Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are image problems common on hacked players?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put in the hack on my Oppo 970HD, then tried watching my dad's British copy of My Name is Joe. I noticed quite a bit of stuttering on the picture, especially during pan shots. So is this simply a bad copy of the disc/ poor transfer, or are there often problems playing different regions on hacked players? I really want to order a British copy of The Wind That Shakes the Barley, but I didn't want to spend the money unless I knew it should play OK. I'd always assumed region coding was purely a software issue, but after the problem mentioned above, I wasn't sure.
Old 07-05-07, 02:15 PM

What exactly is your DVD player / TV setup? NTSC or auto or what? Post all the information.

I've never heard of region coding affecting picture playback (except for not allowing it).
Old 07-05-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This may not be the full explanation, but the Oppo 970 (unlike the 971 and 981) is not capable of doing the 2-2 cadence, which as I understand it is something akin to the PAL equivalent of 3:2 pulldown for NTSC discs. Hence, PAL format titles will suffer some artifacts as a result.
Old 07-05-07, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Reservoir
What exactly is your DVD player / TV setup? NTSC or auto or what? Post all the information.

I've never heard of region coding affecting picture playback (except for not allowing it).
The TV is a 50" Sony Grand Wega set to NTSC. As for the Oppo, I just set it to region-free for the hack.
Old 07-05-07, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the same problem with PAL titles with my Oppo 971. I have a JVC rear projection TV (has DVI input). It's not the region coding since R3 and R2 NTSC discs work fine. It's only the PAL discs that I have this issue with. I watched a PAL title last night and was thinking about this very topic.
Old 07-05-07, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

subgenius, I wonder if your 971 is like my 981... the 2-2 cadence only works if you're in "VIDEO2" mode. If you're in VIDEO1, switch it out and then take a look.
Old 07-05-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
subgenius, I wonder if your 971 is like my 981... the 2-2 cadence only works if you're in "VIDEO2" mode. If you're in VIDEO1, switch it out and then take a look.
Correct you are. I just figured that out on my own by reading the updated users manual on Oppo's website, page 32 specifically. Thanks for helping. To think, I haven't been getting the most out of my PAL discs for some time. That change made all the difference in the world. That's why I'm only a subgenius.
Old 07-07-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
This may not be the full explanation, but the Oppo 970 (unlike the 971 and 981) is not capable of doing the 2-2 cadence, which as I understand it is something akin to the PAL equivalent of 3:2 pulldown for NTSC discs. Hence, PAL format titles will suffer some artifacts as a result.
So, just to clarify, are you saying that if I want to get serious about buying international DVDs I should purchase the 971 or 981? The issues I described in my original post really are too distracting to make watching international DVDs doable on my 970 if they're all going to look like that.