Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

"Lifting Shadows" - the Authorized Dream Theater Biography

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-07, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Lifting Shadows Site

"The Authorized Dream Theater book "Lifting Shadows" will soon be available to order in a deluxe "Images And Words" special edition that includes a free CD of Dream Theater music. This limited edition comprises two hardback books that are held together in a slipcase.

The first of these books is entitled "Images" and is crammed with colour photos of the band, previously unseen/unused album artwork, letters, press releases and a host of other memorabilia. "Images" is printed on luxury 130gsm art paper, measures 234 x 197mm and has around 192 pages.

The second book, "Words", contains the definitive biography of Dream Theater. It is printed on 80gsm paper, measures 234 x 153mm and has around 384 pages. The book features all new interviews with the band and a host of others who have played their part in the rise of one of prog-metals finest bands. The book's foreword has been written by Mike Portnoy. The book cover is to be designed by legendary rock artist, Hugh Syme. This sounds like a hell of a release but it needs help getting published.

in order for the book to be published before Christmas, we need to hit a certain level of pre-orders. Currently this is around the 2000 copies mark. Indeed anything significantly less than this, and the project may well need to be adapted due to the high costs involved in producing a book of this type. Rather than ask people to part with their money at this stage, you can now register your interest in pre-ordering the book by entering your e-mail address.

It is imperative therefore that you REGISTER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE if you want to buy the book, as if the number of people registering is far less than the 2000 mark, the project may be in doubt. Obviously please only register once, as we will be basing the print run on the number of registrations. However well intentioned, if we get a load of dud registrations, we will just be left with a huge bill and a load of books that will get pulped. But please feel to register twice if you plan to buy a couple of books! Please note that the book will not be available in stores or at online retailers. The ONLY place you can purchase this book is via www.dreamtheaterbook.com We will be shipping worldwide in conjunction with our distributors who are based in the UK and USA.

The UK RRP will be ?39.99 and $69.99 in the US, plus postage and packing. Please note at this time we do not have the postage costs. It has also not been decided as to whether this book will be re-issued at a later date in another format. Please spread the word among the DT community to ensure that we can maximise the level of those registering for pre-orders to ensure that this project happens!"

REGISTER NOW AT http://www.dreamtheaterbook.com
Old 07-11-07, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sounds amazing. I don't think they will have a problem getting 2000 people registered, but if you have any sliver of interest, don't hesitate to do the same.
Old 07-11-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Already put my name on the list. Very much looking forward to this.
Old 07-11-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$70? Yikes. Maybe if I ever get my "Systematic Chaos" autograph or if they show their faces in Atlanta again, I'll consider it.

das
Old 07-11-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Damn. I'd already forgotten about that SC litho. Where the fuck is it at?
Old 07-26-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Looks like they had no problems getting signatures, you can pre-order the book now. Shipping at the end of November.

Pre-order before Aug. 31st and get your name in the book on a Roll Of Honor at the rear of the photos book! Pretty cool little bonus.

The track listing of the bonus disc has also been revealed on the site. It consists of demos and rarities.
Old 12-26-07, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Finally got this in the mail on Christmas Eve. Nice packaging. I'm already about 80 pages into the biography. Excellent book. Very entertaining and informative read.
Old 12-29-07, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Got mine before Christmas and already finished.

I've been a DT fan ever since I got their debut from Columbia House in 1989. I was only the person I knew in 1992 who was actually looking for Images & Words on release day.

I was surprised how many things were in the book that I did not know.

And wow, does David Prater sound like a complete asshole.