Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

French 2-disk DVD and Blu-Ray DVD of PAPRIKA available now!

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 06-21-07, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard about a delay of the French DVD release of Japan's PAPRIKA. I don't know about France, but it's available here in Switzerland. I picked up the Regular 2-disk DVD of PAPRIKA. They also had the Blu-Ray DVD as well.
I checked both disks and I will confirm the definite specs:

FILM: French or Japananese DD 5.1, Japanese DTS; anamorphic video;
English, French, Arab subtitles.
NO ENGLISH SUBTITLES on the audio commentary (only french subtitles)

EXTRAS: Every single extra has English subtitles, and also plentiful other subtitles in other languages. (It's wierd that there are only three language subtitles on the movie, but there are about 10 different language subtitles for the extras).

NOTE: I would like to also add that this DVD is certainly PAL REGION 2. I have a multi-region DVD player so it played fine on that, but on my laptop computer, which is set for NTSC DVDs, the PAPRIKA DVD did not work. I know once in a while that some non-Region 1 NTSC DVDs or PAL dvds sometimes work on my NTSC DVD-rom, but the French PAPRIKA certainly is not All-Region.

Last edited by toddly6666; 06-21-07 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-21-07, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just watched the movie, not bad, not great - just a typical Japanese animated movie with good animation, interesting complex topic (dreams) but messy story, emotionless/not touching, and of course an apocolypse-inspired ending (and no, this isn't a spoiler). I would give the movie 8 out of 10 just because the animators work so hard. But Japanese animation producers should seriously let non-Asian screenwriters write their animated movies already.

I'm beginning to realize that Japanese animated movies are broken down into two categories:
1. the films that follow the above listed description.
2. Miyazaki and Ghibli films - totally balanced animated films that not only have amazing animation, wacky characters, interesting yet simple stories, but they also have a heart, are touching, and highly memorable.
Old 06-22-07, 02:16 AM

i've reading a mention at catsuka (in french) that the french dvd and blu-ray may be affected by underscan - i don't really know if that's a huge issue for everyone, but considering we seem to be getting a few editions slipping out in european countries that all seem to be based on the same disc (simply with different artwork for the sleeve) we may find all subsequent editions suffer too.