Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Winter War - why so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-07, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Winter War - why so expensive?

The DVD costs $45 on amazon and I'm pretty sure I haven't seen it anywhere else. So what's with the price and is it available somewhere else for decent money?
Old 06-25-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewprod...ductId=5739039
Old 06-25-07, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
I bought the R2 Finnish DVD many years ago. It has a much better picture (although still non-anamorphic), some extras, and a longer cut of the movie. You do need a region-free player that can convert PAL to NTSC. Here's a link although they're out of stock at the moment.

(Didn't notice your location. Looks like you wouldn't have to worry about region and PAL issues)
Old 06-25-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giggles
The DVD costs $45 on amazon and I'm pretty sure I haven't seen it anywhere else. So what's with the price and is it available somewhere else for decent money?
I also bought it at Deep Discount and do not regret it one bit. A fascinating story that I really enjoyed, especially already knowing the historical background on the Russian invasion of Finland.
Old 06-25-07, 02:04 PM

Isn't the R1 release severely cut? The R1 only runs about 125 minutes. The R2 runs about 190. That's over an hour of footage lost!

BTW, thanks for the link Mugwump. I didn't realize that the Finnish DVD had English subs!
Old 06-25-07, 03:58 PM

Thanks guys for DeepDiscount heads-up and for Filmifrikki link. I always knew of this site but somehow didn't think of a possibility for Finnish site to have a Finnish movie
Now I have to figure out if they ship to my whereabouts and study the cut status of the film. More than an hour cut from the US release - that seems at least strange doesn't it?
Old 06-26-07, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Giggles
More than an hour cut from the US release - that seems at least strange doesn't it?
Yes, it does, but I just noticed that the R1 DVD is distributed by Belle & Blade, a very small company that has only released about a dozen DVDs. I imagine that they had to use whatever print was given to them. (Based on Amazon reviews, it sounds like they may have used an old TV print for their DVD -- which would cause other problems besides being edited.) If I were you, I'd definitely go with the Finnish release. I probably will myself before long. Taking PAL speed-up into account, its running time matches what's listed on IMDb.
Old 06-26-07, 02:00 PM

Yes, I think I'll definately go with the Finnish version. Besides shipping to my location will be a bit faster from Finland than from the US
Old 06-26-07, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
I previously owned the VHS from Belle & Blade and I imagine the DVD is sourced from the same print. Needless to say the Finnish DVD is a substantial upgrade in quality.