Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk Review of The New Adventures of Superman

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-07, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I disagree with the reviewer who would like to see the Superboy animated included in the set.WB or Hanna Barbera made the mistake on the Huckleberry Hound set of including Yogi Bear and Pixie and Dixie making for a major headache with repeat cartoons.Superboy should have his own set.
Old 06-29-07, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reviewer is right to suspect that the Superboy cartoons aren't included because of a copyright issue. There is an ongoing lawsuit going on that prohibits use of the character. In 2004, it was ruled that the creator of Superman/boy, Jerry Siegel, had the right to the character.

DC has reacted by not using the character or the name in any media. A Superboy character in the comics was killed off. And in the Legion of Super-heroes cartoon nowadays they have a young Superman on the show instead of Superboy, the name used in the original comic book.
Old 06-29-07, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
They did come out with Superboy (tv)season 1 last June and I think that the problem was around at that time.
Old 07-03-07, 01:03 AM
Defunct Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I disagree with the reviewer who would like to see the Superboy animated included in the set.WB or Hanna Barbera made the mistake on the Huckleberry Hound set of including Yogi Bear and Pixie and Dixie making for a major headache with repeat cartoons.Superboy should have his own set.
As the reviewer who wrote the article you're commenting on, I disagree. (Big surprise there, huh.) Superboy was originally part of the show and they shouldn't cut those segments out. Just as TV sitcoms and dramas should have the original background music, shows that were made up of different shorts should include everything that was shown during the original broadcast. There wouldn't be any repeated cartoons if he was included, the set would just be longer.