Reload this Page >

TBS now stopping shows with Ads?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-03-07, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm watching an Everybody Loves Raymond episode on TBS and during the very last part before the end Bill Engvall's mildly funny ass pops up and the show actual stops for the duration of him advertising his show. Then he disappears and the show resumes. I usually watch the TBS reruns from about 5 or 6 to 8 if I'm home and they're promoting the hell out of this show, I've probably seen a combined total of about an hour and 15 minutes worth of Bill Engvall Show ads, now they're stopping shows I'm watching to show me even more? Anyone else getting annoyed by this? It's not a big deal, they're just reruns I've already seen after all, but for some reason it's driving me crazy.
Old 07-03-07, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't seen it but thats almost as bad a local news organizations who cut the show off to show severe weather instead of running the normal banner with the annoying beeps.
Old 07-03-07, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you'll probably see more of that

and see more ads popping up during or going across the bottom of shows

Welcom to the TIVO Era
Old 07-03-07, 10:45 PM

I know MTV does that with some of their shows, and it made me stop watching the shows.
Old 07-04-07, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What are the odds this Bill Engvall show doesn't last half as long as they've spent overpromoting the f* out of it?

das
Old 07-04-07, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it'll be like that awful 10 Items or Less show they had. Promote it for over 2 months before it comes on the air so that everyone is really sick of seeing it, show like 10 episodes and then never speak of it again. Even if I thought the guy was really funny and I was dying to see the show it'd still annoy the hell out of me.
Old 07-04-07, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I can recall them promoting this at least back to March, so it'll be in the neighborhood of 4 months when this thing finally airs.

das
Old 07-04-07, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

From the billion previews on TBS that I have seen, the show looks like your typica "CW" type comedy.
I know that the Tyler Perry's House of Payne sitcom got record breaking ratings for a channel like TBS but for those who have seen the show, Do you actually think it's any good?

On thing I do like about TBS as of late (not that I watch it much) is that they have mixed their afternoon sitcom lineup. They now have 800 episodes of The Steve Harvey Show, followed by The Cosby show, Differ'ent Strokes, Still Standing, Yes Dear! & The King of Queens.
With the exeption of The King of Queens, I don't care for any of those shows but it's nice to see a bunch of different shows instead of Seinfeld all the time! (which they still show) & I'm not bashing the show but it's run way to much in syndication.
Of course the same could have been said for M*A*S*H & The Golden Girls when they were on every syndicated station 10 times a day.
Old 07-04-07, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, 'House of Payne' got record breaking ratings for all of cable television, not just TBS. And, no, its a terrible show.
Old 07-04-07, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CharlieK
Actually, 'House of Payne' got record breaking ratings for all of cable television, not just TBS. And, no, its a terrible show.

I think it is one of those shows that will get ratings down 'cultural' lines... like Moesha or Friends.
Old 07-04-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's exactly why they picked it up. The average cable net has a 14% African-American audience; TBS's is at 7%.
Old 07-04-07, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieK
That's exactly why they picked it up. The average cable net has a 14% African-American audience; TBS's is at 7%.

Yeah, but did it have to be this shit?
Old 07-05-07, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

TBS had a mini-Marathon of all the episodes of Tyler Perry's House of Payne on last night (Wednesday) plus 2 new episodes because of July. 4th, & I decided to watch an episode. Well I made it for about 12 minutes before I turned the thing off...we have a winner for 'New Worst Comedy'.

TBS doesn't know funny. I especially love how they try & promote movies like the Titanic as a comedy, Pathetic.
Old 07-05-07, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So you'd pass up the opportunity to air the most successful movie of all time and a guaranteed ratings driver simply because it doesn't fit your brand? That's just stupid.

The vast majority of TV viewers don't give a shit that its off-brand. They just want to see the movie.
Old 07-05-07, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
I've said time and time again that if we continue to buy Tivos and skip ads, the model is going to change. Advertising pays for television.

It sucks (I have two Tivos and never watch commercials...we hardly watch any live TV) but it's reality and it is only going to get worse.
Old 07-05-07, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Draven
I've said time and time again that if we continue to buy Tivos and skip ads, the model is going to change. Advertising pays for television.
But television shows kept increasing the amount of commercials way before Tivos became popular. I look at this as an arms race and the viewers had to arm themselves with Tivos just to keep watching TV tolerable.

TIM
Old 07-05-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They increased commercials because it was more profitable.

Serious question to everyone: If you skip the ads, who pays for the creation of television content?

It's gonna be a really big problem really soon.
Old 07-05-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
Advertising pays for television.
tell that to my cable bill
Old 07-05-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're the one who started saying that? Way to go out on a limb
Old 07-05-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They increased commercials because it was more profitable.

Serious question to everyone: If you skip the ads, who pays for the creation of television content?

It's gonna be a really big problem really soon.
I don't mind (non-obnoxious) product placement in the shows themselves. Kyle XY just did a thing with Sour Patch Kids where they showed a closeup of the package, but didn't really mention it. It was subtle and didn't detract from the story.

It only gets annoying like when they did it on Everwood "Check out my brand new Mercury Mariner! I love this car!"

I have also said that now in the era of Tivo, the sponsors should recruit the TV stars to star in their ads. You might be less likely to skip the ads if you see an actor from the show in it.
Old 07-05-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kantonburg
I haven't seen it but thats almost as bad a local news organizations who cut the show off to show severe weather instead of running the normal banner with the annoying beeps.
A few years back, a local station stopped showing Game 1 of the NHL Western Conference Finals (my hometown Minnesota Wild vs. the Ducks), about a Thunderstorm Watch.

In Minnesota, this would have been punishable by death, but here in Iowa - not a whole lot of people like hockey. When I called the station to complain, they acted like a Thunderstorm Watch equates to the end of the world.

Last edited by Mikael79; 07-05-07 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-05-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is how I am - If I'm watching a show previously recorded on my DVR, I'll stop skipping commercials whenever I see a clever/interesting ad - because it catches my attention. Shouldn't all commercials be like this? If only they put some time and thought into all commercials, maybe people wouldn't feel like they were such a waste of time.

Sportscenter commercials are a great example of good ads. They've had the exact same model since I was in high school, and yet they still work. Too many companies these days pull successful ads too soon in an effort to avoid jumping the shark.
Old 07-05-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikael79
A few years back, a local station stopped showing Game 1 of the NHL Western Conference Finals (my hometown Minnesota Wild vs. the Ducks), about a Thundstorm Watch.

In Minnesota, this would have been punishable by death, but here in Iowa - not a whole lot of people like hockey. When I called the station to complain, they acted like a Thunderstorm Watch equates to the end of the world.

They do that here all the time, actually anytime it rains just about. We get the stupid weather map taking up 1/4 of the screen, even if it is an outlying part of the state that can not get the local channels. What is worse is that they do not have the equipment to put the map on the HD feed, so they will broadcast the SD signal w/ the map over there HD feed. I hate this, if I wanted to watch SD signal I would turn to the SD channel - there is a reason I paid money to upgrade my equipment and service to HD.
Old 07-05-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They've already started monetizing their online and VOD content. So many networks now stream their episodes on their websites or show them through your VOD service, but they force you to watch an ad. I watched a Letterman Top 10 List online and had to sit through a commercial. I know that that's one way Turner Networks are trying to counteract DVR skipping.

Another thing to remember is that DVRs are only in 15% of all TV households at most. Its growing, no doubt, but its nowhere near panic levels yet. I think a lot of broadcasters are testing the waters right now to see how viewers will react before DVRs have a large household penetration (tee hee).
Old 07-05-07, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
You're the one who started saying that? Way to go out on a limb
I mention it because no one wants intrusive ads but everyone wants to skip them with their Tivo or DVR.

Ultimately, something has to give.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.