Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Indiana Jones Thinpak Boxset

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-07, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indiana Jones Thinpak Boxset

I saw this the other day at an HMV here in Canada. It was the 4-disc Indiana Jones boxset but inset of full size keepcases there were four thinpaks and the box was half the size. I don't know about you, but I feel as though they should have done this back when it was released. The only interesting thing is I can't find any info on the rereleased thinpak set anywhere on the net. Has anybody else seen it?
Old 06-21-07, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have not seen it/heard of it, but you have to remember that thinkpaks were definitely not the norm ~4 years ago. That is something that has really caught steam only in the past couple of years.
Old 06-21-07, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I always think that a set that is only released as a set, and not individually, should be thinpaks; although I do realize it wasn't the norm until recently. Star Wars also should have been thinkpaks. When you've got a ton of DVDs space-saving is key.
Old 06-21-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I always think that a set that is only released as a set, and not individually, should be thinpaks; although I do realize it wasn't the norm until recently. Star Wars also should have been thinkpaks. When you've got a ton of DVDs space-saving is key.
I'm sure most everyone would agree with that statement. The only caveat to that is that if they released previous seasons of a TV show in one format, they should at least give the consumer the option to purchase the new sets in the same style as before. i.e. Stargate SG-1 went to thinkpaks.
Old 06-21-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is probably the best way to get more copies on the shelves before the new movie hits theaters....then a new box set later. retailers are going to want the old films stocked, but only have so much room on the shelves
Old 06-21-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
this is probably the best way to get more copies on the shelves before the new movie hits theaters....then a new box set later. retailers are going to want the old films stocked, but only have so much room on the shelves
AND hopefully hd and/or bd release of them!!
Old 06-21-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I prefer the box as is with the regular DVD cases While i'm in need of shelf space too, I've never been a big fan of the thinpaks and like the look of regular cases. Oh well.
Old 06-21-07, 01:55 PM

I'm personally a bit split on which I prefer. The old keepcase version is good because it makes each film feel important enough in size to warrant its own keepcase. But holding the thinpak version the box just felt so much nicer. It felt more dense. Felt like I was holding something of substance. Although, as a digipak fan I still would have preferred a case akin to the Godfather Collection or The Ultimate Matrix Collection. I love those boxes.
Old 06-21-07, 04:39 PM

i seen it about a month ago, but im not to fussy on the thin snap cases so i just got the normal box set with the dvd size cases.
Old 06-21-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Numes
I'm sure most everyone would agree with that statement. The only caveat to that is that if they released previous seasons of a TV show in one format, they should at least give the consumer the option to purchase the new sets in the same style as before. i.e. Stargate SG-1 went to thinkpaks.
I agree with you there. I hate when studios :Universal: change packaging midway through a series. Then they just don't look right all lined up. Same thing happened to Tales from the Crypt. I know it's nitpicky, but, hey, we all come here for one specific reason right? The love, and look, of our collections.
Old 06-21-07, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Numes
Either that, or provide an easy way to replace the old-style cases with matching new ones. I'd even be willing to pay a small handling fee to get the new thinpak boxes and cases for SG-1.
Old 06-22-07, 09:05 AM

I wish Thinpaks were around from day one. I'm slowly converting all my the keep cases to single and double Thinpaks. Except, for my Criterions which will remain as is. When you're at 1,400+ DVDs you need to streamline, or at least I do.
Old 06-22-07, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Cline
I wish Thinpaks were around from day one. I'm slowly converting all my the keep cases to single and double Thinpaks. Except, for my Criterions which will remain as is. When you're at 1,400+ DVDs you need to streamline, or at least I do.
So now that you are switching over, how are you handling the cover art? Are you making custom covers or cutting down the originals? How do you handle the DVD titles on the spine? What about inserts?

I'm really interested because my current shelf is so overflowing that if I bought another identical shelf it would be about 70% full. My only problem would be limited ability to read spine info; half of my DVD viewing comes from scanning my shelf.
Old 06-22-07, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
So now that you are switching over, how are you handling the cover art? Are you making custom covers or cutting down the originals? How do you handle the DVD titles on the spine? What about inserts?

I'm really interested because my current shelf is so overflowing that if I bought another identical shelf it would be about 70% full. My only problem would be limited ability to read spine info; half of my DVD viewing comes from scanning my shelf.
I'm trimming them. I know the purists out there are cringing, but I have to do this because of space limitations (especially, with the 100+ Big Lots purchase extravaganza recently). Custom covers would be too much trouble as far as I'm concerned. I trim about 1/8" - 3/16" off each side. It depends on the cover. The double Thinpak requires a little less trimming.

Titles on the spines are just centered so it's readable. Some titles are wider than others, but most of them are readable. Inserts are put aside in a seperate box. I really don't even use inserts that much.
Old 06-22-07, 11:39 AM
Cool New Member

WB did change Smallville season 5 to thinpack. I didnt like it. I like the previous seasons pack.
Old 06-22-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I converted my entire collection of 650 to thin cases. Saved a ton of room and now I have like 7 empty cubes in my storage rack and I only had 2 empty cubes before ;-) They take up so much less space it's amazing. I love the thin double cases too....they are 9mm and the single thins are 7mm. Luckily we have a nice color laser printer here at the office.
Old 06-22-07, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I only like Thinpaks for TV show seasons, which have a larger spine due to the outer box. For movies, even if they're only available in a set (which can change even if it hasn't yet for Indiana Jones), I like regular cases so they have presence on the shelf. I like being to able to read the spine from 4-5 feet away.
Old 06-22-07, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At the risk of hijacking the thread, any pointers to quality, inexpensive thinpaks? I wouldn't mind converting some of mine.
Old 06-22-07, 08:44 PM

maybe changing the subject, but is there any news on a single release of Raiders of the Lost Ark (donīt like that much the other 2)?
Old 06-22-07, 10:50 PM
AOD

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Either that, or provide an easy way to replace the old-style cases with matching new ones. I'd even be willing to pay a small handling fee to get the new thinpak boxes and cases for SG-1.
You and me both. Season 9 (and soon to be season 10) look like crap next to 1-8. I would gladly purchase the empty packaging, or at least let me get full size cases for seasons 9 and 10. www.tvshowsondvd.com is working on getting the packaging to be sold to consumers of seasons 1-8 as we speak.
Old 06-23-07, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by AOD
You and me both. Season 9 (and soon to be season 10) look like crap next to 1-8. I would gladly purchase the empty packaging, or at least let me get full size cases for seasons 9 and 10. www.tvshowsondvd.com is working on getting the packaging to be sold to consumers of seasons 1-8 as we speak.
I sold my old versions (season 1-8) on ebay and bought the new thinpacks (season 1-9) during a b1g1 sale. Managed to pick up another season and even made a few bucks in the process!