Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Soldier In Th Rain (1963) Steve McQueen/Jackie Gleason???

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-07, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will this ever be released on DVD? It was put out by Key Video on VHS in the 80's or 90's but never released on DVD. I have no idea who has the rights but have read some great reviews about this movie...
Old 06-29-07, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's very good from what I can remember from the single TV airing that I've seen. It's really Jackie Gleason's movie as he plays an eccentric, individualistic Army officer, of all things. He waxes rhapsodic about the simple things that he enjoys, like ice cold Cokes and the air conditioner he has scrounged for his office. He and McQueen have a hilarious discussion where
Spoiler:
they talk about travelling to a South Pacific island where the young girls go topless and their breasts point "up". Just the way that they both emphasize the word "up" is very amusing.
Old 06-29-07, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
I've seen the movie once long time ago and have never forgotten the name of McQueen's dog, Ralph.

Spoiler:
The only scene I remember is him getting the call from home that Ralph has died and he freaks and wants leave to go home and the images of the dog running.
Old 06-29-07, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was a coke machine in the movie that Gleason knew just how to hit on the side so that it would dispense a free Coke. McQueen could never get the hang of it, no matter how much he pounded it, and Gleason would look at him and say, "the machine prefers cash."

Good mixture of comedy and drama.