Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Transformers"...the (more than meets the eye) reviews thread.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-07, 05:42 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Well, with LFoDH upon us, the newest franchise on the block is starting to make a roar.

"Ain't it Cool News" has some user reviews from other country screenings...
AICN

"Rotten Tomatoes" has 2 up so far...
RT

I'm actually looking forward to this now, while before i didn't even give it a second thought.

**placeholder**
Old 06-27-07, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts
Gonna see it tomorrow...i'll post my thoughts on it tomorrow night.
Old 06-27-07, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm interested in this as well and I'm not a Transformer fan at all. Should be interesting.
Old 06-27-07, 06:15 PM
Banned

I grew up when the Transformers were popular, but I was never that into them. Definitenely going to see this for the action flick that it is. Not expecting anything more than that.
Old 06-27-07, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Yep'. I'm a casual fan. Never really watched the show or played with the toys. But always thought they were pretty cool.

I have a friend, who's a pretty big fan (and baby), who said something like, 'the designs should have been like big blocks ... the Transformers didn't have all of those little intricate moving parts'.

But really, REALLY - ... I don't care ... The movie looks pretty good. I go ga ga over Michael Bay movies. So I'll probably like it.
Old 06-27-07, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Well, I hate Michael Bay with a passion. Like so many people. But with Steven Spielberg producing, I'm going to actually pay to see a Michael Bay film. And truth be told, it does look pretty cool.
Old 06-27-07, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This looks stylistically like Spielberg's 'War of the Worlds' in the effects department. That's a good thing. I'll see this one on the big screen, though I'm not expecting a life changing experience.
Old 06-27-07, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I cant wait to see this, this flick just looks so freaking amazing. The effects are just drawdroping. I love Micheal Bay flicks, He does action like no one else.
Old 06-28-07, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw this tonight @ a special screening. I am not a transformers fan, I never watched the show or had any of the toys. (I'm a Voltron kind of girl)

It reminded me a lot of ID4. (take away from that what you will)
Pros:
I can't nitpick on the how true they were to transformers themselves but the special effects blew me away. Visually and soundwise. I know it was done with computers but damn, so real. When the robots were onscreen it was on, I lost myself in it. The action sequences were insane. Loved every one.
the music fit, will pick up the soundtrack
Shia LaBeouf was great; perfect little wisecrack from his even stevens days

Flaws:
Too much product placement
weak plot devices
cheese dialogue
too long

I give it a B the movie was fun and I had a good time. I know, summer popcorn movie so flaws 2&3 are to be expected but I feel with a shorter run time it would have made for a much better movie.

I also want to note that I was surrounded by some hardcore transformers fans in theatre and they all loved it and called me a heretic for not giving it an A.

my 2.2 cents

Last edited by squidget; 06-28-07 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-28-07, 04:19 AM

I saw this last night as well.

Not a huge Transformers fan, but I thought it was awesome.

Everything worked. The action scenes were insane. The acting was very good. Especially from Shia Lebouf. It was exactly what it needed to be. And I'm sorry, yes there was product placement, but seriously go back and watch the first couple episodes of the original Transformers. Even though they did not have brand name sponsors, there were constantly shots of these creatures transforming and "rolling out"....With several shots of them just driving.

Please give this movie a chance, I was wrong. Michael Bay was the perfect director for the job...

I give it an A, or 4.5 out of 5...

2 minor quibbles
1. Yes, there was some groan inducing lines with the robots. But they were funny.
2. Was it really necessary to have Hugo Weaving as Megatron? With the effects on his voice you couldn't even tell it was him. And you know what? It just sounded like Megatron. They couldn't have thrown the original voice actor a bone? I'm sure they could have gotten him much cheaper than Hugo "Mr. Anderson" Weaving.

Afte the all of the letdowns of the summer so far, this was a pleasant surprise.

P.S. - Peter Cullen as Prime sent shivers down my spine.

Last edited by Evil; 06-28-07 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-28-07, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

can't wait
Old 06-28-07, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
saw it last night and i am a transformers fan.....

i have to say it was what it was.... a summer action flick of a 80's cartoon.... the dialogue was alittle cheesy but so was the dialogue from the cartoon...

the action sequences and special effects are top notch... this spells spielberg all over it.... the music wast great and it wasnt so Bayish..... i guess because spielberg provided the balance...

all in all it was an A... because the commercials said get ready for a ride that will deliver and it did
Old 06-28-07, 07:15 AM

Just got back from the Adelaide Premiere (here in Australia) and it was fu*king awesome. Definetly will see again. Eye candy galore. Especially hearing Optimus Primes voice which is the same guy that did prime for the cartoon in the 80's. Too cool. My most enjoyed movie this year. I kept thinking I can't wait to own this on HD and play it in my theater as the sound rocked.

I guess you can see I liked it
Old 06-28-07, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah... the sound was awesome... it was an awesome theater experience...
Old 06-28-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Does the Prime voice still sound like Cullen? It's not digitized too much is it?

Also, does Prime get to kick some ass?
Old 06-28-07, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Does the Prime voice still sound like Cullen? It's not digitized too much is it?

Please put answer in spoiler tags though.
Old 06-28-07, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Huge TF fan. Not a Michael Bay Fan. Not an "action movie" fan. I swore this movie off long ago, but I'm afraid I may have to eat my words and go check it out. Everything I see looks incredible and these reviews are promising. Hopefully I've suppressed my inner fanboy enough to enjoy this for what it is.
Old 06-28-07, 12:11 PM

Spoiler:
Hell yes it sounds like Prime! An older Prime, but very majestic. Not too much effect wise. And yes he kicks ass. He has a sword built into his arm and goes Sparta on a couple Decepticons.
Old 06-28-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm looking forward to this. I'm not a Bay fan, but after seeing the previews and the positive buzz in this thread, can't wait till Wednesday.
Old 06-28-07, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Apparently the movie is selling tickets like crazy over in South Korea.
Old 06-28-07, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FWIW, I found that third review on the AICN site to be totally rude and insulting to a geekboy like myself. I am glad he liked it and am feeling more positive about the movie, but to insult someone just because they hold something sacred and litter your review with obscenities is downright uncalled for.
Old 06-28-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FWIW, I found that third review on the AICN site to be totally rude and insulting to a geekboy like myself. I am glad he liked it and am feeling more positive about the movie, but to insult someone just because they hold something sacred and litter your review with obscenities is downright uncalled for.
That's pretty much par for the course with those armchair quarterbacks over at AICN. I was reading a talkback about a Transformers Trailer, and this was like, 2 months ago, and someone who doesn't like the new approach to the property just blatently - and with no spoiler warning - ruined a major plot point for me. And the way he did it was sneaky and vendictive, as in, "If I don't get the exact movie I want, I will ruin this one for everybody!" Just totally inappropriate behavior.

-Doc
Old 06-28-07, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's my review and is also up at my blog: nerdsociety.com. Very minor spoilers.

Before I review the movie, let me tell you that I am not a big Transformers’ fan. I never collected the figures, never watched the series but enjoyed the animated movie.

Last night, I was fortunate enough to attend the L.A.’s premiere. I will post some pics of the event later, including the afterparty (open bar and free food)!

What you see in the trailer is pretty much what you get in the movie. Michael Bay knew what the audience wanted and he delivers. I’m not going to describe the plot in detail but it is similar to the animated movie: Two robot clans battling it out for an energy source with some humans involved in it.

The movie starts with great energy as we are shown what these robots can do, to the U.S. military. The pace slows down after the scene as we are introduced to the main characters, Sam(Shia LaBeouf) and Mikaela(Meagan Fox). For the next hour, we get minor battles and we discover why the robots are here. Bay finally learned that non stop action(Bad Boys 2) is overkill. Instead of showing major action piece one after another, Bay builds up the tension and gives us a final battle that is creative and kicks ass.

Just like with other Bay films, there are some juvenile and forced jokes. There were too many comedic moments in this movie and would have been better if they cut some out. Don’t get me wrong, there are some laugh out loud moments, especially with Anthony Anderson. While LaBeouf was excellent as the lead, most of the actors were pretty bad. Tyrese and Josh Duhamel part as U.S. Rangers were bland, while Meagan Fox just stands around posing like a model.

Since we watch the movie for the robots and not the acting, it was still very entertaining. Let me just say this right now: This movie will win best special effects come Oscars’ time. The way the robots transforms into vehicles and vice versa is just so flawless and smooth. What’s equally impressive is the way the robots move: mechanical, yet organic: it was believable. I have always been impressed with Bay’s shot and this one has all the trademark Bay shots. If you expect cool shots you will get it.

Does it meet more than the eye? No, it doesn’t because what you see in the trailer is what you get in the movie: great action sequences and giant robots causing destruction in a major city.

Grade A
Old 06-28-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Evil
He goes Sparta on a couple Decepticons.
"Going Sparta" is my new favourite phrase. I plan to use it at least twice today, even if it means carrying a sword to do it.
Old 06-28-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While I am glad to see positive things, the fact that almost everything starts with: "Okay, I'm not a Transformers fan, but.." is not too encouraging. Then again, if Bay only made the movie for fans of the old one, it would be one of the most expensive flops in movie history.

While I do not doubt this will be popular, I don't think it will be the big movie of the summer. Afterall, it has the fifth Harry Potter movie on its tracks a little over a week later. Unless it gets dynamite word of mouth, I see it fizzling after one week, like every other summer blockbuster does nowadays. Smart move that by the time its first weekend hits it will have been playing for almost a week already. Might not give it that impressive of a weekend run though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.