Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What's with the 21 Episode Seasons this year ?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-07, 01:41 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Is it just me or did more shows have 21 episode seasons rather than the usual 22 episodes ?

What's the deal with this ?
Old 06-17-07, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Save on production costs?
Old 06-17-07, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Because it's a pain in the arse scheduling production when there's a huge episode order? I know a few shows cut down the number of episodes to give their writing and production some breathing room in terms of time.
Old 06-17-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think you're going to be seeing this more and more. A good thing, in my opinion.
Old 06-17-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually would like to see more shows go to 13 episode seasons. You'd get less filler, it would give creative teams more time to come up with great episodes, and you could have true SEASONS on TV, a new season for fall, winter, spring and summer. Some shows could be reruns in those seasons, some new...it would be a good mix I think.
Old 06-17-07, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I actually would like to see more shows go to 13 episode seasons. You'd get less filler, it would give creative teams more time to come up with great episodes, and you could have true SEASONS on TV, a new season for fall, winter, spring and summer. Some shows could be reruns in those seasons, some new...it would be a good mix I think.
I agree with that. It seems like it would be more like UK television. The shows I Watch seem to only have about 12 episodes a season. It allows the cast to maybe do another show or movie at the same time, allows the creative staff more of a break, and it gives the viewer a chance to maybe watch more shows with better quality.
Old 06-17-07, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To be honest, I would love to have seperate fall and spring seasons on network television. Each show gets anywhere from 12 - 20 episodes to air either during September - December or January - May. Then, with the summer, networks can program specific summer broadcasting, reruns, or shows that got ordered but never made it to air.
Old 06-17-07, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Bones was only 21 episodes this season because one of them was pushed back until Fall because it's story was about a college camus shooting and it was supposed to air a few weeks after the Virginia Tech shooting.

Criminal Minds was suppose to have 24 episodes, but the same thing happened as well and that episode was pushed back until Fall.

Honestly pretty much every show I watch is either 22-25 episodes. I really didn't see many shortened seasons.

I know NBC has been going through cutbacks for about a year now and Las Vegas and Crossing Jordan each got 17 episode seasons this year. Although Vegas is getting bumped back up to 22 in the fall.
Old 06-17-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
How would it affect the actors and crew though? Would they appreciate not being tied up for as long (so they could do other things), or would they not like losing the steady work and pay?
Old 06-17-07, 03:58 PM

24 should be the only exception
Old 06-17-07, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like the 22-episode seasons. Personally I think shows that only get 13 episodes are sometimes lacking 'something' the other shows have. Plus, the lesser the episodes the less the writers/producers/actors get paid... Which can be a problem.
Old 06-17-07, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by critterdvd
I like the 22-episode seasons. Personally I think shows that only get 13 episodes are sometimes lacking 'something' the other shows have. Plus, the lesser the episodes the less the writers/producers/actors get paid... Which can be a problem.

What did shows like The Shield, Sopranos, Curb your enthusiasm, Deadwood, The Wire, Entourage, Rescue Me and many other lack because they ran shorter schedules than other shows... the longer running shows in many cases lack my attention by the end of the season... and so many of them would throw in these long hiatuses where you'd go months without new episodes

That has to be one of the most ridiculous statements Ive heard
Old 06-17-07, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
The reason why all those mentioned shows get 12-13 episode seasons is because cable TV gets few ad dollars than network TV resulting in lower production budgets.

All those HBO shows get their money through the subscriber fees.
Old 06-17-07, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lewisb73
What did shows like The Shield, Sopranos, Curb your enthusiasm, Deadwood, The Wire, Entourage, Rescue Me and many other lack because they ran shorter schedules than other shows... the longer running shows in many cases lack my attention by the end of the season... and so many of them would throw in these long hiatuses where you'd go months without new episodes

That has to be one of the most ridiculous statements Ive heard
And not to mention the filler episodes that get thrown in series with longer runs in a season. Not that Sopranos didn't have a few themselves, especially in season four when they suddenly decided to let the show live instead of ending it in season four but filler episodes are almost a given in any 22 episode season.
Old 06-17-07, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
I hadn't noticed, mostly because all the shows I watch have been 23 or 24 episodes (Lost, House, Boston Legal, 24). Lost could technically be counted as 22 episodes, though, I suppose (though the finale was counted as two eps, thus making it 23).
Old 06-18-07, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I watch ALOT of shows in primetime & I really didn't see many shows getting less than 22 episodes with the exeption of Las Vegas (due to budget) & Crossing Jordan (Piss poor ratings) which only had 17 episodes this season.

The only complaint I have & its nothing new but the run times of shows are shorter than they used to be. NBC in my opinion has the shortest run times for TV shows, Scrubs, earl & 30 rock all have only about 20 minutes. Same with dramas, most of NBC's 1hr shows only run 40 minutes without commercials.
I just hope it doesn't get to the point were a 1hr show is only 30 minutes without commercials & 30 min shows are only 15 minutes without commercials.
Old 06-18-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
And not to mention the filler episodes that get thrown in series with longer runs in a season. Not that Sopranos didn't have a few themselves, especially in season four when they suddenly decided to let the show live instead of ending it in season four but filler episodes are almost a given in any 22 episode season.
That just makes me think of all those clip shows I saw as a kid. Like 4 minutes of new show in the episode and everything else was old clips shown as a flashback.