Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

If I liked Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou...will I like...Wes Anderson's other films?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

If I liked Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou...will I like...Wes Anderson's other films?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-07, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...Wes Anderson's other films? I recently grabbed the Criterion LAWSZ at a local used dvd shop for cheap, and LOVED IT! I have never been a fan of the quirky, indy-like humor, but this movie made me laugh. Not from slapstick or adult jokes, but from the characters. Willem Dafoe had me rolling more than once, and I really enjoyed this piece of work from Anderson, and I think I'm going to check out the Royal Tenenbaums next.

If I liked Life Aquatic, is there a good chance I'll enjoy Royal Tenenbaums? Is it funny?

Thanks,
-Stephen
Old 07-08-07, 08:40 PM

YES! i love Life Aquatic as well but it's my least favorite of his films....immediately pick up Bottle Rocket,Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums--you won't regret it
Old 07-08-07, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by gmerreighnjr
YES! i love Life Aquatic as well but it's my least favorite of his films....immediately pick up Bottle Rocket,Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums--you won't regret it
Are the rest even funnier? I know Tenenbaums has a good story, but I'm worried about it being a good script but sacrificing humor.
Old 07-08-07, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by StephenX
Are the rest even funnier? I know Tenenbaums has a good story, but I'm worried about it being a good script but sacrificing humor.
It depends on your sense of humor. The comedy in Wes Anderson's earlier films is a lot drier, and a little bit darker (especially in The Royal Tenenbaums, where jokes revolve around things like
Spoiler:
the father pretending that he's dying of cancer, and a brother falling in love with his adopted sister
).

I recommend picking up The Royal Tenenbaums, since IMO it's his best film, the easiest of the three to find, and pretty cheap for a blind buy. If you like what you see, his earlier two films are a pretty safe bet.
Old 07-08-07, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by GHackmann
It depends on your sense of humor. The comedy in Wes Anderson's earlier films is a lot drier, and a little bit darker (especially in The Royal Tenenbaums, where jokes revolve around things like
Spoiler:
the father pretending that he's dying of cancer, and a brother falling in love with his adopted sister
).

I recommend picking up The Royal Tenenbaums, since IMO it's his best film, the easiest of the three to find, and pretty cheap for a blind buy. If you like what you see, his earlier two films are a pretty safe bet.
I'm gonna gamble on Royal Tenenbaums. Sounds funny. Gene Hackman pretending he has cancer sounds like good fun for me. Dry/dark humor is my kind of stuff.
Old 07-09-07, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked "Life Aquatic" well enough, but it's the only Wes Anderson film I didn't purchase for my collection. I suspect that if you like it, you'll love his other films, and I'd start with "Rushmore" given the many similarities in theme between it and "Aquatic".

I'd also check out Noah Baumbach's films, who is - increasingly - Wes Anderson's main script collaborator, with his largest role coming with "Aquatic".
Old 07-09-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I think you will and hopefully you'll be delighted. The only Wes Anderson film I don't own on DVD is Bottle Rocket. I'm not upgrading my VHS copy until a decent version of the film comes out on disc.
Old 07-09-07, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
I'd also check out Noah Baumbach's films, who is - increasingly - Wes Anderson's main script collaborator, with his largest role coming with "Aquatic".

Kicking and Screaming is very very funny.
Old 07-09-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Freeze
Kicking and Screaming is very very funny.
Keeping in mind that you're referring to this "Kicking and Screaming":

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113537/

Not the recent Will Ferrell soccer movie.
Old 07-10-07, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, definitely don't get the wrong "Kicking and Screaming"! Make sure the DVD you rent/buy is from Criterion, and you'll get the right one.

And be sure to check out "The Squid and the Whale" by Baumbach. It's sorta that "family melodrama/dark comedy" type approach that's at least somewhat similar to "The Royal Tenenbaums" (and also "Life Aquatic"), but "Squid" is darker and a bit less whimsical/absurd than Wes Anderson's films. More realistic; less wacky... that sorta thing.
Old 07-10-07, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked Wes Anderson's other films...but I didn't like... Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.
Old 07-10-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i REALLY liked LAWSZ... it may be my favorite Anderson film... maybe a tie with Tenenbaums... but Rushmore and Bottle Rocket are exceptional films too... important to note that Bottle Rocket and Rushmore and Tenenbaums announced Owen Wilson to the world as a screenplay writer...

i own all Wes's films...

but LAWSZ is really special in so many ways... not the least of which is that awesome David Bowie work in Portuguese by Seu Jorge... Link... amazing work that... one of my favorite CD's i own is that Seu Jorge bowie stuff from LAWSZ... i cannot speak highly enough of that music... course i'm a pretty major Bowie fan too...

and the soundtrack itself was really special too... Link... but that Sue Jorge CD is one of the finest i own... amazing...
Old 07-11-07, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked Life Aquatic, but like Royal Tanenbaums much more. Rushmore is very good too, so I recommend that.

Stay away from Bottle Rocket. Different feel and not very funny. IMHO, it is noteworthy only to see how far the Wilson brothers have come.
Old 07-11-07, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
I liked Wes Anderson's other films...but I didn't like... Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.
Same here, except that I love his other films (especially Royal Tenenbaums). I have no idea what that means for the OP--I guess just check em out.

Last edited by Ginwen; 07-11-07 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-11-07, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love them all (I have not seen Bottle Rocket yet!)
Old 07-12-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Life Aquatic took me a few viewings to like much. I love Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums; however, Rushmore I feel is bonafide classic of the '90s. It cracks me up everytime I see it and made me realize what a terrific dramatic talene Bill Murray is.

But then, if I hadn't seen The Royal Tenenbaums, I might never have added the word 'friscalating' to my vocabulary...

All great movies!
Old 07-12-07, 09:04 PM

Thanks for your replies, guys!

I picked up Royal Tenenbaums and LOVED IT! It was a great movie with a lot of humor and emotion put into it. Thanks for the recommendation. I had forgotten just how great Bill Murray really is.
Old 07-12-07, 09:37 PM

glad you loved it! Tenenbaums is my second favorite Anderson film behind Rushmore which you must see next--try getting the Criterion version if at all possible
Old 07-16-07, 05:55 PM

I love these movies as well. I have been looking for any of them to go on sale. I picked up Tenenbaums criterion from BB a month or two ago. Still waiting for a deal on Rushmore and Life Aquatic (preferably criterion). Anyone else see deals on these?