Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bands that record "live in the studio?"

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-07, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What bands have recorded albums altogether, at the same time, essentially "live?"

I know that the majority of albums are recorded this way: they lay the drum track, then they lay the guitar track, blah-blah, then finally the vocal track.

I think that, a few decades ago, some albums were recorded live in the studio, but I doubt that's how its done nowadays.
Old 07-03-07, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pearl Jam's Vs. was recorded live in the studio.
Old 07-03-07, 07:17 PM

Most of Steve Albini produced albums are done live...Nirvana's "In Utero" for instance
Old 07-03-07, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Two Led Zeppelin tracks are live in studio: Since I've Been Loving You and In My Time of Dying
Old 07-03-07, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

311's 'From Chaos' was recorded live in the studio.
Old 07-03-07, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Jackson Brownes Running on Empty

Recorded onstage, backstage, in three different hotel rooms, and on a Continental Silver Eagle tour bus during a cross-country 1977 tour. One of the greatest albums ever!
Old 07-03-07, 10:57 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
"King Biscuit Flower Hour" by the Waitresses.
Old 07-04-07, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts
Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death

An incredible Progressive Metal album - 95% of the music was done live as a band (with just a few touch ups - very few), and about 70% of the vocals done live with them!

These guys are so tight as a unit that they can pull off what very few bands can. When you see them live it's easy to see and hear how they can record "live" in the studio. Even with stuff as complex as this album was!
Old 07-04-07, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Tonya Donelly - This Hungry Life was recorded over two nights, live, in front of an audience.
Old 07-04-07, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death

An incredible Progressive Metal album - 95% of the music was done live as a band (with just a few touch ups - very few), and about 70% of the vocals done live with them!

These guys are so tight as a unit that they can pull off what very few bands can. When you see them live it's easy to see and hear how they can record "live" in the studio. Even with stuff as complex as this album was!
I've been hearing this album a lot recently and realizing how Maiden has really achieved a second renaissance of sorts in their career. It's sort of been building up since the last 2 albums, but this one is just an all around fantastic record in my opinion, up there with anything in their classic 80s period. It's really amazing how powerful and confident they still sound at this stage in their career. Knowing now what you wrote is icing on the cake for my impression of it.

I also agree about the album being very progressive. It's funny 'cause I grew up listening to Maiden not knowing much about progressive groups and it's not like they were very overt referencing the influence in the past. It feels like now they can let it out more knowing that a lot of older fans have probably caught up with those old Yes and King Crimson albums.

Last edited by polietilen; 07-04-07 at 02:29 AM.