did he jsut say?" then rewind it and play it again a couple times. The subtitles on dvds dont bother me as much as the CC does, i think because they are some(most)times in the black bar at the bottom, but always jsut text on the screen. No black box surrounding.
Old 07-13-07, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I usually have subtitles on, but it is because my hearing is not very good. I hate movies with no subs.
Old 07-13-07, 11:37 AM

I also always have to have subtitles on. I am not hard of hearing (but I tell people I am a little when they complain about the subtitles when they watch something with me) I just have to have them on.

I also tell people that when you watch an English speaking program with subtitles on you are conditioning yourself to read them really fast, glance back up, follow along with the spoken words, etc. Reading subtitles doesn't always equal missing the action on screen. Doing this with English speaking movies and such will make it where watching foreign films isn't such a challenge. I love foreign films and the subtitles never bother me because I am used to having them on all of the time. I have converted my significant other this way over the years. And a lot of my friends rarely complain about having them on anymore.

I watched This is Spinal Tap last night and there were no English subtitles on the disc, and I almost didn't watch it. I did anyway, but really would have liked the subtitles so I could catch all of the crazy lyrics to some of the songs.
Old 07-13-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i usually like to have the subtitles on. it helps me with the quiet parts and characters that speak fast or with an accent. it also helps me remember the quotable lines from movies. my girlfriend hates that i use the subs. i only have "minor" hearing loss. all movies should have subtitles as an option.
Old 07-13-07, 12:02 PM

I guess it makes sense, but I had NO idea so many people used the subtitles. I can see why, just didn't think anyone actually did it.
Old 07-13-07, 10:42 PM

This is just bizarre. How do you guys listen to the radio?
Old 07-13-07, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow. I am shocked. Subtitles completely detract from the movie experience, IMHO. I (of course) turn them on for any foreign language titles, but I can only imagine how much more I would enjoy the experience of the movie if I didn't have to read the subtitles. There have been a few instances where I would turn them on where I didn't hear the dialogue correctly (Snatch, BBC The Office, etc...), but that happens rarely. I usually will just rewind and watch that 10 second scene, or whatever, with the subtitles on.

Don't get me wrong, some of my favorite movies are foreign language films (Amelie, The City of Lost Children, City of God, The Killer, etc...). I just wonder how amazing it would be to watch them as someone who understood the language the dialogue was in.
Old 07-14-07, 04:04 AM

Every now and then I've had to rewind for something I didn't hear, but that would never prompt me to just turn subtitles on forever just to make sure I never missed anything.

I just can't imagine reading along with a movie in a language I already understand. Does this have to do with a short attention span? I'm not trying to be insulting... just curious. Do those of you who use the subtitles find that your attention wanders without them? That visual images and dialogue are not enough?
Old 07-14-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
I also watch movies and tv shows with the subtitles on when they're available. It is a shame that New Line even touts subtitles on their Infinifilm releases but yet fails to deliver them. There is no escuse for this at this point in the dvd game.
Old 07-14-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by danganet
I'm not hard of hearing. My reading comprehension is not one of my strong points, so it makes it easier for me to pick up on the dialog with it being shown and heard at the same time.
Another curiosity question:

How did you type that whole first post then?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.