How to store comic books

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to store comic books

I have wikihow as a widget on my Google homepage and this appeared today:

How to store comic books

1. Handle the comics properly. Wash your hands with soap and water before handling comics. This will remove any oils from your hands, which can cause staining on the cover or interior pages. Ideally, you should wear gloves when handling the comics. Never handle comics by the stapled edge, rather, pick them up at the open edge, top or bottom. The fewer spine stress marks, the better.

2. Place each comic in a bag and backing board. Use supplies created specifically for archival storage.

Mylar sleeves are considered the premiere bag or sleeve of choice (see Tips). While it may be superior, it is probably not essential, if ordinary care is taken to check the books periodically and change the bags when or if any yellowing is noticed.

Back boards are important to provide support and will prevent spine stress and corner/edge wear. As long as the backer board is white all the way through, you can use it forever as it is acid free.

For everyday use, ordinary bags and boards are less expensive and work fine. Unless you're using Mylar with virgin, alkali-buffered backer boards, however, you should plan on changing the bags and boards every 7 years or so.

3. Get your comic books in order. Organize your comic collection and find an acid-free box to store them in. A good storage box is one made of acid-free cardboard. You can also buy smaller archival storage boxes from archival and conservation supply stores online.

4. Store your comic boxes in a cool (70 degrees F or below is ideal), dry (50-60% relative humidity), and dark location, where humidity and temperature do not fluctuate. Interior closets are usually the best places to store comics in a typical house. Do not store comics in a basement if you can avoid it, as a burst pipe can result in flooding, which will ruin your comics. If you must store comics in a basement, make sure that the boxes are at least one foot off of the ground so that if any flooding occurs, you can minimize the possibility that water will reach the comics. Moisture is a comic book's second worst enemy; right next to fire.

5. Check up on them regularly. Check for bleeding of colors onto the boards, yellowing, and mold or mildew. If you notice ANY odor of mildew, remove the books from the contaminated location, set them out to air dry, and check again in three days. If you still smell mildew around the books, re-bag and board them immediately. Finally, if the mildew smell lingers, it is best to amputate - destroy the infected books, or at least remove them from contact with the rest of your clean collection. Mildew is a living thing and will migrate right through even Mylar to destroy your books (not to mention their value - the barest whiff of mildew will send a prospective buyer running).

6. Insure your collection. Comic books are NOT covered under your homeowners policy, even if part of a collection - they require a separate insurance rider. If your collection is extensive or valuable, talk to your insurance agent to get appropriate coverage in case of fire or theft.

7. Consider having good quality, older books professionally graded by a known, respected company. This is the ultimate protection for these books as they are sealed in an archival acrylic "well" with alkali buffers after being appraised by a panel of experts as to their condition. They may be re-sealed and certified for a small fee if you need to open the book for any reason (such as to show to a prospective buyer).

Tips
Mylar scratches and scuffs easily. If you handle your collection often, you may find the Mylars looking hazy. This won't affect their efficiency in protecting your books, but if you should decide to sell one, consider putting it in a new sleeve.

Golden and Silver Age books are far more susceptible to yellowing and any detrimental qualities in the storage materials, due to the type of paper they're printed on (crummy newsprint). New books are printed on acid-free paper, so unless you expose them to light, water or fire on a regular basis, a tiny bit of care goes a long way.

Be sure that the box you buy will fit the comics you have (older ones vary in size) and that the boards you buy fit properly in the box as well. Golden and Silver Age books are wider than current or regular sized comics, and will need a special box, they will not fit in a standard one.

The best quality bags and boards are no substitute for proper handling.

Remember, though - Comics are not merely for collection or investment. Great craftsmanship can be found in both the storyline and artistic aspects of comics - Treat them well, store them wisely, but remember that they are made first and foremost to be read and enjoyed!
http://www.wikihow.com/Store-Comic-Books

I think most people know the basics above, but I still felt it was a good read. I especially didn't know #6.

We really haven't had a specific discussion thread on storage, I thought we should.
Old 07-09-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
When I read my comics, I typically grab the latest Comic Shop News (a freebie weekly comic-related newspaper found at LCS) laying around the house, and put the comic inside the newspaper and hold it in that fashion so I don't impart fingerprints onto the cover. That's as anal-retentive as I am when I read them, can't see wearing gloves...
Old 07-09-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I never bought comic books for the "collecting" sake... Aside from maybe a dozen or so books, I don't have anything of particular high monetary value. Even the most "expensive" comics I have are probably in the
Old 07-09-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman
When I read my comics, I typically grab the latest Comic Shop News (a freebie weekly comic-related newspaper found at LCS) laying around the house, and put the comic inside the newspaper and hold it in that fashion so I don't impart fingerprints onto the cover. That's as anal-retentive as I am when I read them, can't see wearing gloves...
You do that and you didn't put your boxes on blocks to keep them free of water damage?
Old 07-09-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
I would probably only wear gloves if I was handling Action #1 (in my dreams!). But similar to you, I use a napkin to support the book in so my hands aren't in contact with it.

Something I've seen at the LCS is some "fanboys" who dig through the pile of new comics to find the perfect copy and then stand in line with their sweaty hand firmly gripping the thing. Yeah, I'm easily amused.
Old 07-09-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Chew
You do that and you didn't put your boxes on blocks to keep them free of water damage?
I had almost gotten past that, and you dig it up again? Cruelty is thy middle name!
Old 07-09-07, 02:59 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
When I read my comics, I use my bare hands. When I'm done reading them, I throw them in a pile on a table in my living room. They sit on that table (in direct sunlight!) until my wife yells at me, at which time I put them in a short box (no bags, no boards) and put them in a closet. Every couple of years, I go through and try to organize them, but get bored halfway through.
Old 07-09-07, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Handle them with gloves?! That's a bit much me thinks. But hey, to each his own.

Count me in as someone who mostly reads comics for entertainment value. To the guy who uses CSN to "protect" his comic, the soy-based ink on that paper can easily smudge onto any comic book cover you slip into it's fold. Any comic book with a mostly white cover may be serverly smudged.
Old 07-09-07, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the best way to store them is:
keep them in a safe hidden spot so your momma doesnt see them, and don't put your action figures on top of them...
Old 07-09-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuck that noise man.

I read em, oily hands and all, and then stack them bastards up until I can unload them or junk em. No bags and boards, no long boxes, no hassle.
Old 07-09-07, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
I think this is one of the (minor) reasons I like tpbs... I don't think of them as "collectible" so I have no problem treating them more like magazines. It used to drive me crazy when the back cover of an issue was black, because of all the fingerprints.
Old 07-09-07, 06:15 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
I think this is one of the (minor) reasons I like tpbs... I don't think of them as "collectible" so I have no problem treating them more like magazines. It used to drive me crazy when the back cover of an issue was black, because of all the fingerprints.

Last edited by JasonF; 07-09-07 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-09-07, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by madcougar
Handle them with gloves?! That's a bit much me thinks. But hey, to each his own.

Count me in as someone who mostly reads comics for entertainment value. To the guy who uses CSN to "protect" his comic, the soy-based ink on that paper can easily smudge onto any comic book cover you slip into it's fold. Any comic book with a mostly white cover may be serverly smudged.
Hasn't happened yet!
Old 07-10-07, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I fall in the middle of it all: I read the issues as I would read anything else, then they sit on my nightstand or on the floor for a month or two. Eventually I get around to backing and bagging them and putting them away. If I can replace the single issues with TPBs one day and sell the originals, I'll be happy.
Old 07-19-07, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally Posted by reverie
I fall in the middle of it all: I read the issues as I would read anything else, then they sit on my nightstand or on the floor for a month or two. Eventually I get around to backing and bagging them and putting them away. If I can replace the single issues with TPBs one day and sell the originals, I'll be happy.
Same here.
Old 08-24-07, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hey, I tried to teach you how to handle comics in the fifth grade, but...awww, you wanted to play Little League instead.
Old 08-24-07, 05:33 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix

Hey, I tried to teach you how to handle comics in the fifth grade, but...awww, you wanted to play Little League instead.
Banky rules.