Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

E3 - Nintendo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-07, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E3 - Nintendo Discussion Thread

Nintendo's conference starts at 9:00 AM PST.
Old 07-11-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Beyond Good & Evil 2
Old 07-11-07, 08:10 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Hopefully they have actual news and announcements, instead of just promoting games we already know about like Microsoft.

Some weird Nintendo talk in the Microsoft thread. Apparently Wii owners "aren't gamers" and "don't buy software". I didn't get into it, since that was dedicated for MS, but all you have to do is glance at the sales charts to see that isn't true.
Old 07-11-07, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Groucho
Hopefully they have actual news and announcements, instead of just promoting games we already know about like Microsoft.

Some weird Nintendo talk in the Microsoft thread. Apparently Wii owners "aren't gamers" and "don't buy software". I didn't get into it, since that was dedicated for MS, but all you have to do is glance at the sales charts to see that isn't true.
I don't get that either. Rayman, Red Steel & Madden have all been huge and are all from third parties. Wii Play, Mario Party and Paper Mario have been even bigger. It's an asinine stance to take saying the Wii market isn't buying games. Even if the attach rate is low, Nintendo still profits $50+ on each console, $30+ per Wiimote, $17 per nunchuck, etc. Plus you have 3 million VC downloads which is just money in the bank. Nintendo is a clear winner so far, regardless of attach rate.

On a different note, Forever Blue looks interesting and the box art is beautiful. Hopefully we get that here. Sounds like a budget title for the US market though.
Old 07-11-07, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
Sales charts for systems is one thing. Game sales is another. 360 is outselling the Wii in software by a large margin. I'm sure there's a lot of Wii owners out there who still don't have anything other than Wii Sports. If Nintendo doesn't show anything other than party games, my Wii will be up for sale. I know Metroid is coming out and I'm excited for it but I need more than that. They were able to do it with the DS but not yet with the Wii. Mine hasn't been turned on since I finished Zelda. Since I kept all my older NES/SNES games the VC doesn't do much for me.
Old 07-11-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Apparently Wii owners "aren't gamers" and "don't buy software".
I'm going into that thread now, but what does that even mean?!? Wii owners don't buy games? I have too many, but that's because they're all so good I can't get enough play in on them!

Wii Sport
WarioWare Smooth Moves
Wii Play
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Super Paper Mario
Mario Party 8
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition

YIKES!
Old 07-11-07, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by noonan4224
Sales charts for systems is one thing. Game sales is another. 360 is outselling the Wii in software by a large margin.
There is a flaw in that argument though. The 360 sees a half dozen decent releases a month at this point. The Wii? Not even close. Wii owners aren't buying games because they don't desire to, it is because there is nothing of interest at this point to buy.

Sales figures from this time last year for the 360 would be more comparable as there was also only 1 good title a month for the system, if that.
Old 07-11-07, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the comments were from people (or one person?) who still assume that real gamers are the guys that play only Grand Theft Auto, Madden and Halo. That's perfectly fine if that's your thing, but to simply deny that there are gamers with other tastes that are buying games that don't involve guns or cars is silly.
Old 07-11-07, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wii owners aren't buying games because they don't desire to, it is because there is nothing of interest at this point to buy.
Pretty much. I've bought one title this year and that was Paper Mario on release date. I'm not a big fan of all of the party/mini games.

I would love for Nintendo to actually debut some non-mini games at E3, but it won't happen. I'm starting to regret buying my Wii.

However I am excited to see what they have in store for the DS.
Old 07-11-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
There is a flaw in that argument though. The 360 sees a half dozen decent releases a month at this point. The Wii? Not even close. Wii owners aren't buying games because they don't desire to, it is because there is nothing of interest at this point to buy.

Sales figures from this time last year for the 360 would be more comparable as there was also only 1 good title a month for the system, if that.
That's a whole other problem all together. There are no original games other than their party games. RE4 is great but I've already finished it twice and have no need to play it again. My game library is Zelda....that's it. And from the looks of things it won't be growing much larger any time soon. I want to see games that have real content to them which aren't part of an already established franchise. Nintendo used to be known for their originality. If Mario and Metroid is all they bring to the table I think their system sales are going to start to drop pretty quickly (opinion only of course).
Old 07-11-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It will drop with the hardcore gamers, but the casual gamers will still buy it.
Old 07-11-07, 08:47 AM
Banned

While I wouldn't say that Wii owners are not "real" gamers, there is the very real possibility that the console could just end up being a fad. Some people are interested in it merely because the Wiimote is so different and it is the "cool" thing now. Will these people still be interested in it 4-5 years from now, or will they have moved on to whatever the next fad is? The N64 and Gamecube also both had strong starts, and they both fizzled out in the end.
Old 07-11-07, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Beyond Good & Evil 2
"Nintendo has partnered with Ubisoft to being you a very exciting Wii exclusive.."

On a different note, Forever Blue looks interesting and the box art is beautiful. Hopefully we get that here. Sounds like a budget title for the US market though.
Oh yeah, my girlfriend would LOVE that, she's really big into aqua life and scuba diving.
Old 07-11-07, 08:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
"Nintendo has partnered with Ubisoft to being you a very exciting Wii exclusive.."
Red Steel 2.

Old 07-11-07, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by taffer
The N64 and Gamecube also both had strong starts, and they both fizzled out in the end.
The N64 and Gamecube sold well to hardcore gamers and weren't marketed to the general populace. It could still be a fad, but I don't consider their performances to be any indicator of the Wii's.
Old 07-11-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While I wouldn't say that Wii owners are not "real" gamers, there is the very real possibility that the console could just end up being a fad. Some people are interested in it merely because the Wiimote is so different and it is the "cool" thing now. Will these people still be interested in it 4-5 years from now, or will they have moved on to whatever the next fad is? The N64 and Gamecube also both had strong starts, and they both fizzled out in the end.
Exactly my point. The "hardcore gamers" are the ones that will keep buying games until new consoles are released. I'm guessing that a lot of the current Wii owners will let it collect dust after the initial "wow" wears off.
Old 07-11-07, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Punch-Out, pleaseeeeeeee.
Old 07-11-07, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, the whole "hardcore gamer" and fad comments are getting old. It's almost as if people feel threatened that there's something different on the market. With the 360 still going strong, there's no shortage of "killing people" games or movie and comic book tie-ins. The fundamentals aren't going anywhere people, stop panicking and embrace variety in the market.
Old 07-11-07, 09:17 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The N64 and Gamecube also both had strong starts, and they both fizzled out in the end.
That's not exactly the case:

Source: http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons...g3=All&align=1
Old 07-11-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
Punch-Out, pleaseeeeeeee.
Oh, that could be fun with the Nunchuck/Remote combo.
Old 07-11-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The fundamentals aren't going anywhere people, stop panicking and embrace variety in the market.
Variety is great, but the Wii isn't providing it either. They have a great control scheme but are wasting it on mini-games and titles that could have been played on PS2 last year.
Old 07-11-07, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually wasting is the wrong word, but if Microsoft is guilty of being the FPS console, then the Wii is the party game console.
Old 07-11-07, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cerial442
Variety is great, but the Wii isn't providing it either. They have a great control scheme but are wasting it on mini-games and titles that could have been played on PS2 last year.
Personally I've got Wii Sports, Zelda, SSX Blur, Super Swing Golf, Super Paper Mario, Resident Evil 4, will be trading Super Monkey Ball and Trauma Center for The Godfather (maybe) and will be buying Mario Strikers in a couple of weeks. After the trade I'll have ONE mini-game collection. That's a decent variety in my eyes (maybe not others), especially considering it's still the first year of the system.. sure, it could be better, but every console has a pretty slow first year as far as software goes. People generally just seem to be dropping these kind of comments based on piggybacking off of "blogs" or whatnot as far as I can tell.
Old 07-11-07, 09:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cerial442

Yeah and their two biggest games (Twilight Princess and Resident Evil 4) are Gamecube games with added Wiimote functionality.

I don't see anyone here who is "panicking" or feeling threatening by Nintendo. Just because I feel the Wii is a fad does not mean I am scared of them taking over and Microsoft disappearing. I honestly don't care who ends up #1.
Old 07-11-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah and their two biggest games (Twilight Princess and Resident Evil 4) are Gamecube games with added Wiimote functionality.
Three. Paper Mario. All three were GCN games at one point.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.