Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (Wii)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-07, 11:57 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Any interest in this game? For those who don't know, it's a "on the rails" shooter (like House of the Dead) set in the Resident Evil universe. There's a trailer for it on the Wii edition of Resident Evil 4. Apparently it takes place against the back drop of the earlier RE games, from RE0 forward.

Some new information I read about recently:
  • The game will have co-op play (huzzah!)
  • The game will apparently include the "Red Queen" who was in the movie, but not any of the games.

I'm not sure what to think of this. On one hand, I like RE games. On the other, rail shooters are notoriously shallow and short.
Old 07-06-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm really interested. I'm believe this game is supposed to fill in the blanks regarding the entire Umbrella storyline, finally.
Old 07-06-07, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've not been that big a fan of the series. I would probably consider renting it though.
Old 07-06-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can see a new video here:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/bio_uc/ (middle box that says "new")

Two player co-op! I think this game looks like it's going to be a lot of fun!
Old 07-06-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

problem with these games is that they give you full credits and are way too damn easy.

I doubt it can compare to the new Time Crisis coming out, but I'll definitely check this out
Old 07-06-07, 02:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I'm really interested. I'm believe this game is supposed to fill in the blanks regarding the entire Umbrella storyline, finally.

Yeah the game is supposed to show us the downfall of Umbrella.

RE2, RE3, and Code Veronica each had these big "It's time to take down Umbrella" cliffhanger type of endings. So RE fans were expecting that sometime we would get this awesome game where we would actually bring down Umbrella ourselves. Then, when RE4 comes out, the introduction scene says it is 6 years later and Umbrella has already been defeated. WTF? Talk about a major disappointment. The fan outcry over this was pretty big on the RE forums when RE4 first came out. I think Capcom created Umbrella Chronicles merely because of this. It is also ironic that UC is producing its own fan disappointments with it being a light gun game rather than a more traditional RE game.
Old 07-06-07, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Do not forget "GHOST SQUADs" is coming to Wii this fall too
Old 07-06-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Hell yeah co op! I'm even more excited for this now! Oh and I doubt that's the Red Queen. It could just be an Umbrella Computer that happens to be red?
Old 07-06-07, 03:12 PM

Confirmation of the "Red Queen" can be found on the voice actor's resume: http://www.taraplatt.com/wst_page3.html
Old 07-06-07, 03:13 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I still can't figure out why they didn't just make this a pseudo-FPS instead of a straight up light gun game. Even if they allowed limited movement along the lines of Resident Evil: Survivor (a terrible game, but it at least allowed some player control).
Old 07-06-07, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
I still can't figure out why they didn't just make this a pseudo-FPS instead of a straight up light gun game. Even if they allowed limited movement along the lines of Resident Evil: Survivor (a terrible game, but it at least allowed some player control).
There's some player control here too, isn't there? I thought I read that you can change view, by moving the nunchuck analog stick (i.e. look right, look left). And you can also choose paths, though they ultimately lead to the same end.
Old 07-06-07, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Count me as another one looking forward to this title. I don't mind that it's a light gun game. That's actually one of the things I'm looking forward to. Will it offer as much control of your character? No. But I kinda would like a game where I don't have to worry about all that and can just shoot a gun. And the Wii is the absolute perfect console for a game of this type.
Old 07-07-07, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it looks good. This is gonna be something nice and different within the RE universe and its for the Wii, whats not to like...
Old 07-07-07, 02:01 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm buying this one on release day.
Old 07-08-07, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Confirmation of the "Red Queen" can be found on the voice actor's resume: http://www.taraplatt.com/wst_page3.html
Well, I stand corrected! Either way I'm excited!
Old 07-08-07, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Despite the fact that RE4 Wii is probably my favorite game ever, I'm not what you'd call a "fan" of the series. I have fond memories of the first RE on PS1, but couldn't get past the controls in later installments...until RE4.

So I guess there will be some new info for me here, and I must say that I love shooting games on the Wii...so I'm looking forward to playing it. Still, I can't see paying full price for it. It's more likely a rental.

I'd much rather see them build another RE based on the RE4 Wii engine...or better yet, remake all the Resident Evils with the RE4 Wii engine.
Old 07-08-07, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by chess
I'd much rather see them build another RE based on the RE4 Wii engine...or better yet, remake all the Resident Evils with the RE4 Wii engine.
RE5 will have the same control scheme as the GameCube/PS2 RE4. It's coming for Xbox360 & PS3.
Old 07-08-07, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Any release date info for RE5 yet? I'm assuming 2008, but any certain time of year know so far? Spring would be nice.
Old 07-08-07, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
RE5 will have the same control scheme as the GameCube/PS2 RE4. It's coming for Xbox360 & PS3.
Thanks, but it will be hard to go back to aiming with an analog stick. Maybe they'll make a graphically downgraded version for the Wii...crosses fingers.
Old 07-08-07, 11:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Seantn
Any release date info for RE5 yet? I'm assuming 2008, but any certain time of year know so far? Spring would be nice.

I would be VERY surprised if it came out next year. Very little is even known about the game. There was one really quick teaser trailer released over a year ago and nothing else since then. RE games have historically had long development times. RE2 and 4 both took four years to make.

I wouldn't expect RE5 until 2009 at the earliest. Who knows though, maybe Capcom will surprise us with a playable or near complete RE5 at E3 and then the game may come out next year.

And I don't remember Capcom ever saying that RE5 would have the same control scheme as RE4. Logic would dictate that they would use it rather than going back to the more primitive RE1-3 style, but it has never been confirmed I don't think.

Last edited by taffer; 07-08-07 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-08-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since it was praised by many as being a much better control style, there's no reason for them to back track.
Old 07-08-07, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by chess
Thanks, but it will be hard to go back to aiming with an analog stick. Maybe they'll make a graphically downgraded version for the Wii...crosses fingers.
I agree. I like the Wii controls for RE4 considerably. I tried the GameCube controls -- they're good and functional, but not nearly as intuitive or fun.

If RE5 were to come out for the Wii using the same controls, I'd buy it over the graphically superior versions on other consoles. Due to the unexpected runaway success of the Wii, I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom isn't at least considering a port.

Here's a (very old) article about RE5 where they talk about using the same control scheme as RE4: http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3142140&did=1
Old 12-21-07, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Did anyone buy this game or play it and like it? I'm thinking about getting it. Amazon has it for $35 right now and by girlfriend got me the wii zapper for x-mas. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.
Old 12-21-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got it during the tru b2g1 sale and thought it was pretty fun. If you're a fan of resident evil you'll love how it goes through things that occured in the previous RE games.

I didn't like using the zapper with this game. You pretty much have to detach the nunchuk from the zapper to play so it kind of sucks having to hold an oversized gun with one hand.

Last edited by Krayzie; 12-21-07 at 12:06 PM.