Reload this Page >

KISSology Vol. 2 -> 8/14/07

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-23-07, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all.

I posted about this in the music board's KISSology thread, but since it relates specifically to the DVD's release, I thought it might be of interest here too for those who don't check the music board.

All this information is from the sales sheet (here and here ), with the "notes" from kissfaq.de:

• In Stores – 8/14/07
• MSRP: $34.98

DVD ONE
• “Land Of Hype And Glory with Edwin Newman” – (1/10/78 )
*note: this features an interview with the band and Bill Aucoin and live-footage, great early US-TV-report.

• “KISS IN ATTACK OF THE PHANTOMS”
(1979) movie - previously unreleased European Theatrical version
*note: seems not confirmed yet. If they are clever, they include several audio tracks in different languages.

• The Tomorrow Show With Tom Snyder – (10/31/79)
*note: classic talkshow where Ace stole the show.

DVD TWO

• “Shandi” (music video) – (1980)

• CNN Interview with Peter Criss – (9/24/80)
*note: this interview has never before seen and is new even to the collectors.

• Countdown – (9/21/80)
*note: this is an Australian show where Kiss gets interviewed and introduce Eric Carr. Again, Ace steals the show...

• Rockpop – (9/13/80)
“She’s So European”
“Talk To Me”

• KISS Invades Australia – (11/80) Documentary

• Sydney Showground Sydney, Australia – (11/22/80)
“Detroit Rock City”
“Cold Gin”
“Strutter”
“Shandi”
“Calling Dr. Love”
“Firehouse”
“Talk To Me”
“Is That You”
“2000 Man”
“I Was Made For Lovin’ You”
“New York Groove”
“Love Gun”
“God Of Thunder”
“Rock And Roll All Nite”
“Shout It Out Loud”
“King Of The Night Time World”
“Black Diamond”
*note: this is what everybody was looking for: the full show in perfect quality!

• Fridays – (1/15/82)
“The Oath”
“A World Without Heroes”
“I”

• Top Pop – (11/82)
“I Love It Loud”
*note: not even half the song was shown on TV, so let's wait which version this is...

DVD THREE
• Maracana Stadium
Rio De Janeeiro, Brazil –(6/18/83)
“Creatures Of The Night”
“Cold Gin”
“Calling Dr. Love”
“Firehouse”
“I Love It Loud”
“War Machine”
“Black Diamond”
“Rock And Roll All Nite”
*note: these are the songs from the TV-Special

• MTV Special: KISS Unmasking –(9/18/83)
*note: first time Kiss appeared on TV without make-up

• Cascais Hall Lisbon, Portugal – (10/11/83)
“Creatures Of The Night”
“Detroit Rock City”
*note: first ever live appearance in public without make-up

• The Spectrum Philadelphia, PA – (12/18/87)
“Love Gun”
“Bang Bang You”
“No, No, No”
“Crazy Crazy Nights”
“Reason To Live”
*note: the whole show is circulating in collectors circles. Hopefully it will be at least in better quality...

• The Palace At Auburn Hills
Detroit, MI – (10/14/90)
“I Stole Your Love”
“Deuce”
“Heaven’s On Fire”
“Crazy Crazy Nights”
“Black Diamond”
“Shout It Out Loud”
“Strutter”
“Calling Dr. Love”
“I Was Made For Lovin’ You”
“Fits Like A Glove”
“Hide Your Heart”
“Lick It Up”
“God Of Thunder”
“Forever”
“Cold Gin”
“Tears Are Falling”
“I Love It Loud”
“Love Gun”
“Detroit Rock City”
“I Want You”
“Rock And Roll All Nite”
*note: if the set-list is correct, "Rise to It" is missing...

• Music Video – (1991)
“God Gave Rock ‘N’ Roll To You II”

• Day In Rock – (11/25/91)
MTV News excerpt

• BONUS 4TH DISC limited to initial orders Exclusively for Fontana Distribution
“The Crazy Nights Tour”
(4/21/88 ) – Tokyo, Japan – Budokan Hall
“Love Gun”
“Cold Gin”
“Crazy Crazy Nights”
“Heaven’s On Fire”
“War Machine”
“I Love It Loud”
“Lick It Up”
“I Was Made For Lovin’ You” and
“Detroit Rock City”

-------------------------------------

Since that sale sheet was released, kissonline.com has added a "more details pending" tag to the first disc, so it seems either the movie may wind up disappearing, or simply that more will be added to the disc.
Old 06-23-07, 03:53 PM

Right on! August is going to rule.
Old 06-23-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Maracana Stadium
Rio De Janeeiro, Brazil –(6/18/83)

Sweet. I'va always wanted to see more of this show and it's crowd of 140,000
Old 06-23-07, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Great looking disc. I'm just glad to see the infamous Synder interview on there. That alone is worth the price. I wonder how much (if at all) some of this material has been cleaned up for the release.
Old 06-24-07, 07:59 AM

What happened to all the music videos though? I figured they will add all the 80's mtv videos like Crazy nights, Reason to live, Heaven's on fire, Tears are falling, and a whole lot more.
Old 06-24-07, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what the hell is "Exclusively for Fontana Distribution" and how do I get it?
Old 06-24-07, 08:49 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in like Flynn for this one, but I gotta ask...where the hell is Largo,MD, 1979?!?! That really should be on there.
Old 06-24-07, 10:32 AM

The general consensus on the kissfaq board seems to be that most people think Gene & Paul probably don't want the Largo show represented due to the poor performance...which in turn sparked a debate of whether or not the show really *is* a poor performance, but that's another can of worms. (And several suspect that the "more details pending" on kissonline could mean Largo '79 is being added to the first disc.)

Nobody's really sure what's up with the bonus discs. Rumor is there may wind up being more than the one that's announced right now. Apparently the current disc only goes to places who order from Fontana Dist., but I have no idea what stores get their stock from them. Perhaps someone in retail can shed some light on that?
Old 06-24-07, 11:17 AM
Banned

Am I correct in saying that Kiss Meets The Phantom has never been released on dvd yet? What a great addition to this box set...Also does anyone know if they are doing multiple store exclusives like Volume 1?
Old 06-24-07, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Wildo1966
Am I correct in saying that Kiss Meets The Phantom has never been released on dvd yet? What a great addition to this box set...Also does anyone know if they are doing multiple store exclusives like Volume 1?
There was the Cheezy Flicks release of KMtP, but it was essentially a bootleg and disappeared fairly quickly. The version that's slated to be on this set is actually the 1979 theatrical version that was screened in Europe (music from the 1978 solo albums replaces Hanna-Barbera's score, and apparently some scenes are in different order), which hasn't ever been officially released on *any* video format.
Old 06-24-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rainet
What happened to all the music videos though? I figured they will add all the 80's mtv videos like Crazy nights, Reason to live, Heaven's on fire, Tears are falling, and a whole lot more.
There's separate DVD release for music videos (which everyone has seen millions of times). This is for the concerts! (many of which have not been seen by the public before!)
Old 06-24-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lugnut2099
There was the Cheezy Flicks release of KMtP, but it was essentially a bootleg and disappeared fairly quickly. The version that's slated to be on this set is actually the 1979 theatrical version that was screened in Europe (music from the 1978 solo albums replaces Hanna-Barbera's score, and apparently some scenes are in different order), which hasn't ever been officially released on *any* video format.
I was one of the lucky few that managed to find a copy of the Cheezy Flicks disc, but I'll definitely pick this up should the Euro version be included.
Old 06-24-07, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
I'm in like Flynn for this one, but I gotta ask...where the hell is Largo,MD, 1979?!?! That really should be on there.
Agree 100%. I'm really surprised that isn't on there. I have a video of it, and don't think it's a bad performance overall. Hopefully it will be an exclusive disc for some chain, because I really want to update my tape. It's great to see the Snyder interview and Fridays peformances on there. And the Euro cut ATTACK OF THE PHANTOMS is a complete (but very pleasant) surprise. Hope that turns out to be true.
Old 06-25-07, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
I figured the reason they cut the last one off at 78 was so that they could include the 79 Largo show on the "80's" volume. Really surprised it is not on there but it will probably be a bonus disc.
Old 06-25-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll be getting this also. All the bonus crap has me a little bummed though. I'm not one to go and purchase multiple copies of the same thing for 1 extra disc. But if someone puts the Largo show out, then that's the one I'll get.
Old 06-26-07, 12:40 PM
mxv

Too much stuff on this from the "non makeup" years for my liking, but there may be just enough of the makeup era stuff on there to probably get me to purchase it when it comes out.
Old 06-26-07, 12:55 PM

I hope there's not 3 different bonus discs like last time. I bought one from Best Buy and then the one from Walmart for the bonus disc from Largo, MD. Looks good though and will be picking it up on release day.
Old 06-26-07, 03:08 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm excited out of my mind to get Tom Snyder on DVD not to mention getting Brazil with Vinnie "The Wiz" Vincent. Also quite excited about Austraila 1980, which has what is probably the greatest vocals of Paul Stanley's life.

Hopefully that Japan '88 show will be released at Best Buy or Walmart, as I have a VHS of if somewhere and remember it being a good pro-shot show.
If I remember they filmed it and were going to do a pay-per-view which never happened.
Old 06-26-07, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by mxv
Too much stuff on this from the "non makeup" years for my liking, but there may be just enough of the makeup era stuff on there to probably get me to purchase it when it comes out.
Not nearly enough non-makeup material for my tastes, but I should be happy that there's any at all on it, given the way they market the band these days.
Old 06-26-07, 09:34 PM

It looks like (as always with KISS) that they've lost focus with this release. I was hoping and assuming we'd get 3 solid KISSologies, with #2 being from where #1 left off until the Kulick era, and have #2 focus on all the changes and unmasking. But alas, it seems that we skip over most of the glam period to Revenge. I was hoping #3 would focus on the glam period, because I loved Crazy Nights.

Ah well, guess Gene was too busy clipping his toenails...
Old 06-28-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like there will be more bonus discs again. From billboard.com.....

Kiss will follow up its wildly successful 2006 DVD box set, "Kissology: Volume One, 1974-1977," on Aug. 14 with a second volume chronicling 1978-1991 via VH1 Classic Records.

"It's fantastic that 'Volume One' of 'Kissology' has done huge numbers, but does it surprise me? No, not at all," Kiss guitarist Tommy Thayer tells Billboard.com. "This is Kiss in its early raw form, four guys with the hunger and fire, aspiring to take on the world. All this great footage is finally available and it's exciting."

"Volume Two" will be comprised of three DVDs and a fourth disc that will vary by retailer. The first disc will feature a news special on the band from 1978 and an infamous 1979 interview with Tom Snyder, with other elements still pending, according to Kiss' Web site.

The second disc shows Kiss in transition, as it features the last promo video to with original drummer Peter Criss ("Shandi"). His replacement, Eric Carr, is behind the kit for a complete November 1980 concert at Australi's Sydney Showground. Also included are the only live renditions of material from the strangest studio album to bear the Kiss logo, "(Music From) The Elder," taped on the late-night show "Fridays" in 1982.

Disc three chronicles Kiss' comeback via a mammoth outdoor gig in Rio de Janeiro from June 1983, one of its last in makeup. Also included is Kiss' infamous "unmasking" on MTV from later that year, a handful of performances from the Lick It Up and Crazy Nights tours and a full 1990 show from Detroit.

Asked why "Volume 2" doesn't include any complete shows from the Lick It Up or Asylum tours, Thayer explains, "We chose the best songs from those concerts. Remember, the 'Volume Two' DVD is over seven hours long and from tour to tour, many of the same songs are played, so you have to pick the choice songs and moments without being too repetitive. When you create a DVD package there are time considerations -- you can only physically put so much on a DVD disc, and each volume of 'Kissology' is designed in advance to be a three-disc set."
Old 06-29-07, 07:40 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Dubya
Asked why "Volume 2" doesn't include any complete shows from the Lick It Up or Asylum tours, Thayer explains, "We chose the best songs from those concerts. Remember, the 'Volume Two' DVD is over seven hours long and from tour to tour, many of the same songs are played, so you have to pick the choice songs and moments without being too repetitive. When you create a DVD package there are time considerations -- you can only physically put so much on a DVD disc, and each volume of 'Kissology' is designed in advance to be a three-disc set."
Hopefully the will issue a full Lick It Up era show on a bonus disc...
Old 06-29-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Dubya
Looks like there will be more bonus discs again. From billboard.com.....

Kiss will follow up its wildly successful 2006 DVD box set, "Kissology: Volume One, 1974-1977," on Aug. 14 with a second volume chronicling 1978-1991 via VH1 Classic Records.

"It's fantastic that 'Volume One' of 'Kissology' has done huge numbers, but does it surprise me? No, not at all," Kiss guitarist Tommy Thayer tells Billboard.com. "This is Kiss in its early raw form, four guys with the hunger and fire, aspiring to take on the world. All this great footage is finally available and it's exciting."

"Volume Two" will be comprised of three DVDs and a fourth disc that will vary by retailer. The first disc will feature a news special on the band from 1978 and an infamous 1979 interview with Tom Snyder, with other elements still pending, according to Kiss' Web site.

The second disc shows Kiss in transition, as it features the last promo video to with original drummer Peter Criss ("Shandi"). His replacement, Eric Carr, is behind the kit for a complete November 1980 concert at Australi's Sydney Showground. Also included are the only live renditions of material from the strangest studio album to bear the Kiss logo, "(Music From) The Elder," taped on the late-night show "Fridays" in 1982.

Disc three chronicles Kiss' comeback via a mammoth outdoor gig in Rio de Janeiro from June 1983, one of its last in makeup. Also included is Kiss' infamous "unmasking" on MTV from later that year, a handful of performances from the Lick It Up and Crazy Nights tours and a full 1990 show from Detroit.

Fantastic!! I am all over this.
Old 06-29-07, 01:14 PM

Looks like more than one bonus disc again. From kissonline:

Inside sources confirm that, like Vol. 1, there will, in fact, be three different limited edition “4th bonus discs” in the initial pressings of KISSOLOGY Vol. 2. Retailer details are not confirmed at this time. The shows to be featured are:

Capital Centre – Largo, MD – 7/7/79 (Dynasty Tour) [track listing forthcoming, though ALL 4 solo albums songs will be included]

Budokan Hall – Tokyo Japan – 4/21/88 (Crazy Nights Tour)

The Ritz – New York City – 8/13/88 (Crazy Nights Tour)

Everyone should feel confident that no matter where they go within the first week or two of release, they’ll get a 4 disc version. Excitement and value are big considerations for everyone involved in the KISSOLOGY series. For those interested in all three bonus discs, specific retailer details will be forthcoming.

Seems "Attack of the Phantoms" is confirmed now, too.
Old 06-30-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I was only going to get one, but now, I may have to get two. The Largo show is definite. And I'll have to pick one of the Crazy Nights shows. Is one better than the other?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.