DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Cable modem going out every few mins

j123vt_99
06-25-07, 07:31 PM
Need some suggestions. I have a cable modem and everything had worked great. Now, every 5 mins or so, the send light turns off and my connection dies. It stays dead for about 30 seconds and then starts up. Sometimes it is a little longer or shorter, but it starts up regardless. I called the cable company and they sent someone out. The connection was strong and they swapped the modem out 2x. Of course the connection didn;t die when they were here. Any suggestions? I do have a router but the problem is identical if I take the router out of the equation.

DVDho78DTS
06-25-07, 08:12 PM
I had a similar type problem once but it has been a while so my memory might not be 100%. Basically, I called and they ran a test to see if the line to the house was fine and since it was that nixed that as a possible problem, so the next idea was to switch modems and that didn't help. It ended up being a problem with the splitter that is the box inside the house.

j123vt_99
06-25-07, 08:22 PM
I had a similar type problem once but it has been a while so my memory might not be 100%. Basically, I called and they ran a test to see if the line to the house was fine and since it was that nixed that as a possible problem, so the next idea was to switch modems and that didn't help. It ended up being a problem with the splitter that is the box inside the house.

We swapped modems with no help. They ran the test and to check the line and everything was cool. What do you mean by the splitter?

DVDho78DTS
06-25-07, 08:39 PM
I'm no expert on the matter but the answer the repair man gave me was something along the lines of the splitter that is put in the gray box (structured wiring network) in the master bedroom closet that sends the juice to each room of the house since we have cable TV and cable internet with the same company.

j123vt_99
06-25-07, 08:41 PM
I think the guy checked that when he came out. I'm so close to throwing this modem out.

DVDho78DTS
06-25-07, 08:47 PM
It doesn't seem likely for multiple modems to have the same problem but you never know. Did you run a virus scan for a virus that could possibly be knocking you offline? If you know how to use Hijackthis run & save the log and post it here if ya want. It will show if you have any viruses or connection issues.

j123vt_99
06-25-07, 08:52 PM
It doesn't seem likely for multiple modems to have the same problem but you never know. Did you run a virus scan for a virus that could possibly be knocking you offline? If you know how to use Hijackthis run & save the log and post it here if ya want. It will show if you have any viruses or connection issues.

I don't think it is computer related because I run 2 comps at the same time (laptop on wireless and desktop) and the problem happens regardless of which comps are on (1 on or both on)

DVDho78DTS
06-25-07, 08:57 PM
I don't think it is computer related because I run 2 comps at the same time (laptop on wireless and desktop) and the problem happens regardless of which comps are on (1 on or both on)

Well, if you have a virus on the desktop that could be possibly disabling the internet connection you won't receive it through anything you have hooked up wireless or am I missing something?

j123vt_99
06-25-07, 09:06 PM
Well, if you have a virus on the desktop that could be possibly disabling the internet connection you won't receive it through anything you have hooked up wireless or am I missing something?

Both machines are protected pretty heavily against viruses. If I use the desktop (hooked up to the router) the problem happens. If I use the laptop (wireless) problem happens. I also use the laptop at work and have never had a problem at work.

Not trying to shoot down your ideas. I apprecaite the help

DVDho78DTS
06-25-07, 09:16 PM
Well, I'm out of ideas here then if it isn't a virus, the modem, and the juice is getting to the house and then from the gray box to the room ok. I'm not exactly sure what else could be the problem if you have all the wires firmly in place. I remember calling once because during the day my connection would go out for hours at a time but seem to come back on around 5:00pm, but it gradually got worse over time and to the point where the CS rep. said i was barely holding a connection and that is what lead to it being the splitter problem. I also had a problem with one of the connection wires from the modem or the wire from the wall coming loose.

Patman
06-25-07, 09:26 PM
When I had an issue like this, it ended up being the cable from the pedestal going bad, and the cable company ended up burying a new cable (some gell-filled cable with much lower loss than the old RG-6 that was previously buried into the ground).

The analog cable TV signal on my TV improved dramatically with the new cable in place.

oppie1
06-26-07, 04:08 PM
When I had an issue like this, it ended up being the cable from the pedestal going bad, and the cable company ended up burying a new cable (some gell-filled cable with much lower loss than the old RG-6 that was previously buried into the ground).

The analog cable TV signal on my TV improved dramatically with the new cable in place.
that "gel" is called flooding compound. its there for should the jacket get pierced, the compound will seep out and seal the hole

j123vt_99
06-26-07, 06:14 PM
thanks guys.. called the cable company and they will be back out here on thurs.