DVD Talk
Untitled J.J. Abrams Project "Cloverfield" 1-18-08 Thread. [Archive] - Page 3 - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Untitled J.J. Abrams Project "Cloverfield" 1-18-08 Thread.

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Jackskeleton
01-12-08, 11:46 PM
I can't believe people are getting so excited for this. A PG-13 movie under 90 minutes long with a cast comprised of unknown teens and twenty-somethings from the director of The Pallbearer. I am not saying it's gonna be bad but I cannot muster up any enthusiasm to see this. It seems like a mix of Godzilla, Blair Witch, and The Host that doesn't look to really offer any compelling reason to see it. I'll rent it of course but I am very saddened that Paramount opens this automatically on 3100+ meanwhile I have been dying to see There will Be Blood which Paramount hasn't but into any theatres within a hundred miles of me!!!!

It's suspenseful and is one hell of a good ride. This isn't a horror film. It has surprising elements, but it's more of "in the middle of total chaos" sort of film.

It is a really good film. Really really good.

KingSmoth
01-13-08, 04:49 AM
I only saw the trailer for this a few weeks ago, but I've been hyped since then. I have a long work weekend ahead, but I'm going to see it first showing on the 18th anyway. Can't get enough monster movies!

Trevor
01-13-08, 11:07 AM
A horror film CANNOT be PG-13 AND good. This is not a horror movie.
What a ridiculous comment!

PG-13 is, as it usually is, a very silly thing to complain about. Some movies do manage to be entertaining without sex/nudity and, gore, it actually isn't that difficult.

Oh and to note, too many movies outstay their welcome these days, I'm very happy when I read a movie is 90 minutes long :up: :up:.
:up:

whoopdido
01-13-08, 11:49 AM
I guess what I wanted to know is why people think this looks like it will be good?
I certainly am not just trolling saying thing's like "this looks soooo stupid" or whatever because I don't think it looks bad I just don't see why people are excited for this considering that there really isn't a lot of strong talent behind this. Yes, I like J.J. Abrams as well. I love Lost and Alias and I liked MI:3 quite a bit but he didnt direct this film.
I just dont see anything that is worth my $7 plus a trip to a theater to see this. Maybe its just that this is a film that seems to be more hype than actual substance a la Snakes on A Plane.

People are excited to see it. What's so hard to grasp about that concept and why do they even need a reason?

Probably the reason most people, and definitely the reason I want to see it, is because it had probably the best teaser trailer of all time. When I first saw it everybody in the theater was like WTF!! It did what a teaser is supposed to do. It got me interested in the movie while revealing nothing. When I got home I started looking for info about it and discovered it was about a giant monster attacking New York City. Guess what...you might not be interested in that premise, but A LOT of other people are. Deal with it. You don't have to watch it if you don't want to. I, for one, will be watching it.

kantonburg
01-13-08, 03:49 PM
I guess what I wanted to know is why people think this looks like it will be good?
I certainly am not just trolling saying thing's like "this looks soooo stupid" or whatever because I don't think it looks bad I just don't see why people are excited for this considering that there really isn't a lot of strong talent behind this. Yes, I like J.J. Abrams as well. I love Lost and Alias and I liked MI:3 quite a bit but he didnt direct this film.
I just dont see anything that is worth my $7 plus a trip to a theater to see this. Maybe its just that this is a film that seems to be more hype than actual substance a la Snakes on A Plane.
People are excited to see it. What's so hard to grasp about that concept and why do they even need a reason?

Probably the reason most people, and definitely the reason I want to see it, is because it had probably the best teaser trailer of all time. When I first saw it everybody in the theater was like WTF!! It did what a teaser is supposed to do. It got me interested in the movie while revealing nothing. When I got home I started looking for info about it and discovered it was about a giant monster attacking New York City. Guess what...you might not be interested in that premise, but A LOT of other people are. Deal with it. You don't have to watch it if you don't want to. I, for one, will be watching it.

:up:

Yep. If you don't like the premise move along. It's almost as if you need everyone here to justify your decision. Are you the company Yes man?

chris_sc77
01-13-08, 04:06 PM
Damn you guys are defensive of this! You'd think I was one of those guys who killed and tortured those dogs or cats. Please spare me the death penalty almighty monster-movie fans!!!

Jackskeleton
01-13-08, 05:07 PM
Perhaps you shouldn't go screaming fire in a crowded theater if you don't want to get stomped on in the mob movement out?

FinkPish
01-13-08, 05:23 PM
Perhaps you shouldn't go screaming fire in a crowded theater if you don't want to get stomped on in the mob movement out?
Yes, because screaming fire in a crowded room is the same as stating your opinion on the internet.

VHS?
01-13-08, 05:46 PM
well apparently this is the monster:

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/hyenatraxvegas/cloverfieldmonster.jpg

From a reply about it on B-D:
PR1138 5:08pm, January 13, 2008
Hey all, just letting you know that this is NOT offial art
from the film. This was a concept drawing I did based on the
descriptions given by people who supposedly saw the
film. These are the elements that they described - -
red Lungs or airsacks on the sides of its face. - Long whip
like tail. - face, similar to a bulldog - two extremely
long arms with long fingers and reverse elbows. -two
smaller arms protruding from the mid section. -two legs in
the back (smaller than the front arms. - the creature can
stand using it's arms to hold itself upright, and can also
crawl along the ground in a horizontal position.

I'm trying to stay away from TV spots and new trailers though.With the amount they do for movies today, it almost ruins it because they show so much.Sometimes you feel like you have already seen it.

Rival11
01-13-08, 07:54 PM
Damn you guys are defensive of this! You'd think I was one of those guys who killed and tortured those dogs or cats. Please spare me the death penalty almighty monster-movie fans!!!

I agree with your last statement to certain extents. I never have expectations going into movies at all anymore and sometimes that's a good thing and sometimes it's a bad thing.

I'm not really that pumped up to see this flick (the pretty boy/college kids thing is so tired now.....I can't really relate with people like that and it takes me out of a lot of flicks I try to get into) but I do love all of the extra secrets and promotion that has gone into this film - It's a lot of fun - almost don't even need to see the flick.

You will find people around here get pretty uptight but a lot of them (I think a lot of them) work for the studios so they feel like they have to defend them more or less - I don't have a problem with it though - whatever - people are people.

The Dude
01-13-08, 08:08 PM
What contest? Where are they having the screening?

Someone posted a link to a huge page of 'contests' running around the country to get into screenings. I simply signed up for some message board and then got my pass in the mail. The screening itself is on the 15th at the Crossroads theater in Cary (7:30 PM).

Brent L
01-13-08, 08:37 PM
Has this been posted yet? The new picture from The Asylum, Monster!

Coming 1-15-08!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LLv7trkylrg&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LLv7trkylrg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

:p

Seven%Solution
01-13-08, 09:40 PM
^ Seriously, what is it with that studio? Do they copy EVERYTHING that comes out these days?

Jackskeleton
01-13-08, 10:06 PM
Pretty much. Taking advantage of out of touch video renter. Cheap to make and they turn a profit.

Yes, because screaming fire in a crowded room is the same as stating your opinion on the internet.

Ok, how about this. Don't be shocked if you get into a fight after yelling that the raiders suck in any sports bar in Oakland.

Rockmjd23
01-13-08, 10:08 PM
^ Seriously, what is it with that studio? Do they copy EVERYTHING that comes out these days?
Yeah they have one coming out called 100,000,000 BC too. Don't forget Alien vs. Hunter and I Am Omega.

Arpeggi
01-13-08, 10:11 PM

Calm down.

MartinBlank
01-13-08, 10:28 PM

This happens quite a bit, doesn't it? ID4 had The Arrival, Deep Impact had the "other one" the name escapes me and I don't care enough to check. Don't studios usually have some shelved movie that they release at the same time as a supposed blockbuster in order to cash in on the over-flow, "sorry we're sold out", market?

FinkPish
01-13-08, 10:29 PM
Ok, how about this. Don't be shocked if you get into a fight after yelling that the raiders suck in any sports bar in Oakland.
Just because a thread is created about a potentially popular movie doesn't make it immune from people coming in who have a different opinion. He's allowed to come in and state his opinion without having people jump down his throat. All he said was he wasn't buying into the hype. He didn't come in here trolling or attacking people for thinking differently than him. He just had an opinion that goes against the grain, so big fucking deal.

Rockmjd23
01-13-08, 10:33 PM
This happens quite a bit, doesn't it? ID4 had The Arrival, Deep Impact had the "other one" the name escapes me and I don't care enough to check. Don't studios usually have some shelved movie that they release at the same time as a supposed blockbuster in order to cash in on the over-flow, "sorry we're sold out", market?
The Asylum specifically makes films that are ripoffs of soon to be blockbusters. They usually release them direct to video like a week or 2 before the 'real' movie comes out. They've been doing that since 2005 with a War of the Worlds ripoff and King of the Lost World for King Kong.

whoopdido
01-13-08, 11:01 PM
Calm down.

Excuse me? How did I come off as upset or irrational?

Chad
01-14-08, 12:58 AM
well apparently this is the monster:

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/hyenatraxvegas/cloverfieldmonster.jpg

I highly doubt they would put a monster with a pair of testicles on it's cheek in a PG-13 film. ;)

baracine
01-14-08, 01:25 PM
I'm amazed by the hype. There are the fake Slusho ( http://www.slusho.jp/ ) and Tagruato (http://www.tagruato.jp/) websites, the tell-all fake reviews that could be legitimate (see:
http://hideousblog.blogspot.com/200...eld-review.html )
but are contradicted by a whole lot of other credible evidence. Then there are the IMDb comments with no spoilers, at least half of which look like they've been planted.

As a viral campaign, this is a masterpiece that makes the Blair Witch Project look like a college student prank (No, wait! Blair was a college student prank!). I will probably not see this because of the hand-held camera shooting style which made me fall asleep in the middle of Blair Witch Project and the fact that it looks more and more like the first official Host ripoff... But I might rent it one day.:D

http://www.kpbs.org/blogs/movies/files/2007/09/host.jpg

VHS?
01-14-08, 01:59 PM
You lie....you'll pay the $12 and come back and say you were wrong.....YOU WILL !!!! :p

baracine
01-14-08, 02:04 PM
You lie....you'll pay the $12 and come back and say you were wrong.....YOU WILL !!!! :p

Me? Admit I'm wrong? Never!

Funny thing... Tagruato is the name of the company which manufactures the iced drink Slusho and which, according to some leaked info, is responsible for creating the monster in Cloverfield. Its supposedly Japanese website ( http://www.tagruato.jp/ ) offers you a choice of languages but by an incredible coincidence, the only language that really works is English. Hmmm... I smell a mutant fish...

More and more, the movie's intended audience looks like this:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lj3iNxZ8Dww&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lj3iNxZ8Dww&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Brack
01-14-08, 02:16 PM
This movie is going to bomb if it's only intended for beauty pageant contestants.

baracine
01-14-08, 02:27 PM
This movie is going to bomb if it's only intended for beauty pageant contestants.

No, because she'll tell a friend... and she'll tell a friend... and she'll tell a friend...

Brack
01-14-08, 02:34 PM
No, because she'll tell a friend... and she'll tell a friend... and she'll tell a friend...

I thought you meant what the audience will look like. If people knew this was the case beforehand, everyone on the planet would see this movie.

baracine
01-14-08, 02:35 PM
I thought you meant what the audience will look like. If people knew this was the case beforehand, everyone on the planet would see this movie.

Don't worry, they will!

VHS?
01-14-08, 05:27 PM
Well thats only if um, such as, you are only able to do so, and uh such as South Africa such as watch Cloverfield and help the US learn to watch Cloverfield and such as......

Rockmjd23
01-14-08, 05:31 PM
I just hope that a lot of U.S. Americans come out to see this film.

Doctor Gonzo
01-14-08, 05:49 PM
Box office prediction -- I say it'll pull in $130 million

Anybody else have a guess?

VHS?
01-14-08, 06:00 PM
A Shit Load!

baracine
01-15-08, 08:00 AM
Box office prediction -- I say it'll pull in $130 million

Anybody else have a guess?

Not to mention the money it will make in South Africa, the Iraq and everywhere, like, such as, and. That's what I personally believe.

MartinBlank
01-15-08, 11:29 AM
Not to mention the money it will make in South Africa, the Iraq and everywhere, like, such as, and. That's what I personally believe.

:wtf:

Deftones
01-15-08, 11:56 AM
Scroll up + watch video = understanding of that statement

Trevor
01-15-08, 12:19 PM
Anyone see the recent ESPN x-game commercials? They are cloverfield inspired.

devilshalo
01-15-08, 12:42 PM
Anyone see the recent ESPN x-game commercials? They are cloverfield inspired.
Looked more like Shadow of the Colossus inspired to me.. :shrug:

Trevor
01-15-08, 01:18 PM
Maybe, but only a small percentage of gaming fans know about SoC, while most people have seen the cloverfield trailers.

These new commercials have the shaky-cam feel, the largely hidden monster....

But maybe I'm wrong.

MoviePage
01-15-08, 03:29 PM
Well thats only if um, such as, you are only able to do so, and uh such as South Africa such as watch Cloverfield and help the US learn to watch Cloverfield and such as......

rotfl

MartinBlank
01-15-08, 03:34 PM
OH...the "slow" beauty queen, I get it now.

redrum
01-17-08, 04:51 PM
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/6899/cloverfieldsmalleq0.gif

gif of the monster^

Brack
01-17-08, 05:45 PM

no, that'd be Reign Over Me. ;)

VHS?
01-18-08, 02:49 PM
I was tricked into seeing the monster but oh well.Still want to see the movie.
*image was emailed to me

Image posted below.You are warned.

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/3155/cloverfieldaj4.gif

RichC2
01-18-08, 02:53 PM
I must of been one of the few people where seeing the creature wasn't my reason for wanting to see the movie... at all.

Goldberg74
01-19-08, 09:23 PM
Call sheet and possible ending (WARNING may contain spoilers):
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2007/08/clover_field_wraps_and_weve_got_the_call_sheet.html
Funny thing is...

... they were right.

JTH182
01-19-08, 10:36 PM
So what exactly was the thing that fell into the ocean at the end?

I've heard talks of a sequel... could just be false rumors, but I think there are a lot of things that have been left unanswered or can be explored more with this story.

Jackskeleton
01-20-08, 12:57 AM
satellite. The ARG mentioned a Satellite coming down that belonged to that big Japanese corporation.

JTH182
01-20-08, 05:07 AM
satellite. The ARG mentioned a Satellite coming down that belonged to that big Japanese corporation.

So is it supposed to have anything to do with the monster's origin, or is it just a wink and a nod to the people that followed the ARG?

Jackskeleton
01-20-08, 08:48 AM
who really knows at this point.

I think the whole idea of trying to find an origin to the monster is silly. It's not suppose to have one and lets leave it at that.

From the production notes about the monster:

Building a Better Monster

The visual effects for “Cloverfield” were produced under the direction of visual effects supervisors Kevin Blank, Eric Leven of Tippett Studio and Michael Ellis of London-based Double Negative. Tippett created all the shots that include the monsters, while Double Negative was responsible for all of the other destruction and sequences which did not include the monster.
The concept for the monster (affectionately known simply as “Clover” in-house) is simple, says Abrams. “He’s a baby. He’s brand-new. He’s confused, disoriented and irritable. And he’s been down there in the water for thousands and thousands of years.”
And where is he from? “We don’t say – deliberately,” notes Goddard. “Our movie doesn’t have the scientist in the white lab coat who shows up and explains things like that. We don’t have that scene.”
Not only is the creature disoriented – he’s downright angry. “There are a bunch of smaller things – humans – that are annoying him and shooting at him like a swarm of bees,” observes Reeves. “None of these things are going to kill the monster, but they hurt it and it doesn’t understand. It’s this new environment that it finds frightening.”
For the monster’s design, Abrams engaged veteran creature designer Neville Page, who had just finished creating characters for James Cameron’s upcoming “Avatar” (and is currently working on Abrams’ “Star Trek”).
“So much has been done in so many different movies with large creatures that the trick was to find a way to create a unique character,” explains Abrams. The producer had first become familiar with Page’s work through the designer’s series of instructional DVDs for The Gnoman Workshop. “One of the things that struck me about Neville’s instructional videos was the way he approaches everything from a realistic point of view. He develops non-existing creatures, but can explain to you their physical makeup, musculature and skeletal structure.”
Adds producer Burk, “Neville was the first person we met with. And he’s amazing. He doesn’t just think about designing the creature, he thinks in terms of how it would walk, how it would breathe, what its skin would be like, how it lives – everything.”
Once Page’s designs were complete, it was up to Tippett Studio to implement and refine the monster for inclusion in the few – but crucial – shots in which he appears. “We did a test, where we inserted him into some background plate shot in downtown L.A.,” explains Leven. “We experimented with different looks, in terms of not only the creature itself, but how it would interact with the camera and with light.”
Another facet of the design was added at director Reeves’ suggestion. “I wanted him to have that sort of spooked feeling, the way, when a horse is spooked, you can see the white of its eyes along the bottom. And you see that when the military is firing on him, where he becomes completely agitated and confused.”
As part of a “post-birth ritual,” as Abrams describes it, the monster is seen early on scratching his back on a building (destroying it in the process), to remove a layer of parasites that are set loose to wreak their own havoc on the city.
“Drew and I were struggling with, ‘When you have a monster that size how do you keep the characters from seeming totally irrelevant?’” says Abrams. “How do you have any one-on-one struggle?” Explains Goddard, “Because he’s so big, we knew it was going to be difficult to have intimate sequences. It’s not like any of the characters could fight him or that anyone could even figure out a way to hurt him.”
And because of that, the idea of the parasites was born. “They’re these horrifying, dog-sized creatures that just scatter around the city and add to the nightmare of the evening,” Abrams says.
“The parasites have a voracious, rabid, bounding nature, but they also have a crab-like crawl,” Reeves explains. “They have the viciousness of a dog, but with the ability to climb walls and stick to things.”
In addition, the parasites also move more rapidly than their giant host counterpart. “Tippett Studio has a lot of expertise with these kinds of fast-moving creatures that can destroy people and rip them to shreds, which is always a lot of fun to work on,” says Leven. “They’re like little whirling dervishes that just destroy anything in their path. They’re totally deadly.”