Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Tartan Asia Extreme series B1G1 at Suncoast and FYE.

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-07, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may have missed this if it was posted already, but Suncoast and FYE are running a buy one, get one free deal on Tartan Asia Extreme titles.

Looks to be in store only, and runs from July 5 - 27.

Picked up the OOP Oldboy tin tonight, along with Pray. Got both for $40. (I hated paying MSRP for Oldboy, but its better than the ebay prices with Pray thrown in. )
Old 07-08-07, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up! I was heading there tomorrow anyway to check out the Geneon BOGO. I'll make a point to see if I can also track down the elusive Oldboy tin.
Old 07-08-07, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much does Suncoast/FYE charge for a normal Tartan release?
Old 07-09-07, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Alien Redrum
I may have missed this if it was posted already, but Suncoast and FYE are running a buy one, get one free deal on Tartan Asia Extreme titles.

Looks to be in store only, and runs from July 5 - 27.

Picked up the OOP Oldboy tin tonight, along with Pray. Got both for $40. (I hated paying MSRP for Oldboy, but its better than the ebay prices with Pray thrown in. )

Now THAT'S a great deal! Congrats to the OP, though there is no FYE here in Bend, Oregon...
Old 07-09-07, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really liked Oldboy. Any other recommendations from the Tartan releases list?
Old 07-09-07, 02:46 AM

often recommended is 'a tale of two sisters', which is still in my to watch pile.
Old 07-09-07, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by punit
I really liked Oldboy. Any other recommendations from the Tartan releases list?
The other 2 films in Park's revenge series would be obvious choices: Lady Vengeance and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. Of course when I recommend Mr. Vengeance to people, they have a hard time getting past the title.
Old 07-09-07, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

FWIW, Tale of Two Sisters can often be found at Wal-mart for ~$9.

I agree about Mr Vengeance, I think it is at least the equal of Old boy, but I've had the same experience where once people watch it, I can't get them to watch any more Korean movies - not because it was bad, but because it was really bleak and intense.
FWIW, the Tartan USA release of Mr. Vengeance is supposed to be the best quality available, even better than the original Korean releases.

I would hold off on Lady Vengenace, just because the UK release was 2 discs and included the fade to black and white edition but the USA version does not, so perhaps Tartan will double-dip on that title.

As for recommendations -
Phone is pretty good, traditional haunted-object asian horror.

Memento Mori is great, but more of a drama character study in the context of a horror film. It is part of a series of unrelated films set in all-girl high-schools, Whispering Corridors and Wishing Stairs are also in the series, they aren't nearly as good, but I wouldn't feel ripped off if I paid $8 or less for each.

Natural City is so-so sci-fi.

Tetsuo the Iron Man is avant garde, but really cool if your brain can handle it. Also pretty short short.

Koma is so-so.

I haven't seen these others, but I have a good impression of them based on reviews:
Acacia
Spider Forest
Marebito
Snake of June
R-Point
Old 07-09-07, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel

I agree about Mr Vengeance, I think it is at least the equal of Old boy, but I've had the same experience where once people watch it, I can't get them to watch any more Korean movies - not because it was bad, but because it was really bleak and intense.
FWIW, the Tartan USA release of Mr. Vengeance is supposed to be the best quality available, even better than the original Korean releases.

I would hold off on Lady Vengenace, just because the UK release was 2 discs and included the fade to black and white edition but the USA version does not, so perhaps Tartan will double-dip on that title.

As for recommendations -
Phone is pretty good, traditional haunted-object asian horror.

Memento Mori is great, but more of a drama character study in the context of a horror film. It is part of a series of unrelated films set in all-girl high-schools, Whispering Corridors and Wishing Stairs are also in the series, they aren't nearly as good, but I wouldn't feel ripped off if I paid $8 or less for each.

Natural City is so-so sci-fi.

Tetsuo the Iron Man is avant garde, but really cool if your brain can handle it. Also pretty short short.

Koma is so-so.

I haven't seen these others, but I have a good impression of them based on reviews:
Acacia
Spider Forest
Marebito
Snake of June
R-Point
Thanks for comments. I think i'll make purchases based on your reviews.
Old 07-09-07, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i think most if not all of Tartan titles (US) have better releases by Tartan (UK).it would be cool if someone can mention the superior versions if there are any..
Old 07-09-07, 06:46 AM

I can't seem to find a complete list of the Tartan Asia Extreme releases for the USA - the official website is pretty poor. Anyone got a complete list?

I noticed that there were a few more titles that I have seen:

Shutter - great Thai horror, with some good twists, getting a US remake soon

Red Shoes -- gets average reviews, I liked it more than most reviewers, has great cinematography (apparently there is a Korean-only extended edition without English subtitles that really improves the story)

Another Public Enemy -- (semi-sequel to Public Enemy which is not published by Tartan in the USA) stands alone from the prior movie, decent cop-vs-psycho-bad-guy story, not horror

Dorm -- Excellent Thai coming-of-age story involving a ghost at an all boys school, not really horror, highly recommended

Silk - Taiwanese/Japanese sci-fi horror, nice premise, decent execution although some of the twists were a bit predictable, stuck in my head for a few days afterwards
Old 07-09-07, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

is the Hillside Strangler any good?
Old 07-09-07, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Peep
Good question! Does anyone know the answer?? Maybe someone who's purchased from this sale already?
Old 07-09-07, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got many of these at Walmarts Holloween Bin sale last year for under $10. If they do it again this year I will fill in my gaps.

Here is a list off Amazon from a Tartan lover if you are looking for titles.
http://www.amazon.com/Tartan-Asia-Ex...226490-0392146

http://www.amazon.com/Tartan-Extreme...R1KIP3Z3C861G1

Last edited by pagansoul; 07-09-07 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-09-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with Jah-Wren Ryel's assessment. I would also recommend Ab-Normal Beauty. I rather liked that one. The Sundance Channel airs a Tartan movie every Sunday night at midnight(actually it's Monday morning). Since this sale lasts for a few weeks, you can always try to check out a couple of movies on Sundance to see if it's to your liking. They are showing "Pray" this upcoming Sunday.
Old 07-09-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by peep
Originally Posted by wildman1037
Good question! Does anyone know the answer?? Maybe someone who's purchased from this sale already?
About 20 - 25 bucks. Pretty much MSRP.

Originally Posted by animatedude
is the Hillside Strangler any good?
No.

Jah-Wren Ryel, from your assessments of the ones I've seen, you've pretty much nailed my feelings, too.
Old 07-09-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Thanks for the heads-up! I was heading there tomorrow anyway to check out the Geneon BOGO. I'll make a point to see if I can also track down the elusive Oldboy tin.

Sweet Baby James: (re:Oldboy tin)

If you can't find it, I found mine at Borders in Danbury.

They've probably replenished their stock by now if that helps.
Old 07-09-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

for, as I recall, the single disc rated version...
Old 07-09-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by speedy1961
Sweet Baby James: (re:Oldboy tin)

If you can't find it, I found mine at Borders in Danbury.

They've probably replenished their stock by now if that helps.
Thanks for the skinny, speedy! I actually think that I'm going to hold off and get the UK Blu-Ray version of Oldboy.
Old 07-09-07, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by FangsFirst
for, as I recall, the single disc rated version...
Nope, despite Wal-mart reputation for censorship under the guise of being 'family-friendly' it's always been the 2-disc unrated version of Tale of Two Sisters there. That's where I got mines.
Old 07-09-07, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nope, despite Wal-mart reputation for censorship under the guise of being 'family-friendly' it's always been the 2-disc unrated version of Tale of Two Sisters there. That's where I got mines.
Wasn't when I worked there.
I PMed it from BB anyway tho :S
Old 07-10-07, 08:15 PM
ktg

Was hoping to find two copies of the Oldboy tin and get one for free...but no dice.

My FYE (Lancaster, PA) didn't have any copies in the racks, just the single-disk release. The helpful clerk said "let me check in the back" (why would they be back there, anyway?)...and 5 minutes later reappeared with an Oldboy tin in hand. I asked if he had any more and he looked at me kinda funny and said, "Yeah....why?" I said I wanted two, one for my brother, and pointed out the B1G1 deal. He quickly said, "I don't think this is included in that sale." Took it to the register, scanned it, pushed some buttons, and said, "Nope. Not included." Well, the guy knew his stuff.

Or maybe...he was just hoarding the extra copies for himself...evil bastard...
Old 07-10-07, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To the OP .. or others, is everyone certain of this sale?

I went into a local FYE today (Framingham) and there was no signage for this. There was however a B1G1F Geneon special going on which was duly noted. Anyway, they had shit in stock regardless.
Old 07-10-07, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by visitor Q

I went into a local FYE today (Framingham) and there was no signage for this. There was however a B1G1F Geneon special going on which was duly noted. Anyway, they had shit in stock regardless.
When in doubt, take it up to the register. Even then, the cashier has to hit a button on the register for the BOGO to take effect. I took part in the Geneon BOGO and the cashier tried to charge me $63.58. I told her that it was supposed to be a BOGO and after a hit of a button, the new total was $31.79.
Old 07-10-07, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by visitor Q

yep, confirmed. this is in our planner, but it is an optional endcap to set up. therefore you might not see any signage to support it, however it will ring up automatically upon the cashier hitting the TOTAL button.

about 20 or so titles on the list.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.