Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Loving Me Some Scrubs

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loving Me Some Scrubs

I was catching reruns of Scrubs every once in a while, and loving it, so I decided to start with Season 1 to watch them in order.

Omgod, I am loving this show! At first I thought it was pretty slapstick, but now I think it is brilliant. What great writing and characters, and an unexpected blend of tender, heartfelt moments in the middle of a great comedy.

And may I say, that along with Alias, this has got to be the best soundtrack on TV.

Maybe I'm missing watching my regular shows, but this is by far one of my favs and I'm gonna invest in the whole series.

I can, however, see how it can burn out and get old though. But for now, I'm enjoying the ride.
Old 06-26-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The early seasons were especially awesome. I still love the show, but I got annoyed with how increasingly asinine JD became with each passing season. It's almost an exact parallel to Homer Simpson's development over the years.
Old 06-26-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
I enjoy the show as more episodes are hit than miss, the characters and likeable and the overall tone is wacky and enjoyable.

That said, I understand why it isn't a huge show (it does get too quirky for its own good, some of it just silly (which a lot of people seem to hate) and some of the slapstick is cringe enducing) but for me, it is one of the more entertaining sitcoms on tv.
Old 06-26-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched the first several seasons last summer to get caught up in time for this season. Loved what I watched then, but new stuff doesn't do much for me anymore.

The Todd jokes, appletinis, JD being "girly", Ted's issues, the janitor....to me those topics are getting a little worn out.
Old 06-26-07, 01:37 PM

Love the Turk and Carla relationship. In fact, love anything Turk does. That guy is awesome.
Old 06-26-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Have watched the first 5 seasons on DVD, and am hoping to watch all of season 6 before the next season starts. I have enjoyed it, and while JD doesn't seem as believable a character anymore I still think the show is consistently funny.
Old 06-26-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Even the newer episodes are better than most of the other stuff out there. I have, however, had enough of Jerkass J.D.
Old 06-26-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by magiccmom
And may I say, that along with Alias, this has got to be the best soundtrack on TV.
Unquestionably. Here is a site with music by the episode. They already have 2 soundtracks out (the 2nd only appears to be available from iTunes directly though). Both are excellent. I go to that site and am slowly building my own Scrubs playlist on my iPod.

Glad you could join the fold in time for what looks to be the final season of the show next year!
Old 06-26-07, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Unquestionably. Here is a site with music by the episode. They already have 2 soundtracks out (the 2nd only appears to be available from iTunes directly though). Both are excellent. I go to that site and am slowly building my own Scrubs playlist on my iPod.

Glad you could join the fold in time for what looks to be the final season of the show next year!
Thanks! Will start my downloading now!
Old 06-26-07, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan

I have been loving Scrubs for years, and wishing I had those songs! Thanks from me too.
Old 06-26-07, 10:59 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
yeah, rfduncan, i've been slowly building my playlists as well. it sucked for season 1, when they replaced a lot of the songs for the DVD release. That made it a bit more complicated.
Old 06-27-07, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I also started renting the seasons, straight through for a couple of weeks. I definately got tired of the intro song.

Janitor always makes me laugh, and Cox has a good balance to his character. The show does a decent job of being funny and serious at the same time. The episode where Cox's brother passed away had a pretty depressing ending, which I certainly didn't see coming.
Old 06-27-07, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
yeah, rfduncan, i've been slowly building my playlists as well. it sucked for season 1, when they replaced a lot of the songs for the DVD release. That made it a bit more complicated.
Thats sucks, I didn't realize that. This one is especially bad, as the original is a great song:

Episode 1.10 - "My Nickname"
Scene: Carla leaves J.D. at the bus stop in the rain.
"On Fire" by Sebadoh. Album: 'Harmacy'
DVD Version: "Heard Ya Talkin'" by Jeremy Kay. Album: 'Jeremy Kay'
Old 06-27-07, 07:31 AM

Scrubs is the greatest comedy show of all-time in my opinion & nothing can beat the high quality writing, acting, directing, laughs like Scrubs can.
I can't say enough good things about this show. I extremely recommed to anyone that asks me if I could suggest any TV shows that they should go out & buy Scrubs -seasons 1-5 on DVD rite now!
I like alot of TV shows but even the worst episode of Scrubs is still better than anything & I mean anything on Television. It's also one of the few TV shows in history that did the nearly impossible task of making you feel like you already knew the characters from the "pilot" episode.

The only Comedy I find just as funny but not quite is The Larry Sander Show, which is simply another brilliant comedy gem & are my 2 favorite comedies of all-time.
Old 06-27-07, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by nateman241
Scrubs is the greatest comedy show of all-time in my opinion & nothing can beat the high quality writing, acting, directing, laughs like Scrubs can.
I can't say enough good things about this show. I extremely recommed to anyone that asks me if I could suggest any TV shows that they should go out & buy Scrubs -seasons 1-5 on DVD rite now!
I like alot of TV shows but even the worst episode of Scrubs is still better than anything & I mean anything on Television. It's also one of the few TV shows in history that did the nearly impossible task of making you feel like you already knew the characters from the "pilot" episode.

The only Comedy I find just as funny but not quite is The Larry Sander Show, which is simply another brilliant comedy gem & are my 2 favorite comedies of all-time.
J/W are you an Office fan?
Old 06-27-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only thing that grates on me about Scrubs is Dr. Cox. His character got tired quickly as my wife and I were watching the DVD's.
Old 06-27-07, 11:47 AM

J/W are you an Office fan?
Oddly enough no,
I tried so many times to like the show but I just couldn't. I just don't find it that funny compared to Scrubs & The Larry Sanders Show. I do however love 30 Rock & My name is Earl which are 2 of the best produced comedies on Television next to Scrubs.
I know you didn't ask but I can't stand Seinfeld, to be it's just another sitcom (ohh...god I've pissed off the entire world now!).
On that note however I do like Steve Carrell because I find him to be a pretty likeable guy unlike Zach Braff who is a good actor but sometimes he can get a little strange. Jenna Fischer is hot too & looks like a pretty nice woman from what I have seen on some of the Late Night talk shows, but shes no Sarah Chalke who is simply the most sexy & unique looking woman on Television.
The only thing that grates on me about Scrubs is Dr. Cox. His character got tired quickly as my wife and I were watching the DVD's.
Really? I love Dr. Cox (played by Mr. John C. McGinley) & he's my favorite character on the show next to The Janitor (played by Mr. Neil Flynn).

Last edited by nateman241; 06-27-07 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-27-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nazgul
Weird. Dr Cox never grows old as far as I'm concerned. In fact, lately, Scrubs has become like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, in that I actually prefer all the supporting characters over the lead.
Old 06-27-07, 01:31 PM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
I just got into this show as well. Borrowed first two seasons from a friend, and now I'm watching season 3 and have 4 and 5 queued with Blockbuster Online. I'm really enjoying it. I'm hoping to find a way to watch season 6 before the new season starts this fall. Anyone know if they are showing it in reruns yet?
Old 06-27-07, 01:38 PM

Weird. Dr Cox never grows old as far as I'm concerned. In fact, lately, Scrubs has become like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, in that I actually prefer all the supporting characters over the lead.
I agree,
Scrubs is one of those shows where the supporting Cast is actually just as good or better than the lead of the show. I like J.D. (Zach Braff) but without John C. McGinley's "Dr.Cox" or Neil Flynn's "The Janitor" the show wouldn't be as funny as it is.
Old 06-27-07, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by nateman241
Oddly enough no,
I tried so many times to like the show but I just couldn't. I just don't find it that funny compared to Scrubs & The Larry Sanders Show. I do however love 30 Rock & My name is Earl which are 2 of the best produced comedies on Television next to Scrubs.
I know you didn't ask but I can't stand Seinfeld, to be it's just another sitcom (ohh...god I've pissed off the entire world now!).
On that note however I do like Steve Carrell because I find him to be a pretty likeable guy unlike Zach Braff who is a good actor but sometimes he can get a little strange. Jenna Fischer is hot too & looks like a pretty nice woman from what I have seen on some of the Late Night talk shows, but shes no Sarah Chalke who is simply the most sexy & unique looking woman on Television.
I never knew how attractive Sarah Chalke was until this show, but I agree...she is very sexy. I love Seinfeld and The Office, but "My Name is Earl" does zilch for me, and I have given it many many tries. The Office is my favorite, but Scrubs is def. catching up and is a great summer filler.
Old 06-27-07, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Count me as another one who recently started watching the broadcasts and is catching up with the DVDs. Although it messes up the character development sometimes. I was finishing season 3 just before the end of the current season.
Spoiler:
So, I see JD moping about Eliot getting married with him thinking, "It should have been me." In my perspective, I'm thinking, "You asshole! Just last week, you got her to dump her boyfriend, then you said you didn't love her! Jerk!"

Scrubs is currently my sitcom du jour de blanchisserie (sitcom of the laundry day). It's my timing mechanism so I don't leave laundry in the washer or dryer too long. See, a wash cycle takes 25 minutes and a dry cycle takes 45 minutes. So, I start a wash, watch an episode. Transfer to clothes to dryer, watch another episode. Start another wash, another episode. Once that episode's done, the first load is ready to come out of the dryer and I repeat as necessary. Makes laundry day go better too. I'm starting on season 5 and once that's done, I think I'll move on to Newsradio.
Old 06-27-07, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Love Scrubs. Dr. Cox is my favorite character. Second best comedic show of all time (number one is Arrested Development).

= J
Old 06-27-07, 05:58 PM

scrubs is great, Season 5 is my favorite
Old 06-27-07, 06:24 PM

Dr. Cox is what got me to fall for the show to start with. I saw him popping off in one of the ads and got interested in the show. I watched it once and never looked back. I love all the characters, but he is still my favorite.