Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dissapointed with LADY IN THE WATER? Well, rent Edward Norton's DOWN IN THE VALLEY.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Dissapointed with LADY IN THE WATER? Well, rent Edward Norton's DOWN IN THE VALLEY.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-07, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The M. Night Shamalyan Award goes to Edward Norton's DOWN IN THE VALLEY for the most unexpectedly bizzare movie of the year, with a twist that I would have never guessed. Definitely worth renting just to see Edward Norton. Of all the young leading actors, I don't think I've seen Norton or even Christian Bale poorly act. They might have been in bad movies, but these two actors are the best young actors today and give 100% of whatever movie they are in.
Old 06-21-07, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Can you explain how it is bizarre exactly? And what does M. Night Shamalyan have to do with it? And Christian Bale?
Old 06-21-07, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Heres the summary from IMDB
Tobe is about 16, living with her dad and younger brother in LA's San Fernando Valley. She invites a gas station attendant named Harlan to come to the beach with her and her friends. He's from South Dakota, wears a cowboy hat, talks country, and has been a ranch hand. They have a great time, his simple expressions seem like wisdom, he's attentive and polite, and even though he's more than twice her age, she wants to spend time with him. When her father objects, she rebels. Harlan, meanwhile, thinks she's his soul mate, and he starts making plans to get her away from her father. Worlds are set to collide, but which ones?
Doesnt really sound all that interesting but I do like Edward Norton. Can anybody else vouch for this one?
Old 06-21-07, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The performances are great all around in this. Evan Rachel Wood will be seeing Oscars in her future if she keeps it up, and David Morse turns in a great performance as well.

A good movie...I'd say certainly worth renting at least, which I did, but I often get a hankerin' to watch it again so I might buy it sometime.
Old 06-21-07, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I rented it a few months ago and wasn't too impressed. It's not something you would want to watch more than one time. It completely falls apart during the second half of the film.
Old 06-21-07, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's certainly an entertaining movie seen at least once. I wouldn't want to watch this flick again, but certainly worth renting, because it turns out to be more bizarre than expected.
Old 06-21-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
Travis Bickle in a Sundance mold. Good performances all around, but as others have stated, the second half kindda drags.
Old 06-21-07, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
I have no idea what one movie has to do with the other. Big budget/high profile movie and a low budget/indie film. I expected nothing from "Down In The Valley" and enjoyed it for it's performances. I hated "Lady in the Water" because it was more M. Night Shamalyan crap and was bored from beginning to end. Let's hope the guy gets back on track soon. I haven't counted him out just yet.
Old 06-21-07, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
....or you could just go rent "badlands"
Old 06-22-07, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
David Morse turns in a great performance as well.
This guy is as valuable as they come. I've never seen him give a bad performance.
Old 06-22-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I enjoyed the film. I think the 2nd part of the movie really shows how nuts Edward Norton's character really is.
Old 06-22-07, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Of all the young leading actors, I don't think I've seen Norton or even Christian Bale poorly act.
I thought he pretty much phoned in 'The Italian Job'. I understand he was forced to do it, but it just seemed kinda petulant and childish.