Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : can you get a parking ticket from an expired meter?

Ocelot
06-16-07, 01:27 PM
I got this $35 parking ticket today and the reason was (exactly as show on the ticket):

Over time Pkg-Broken Meter (h) (3)
DAYS/HRS: EXCEPT Su/7:30A-10P

Time of offense: 12:02PM
Time 1st obvsered: 10:57AM

The meter has one hour max (a quarter per 30 mins).

Now, i can understand if i park there the whole day, but the thing is, i parked there less than two hours. Not only that, i went back around 11:30AM to check if the meter is fixed or not (just being paranoid). See, if the meter is not broken, i can easily pop in another two quarters!

I don't mind the $35, but this is ridiculous... how can you enforce the normal parking meter rules on broken meters? HELLO? It's not like i don't want to pay the quarters, it's that, i couldn't b/c the damn thing is broken...

Broken meter means the meter is flashing FAIL on the display panel.

Josh H
06-16-07, 01:33 PM
Yep, most cities/towns have rules against parking at malfunctioning meters (there should be info on this on the meter itself if that's the case).

U6C84
06-16-07, 01:36 PM
Because it's illegal to add more coins to a meter, so it's still the one hour rule.

mbs
06-16-07, 01:42 PM
The meter has one hour max (a quarter per 30 mins).

Then yes, parking for longer than 1 hour max can result in a ticket. It's pretty clear, whether the meter is working or not, you cannot park there for more than 1 hour.

Even if the meter worked and you had re-filled it before it expired, it would be illegal to park there for more than 1 continuous hour.

Ocelot
06-16-07, 02:19 PM
Yes, but with a working meter, i can feed it before it expires... in my case, i did went back to check if the meter was fixed or not, since it was still broken, i can't put more quarters in there :(

Besides, how the hell they prove the car was parked there for more than one hour? It's like the traffic officer is always right (well, it's his/her words against mines)... Anyhow, the way i see it is that it's more disasterous to park next to the broken meter than a functional one!

Should i file NOT GUILTY on this one? The more i think about it, the more i want to fight it, it's STUPID...

Josh H
06-16-07, 02:23 PM
Yes, but with a working meter, i can feed it before it expires... in my case, i did went back to check if the meter was fixed or not, since it was broken, i can't put more quarters in there :(

Doesn't matter, you're only allowed to part there for 1 hour.

Besides, how the hell they prove the car was parked there for more than one hour? It's like the traffic officer is always right (well, it's his/her words against mines)... Anyhow, the way i see it is that it's more disasterous to park next to the broken meter than a functional one!

The traffic officers patrol around. Some times they mark time on the tires of parked cars with chalk, or just keep a note pad, so they can give a ticket if the car has been there for more than the 1 hour time limit when they come back by again

Should i file NOT GUILTY on this one? The more i think about it, the more i want to fight it, it's STUPID...

Nope. Because you were guilty and got caught. And it's a good rule. Time limit meters are meant for short term parking for people to just stop and run and errand. Not just for one person to hoard all day by popping in more quarters every hour.

Besides, the you should have tons of money to pay the ticket given how many times you've bragged in the VG forum about buying the PS3 and Wii for way less than MSRP. ;)

Goldblum
06-16-07, 02:28 PM
It's a pretty common practice to chalk the tires.

In short, you were wrong. Pay your ticket.

Ocelot
06-16-07, 02:34 PM
The lesson i learned here is not to park next to the broken meter... i remember once i got a parking ticket due to a "working" meter with damaged quarter slot (something stuck in there). I explained the situation, basically i got a reduced fine... Oh, they told me not to park next to meters like that (i.e. working, but you can't put quarters in it).

Well, so much for that lesson, now history kinda repeat itself....

anyhow, i'm gonna try to get a reduced fine... do you know how difficult it is to find a parking spot in NYC, metro area? Broken meter spots are holy grails among all parking spots. Apparently, not any more...

matta
06-16-07, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=Goldblum]It's a pretty common practice to chalk the tires.[/QUO

I wonder if it's illegal to erase the chalk and not move your car.

StealthStratos
06-16-07, 02:38 PM
Yes, but with a working meter, i can feed it before it expires... in my case, i did went back to check if the meter was fixed or not, since it was still broken, i can't put more quarters in there :(

That's the whole point... feeding a meter is illegal, so you're still not allowed to park there that long. You're pretty clearly in the wrong on this one.

Ocelot
06-16-07, 02:41 PM
It's a pretty common practice to chalk the tires.

In short, you were wrong. Pay your ticket.

chalk method or not, i don't really cares... but putting that aside, it still makes no sense to me why i was wrong.

come on now, anybody would pay the meter to avoid tickets, common sense! If the max is one hour and you know you gonna take more than one hour for your errands, you make note of the time and you come back feed the meter before it expires...

but if the meter is broken, how the *uck you do that? you can't! it's not like i want to save another quarter or two.

Now, with that fine in mind, i kinda now understand why there always few spots with broken meters! it's a *ucking trap!

Ocelot
06-16-07, 02:44 PM
That's the whole point... feeding a meter is illegal, so you're still not allowed to park there that long. You're pretty clearly in the wrong on this one.

wait, feeding the meter is illegal? that means you get screwed either way? i don't understand how's illegal to put another quarter in the meter when 30 mins were used up....

matta
06-16-07, 03:05 PM
wait, feeding the meter is illegal? that means you get screwed either way? i don't understand how's illegal to put another quarter in the meter when 30 mins were used up....

Was there a sign that said "1-hour limit" either on the meter or on the street? If so, you have to do two things to avoid a ticket: 1) prevent the meter from expiring and 2) move the car within an hour.

Ocelot
06-16-07, 03:08 PM
did a little digging... well, it's for DC, but i'm guessing NYC should be no difference...

Parking at a Broken Meter- Call it in First!

Vehicles are allowed to park at a metered space in DC, even when the meter is not working. There are just a few rules that must be followed in order to avoid paying a fine. Upon parking and discovering that a meter is malfunctioning, the motorist should call the telephone number ((202) 541-6030) printed on the meter decal, and report the faulty meter. After a brief recording, the caller will be connected to the Mayor's Citywide Call Center. A customer service representative will take the meter information and issue a six-digit confirmation number. The motorist may then park in that space for the time posted on the meter. After that time has elapsed; however, the vehicle must be moved.

Basically, i was wrong due to the last sentence... All those years parking in NYC, i didn't even know broken meters could be such pain in the ass! So, the trick is finding out when the traffic officers had your car marked as "1st observation." Because that's the time the experation clock starts ticking... Chalk method is not accurate to the mins, comon now, if you look at my time, i was ticketed for beging extactly five minutes late (what are the *ucking chances that chalk method can give you that kind of accurate reading) :rolleyes:

Ocelot
06-16-07, 03:12 PM
Was there a sign that said "1-hour limit" either on the meter or on the street? If so, you have to do two things to avoid a ticket: 1) prevent the meter from expiring and 2) move the car within an hour.

Matta, it's #2, if it's a broken meter, you gotta move the car within the max time they allowed you parking there. In my case, it's one hour, so it's the driver's responsiblility to move the car after an hour, b/c the meter is broken. If it's not broken, obviously i can continue parking there w/o problems as long as i pop in another quarter or two.

mbs
06-16-07, 03:13 PM
Ocelot, it doesn't matter that the meter was broken. If it says "1 hour limit", you cannot park there more than 1 hour.

And yes, it would be illegal to re-feed a working meeting after 1 hour and park there a total of 2 hours.

mbs
06-16-07, 03:15 PM
]If it's not broken, obviously i can continue parking there w/o problems as long as i pop in another quarter or two.

Incorrect.

Josh H
06-16-07, 03:20 PM
Ocelot, it doesn't matter that the meter was broken. If it says "1 hour limit", you cannot park there more than 1 hour.

And yes, it would be illegal to re-feed a working meeting after 1 hour and park there a total of 2 hours.

Exactly. They have these rules so the parking spots turnover more frequently so more people can use them to run quick errands that take less than an hour.

Not so someone can hoard them and just feed the meter ever 55 minutes.

Ocelot
06-16-07, 03:24 PM
MBS, you gotta shitting me... are you serious???? b/c that's how most people park their cars here. Like having lunch with bunch of friends, almost all the time one of the guys need to go back to the meter and pop more quarters...

Is this for real? This is *ucking insane, b/c like i said before, it's freaking impossible to find a spot! eve the damn hydrant spots are tightly used (4-5 feet is considered good enough for most drivers).

Josh H
06-16-07, 03:27 PM
MBS, you gotta shitting me... are you serious???? b/c that's how most people park their cars here. Like having lunch with bunch of friends, almost all the time one of the guys need to go back to the meter and pop more quarters...

That's the rules. Any meter that says "1 hour meter" (or whatever time limit) you are only allowed to park at for 1 hour. No meter feeding is allowed.

Now some meters have no time limits posted, and then you can feed them. Those meters tend to go up to 8 hours anyway, so its' rare to need to feed them.

Ocelot
06-16-07, 03:32 PM
Well, i'll be damned, all this time, i though the max is the max you can buy with your quarters for one transaction, it never occured to me that you can't come back and restock the meter. Seriously, this should have been in writing. I swear, this is not intuitive.. the signs need to be more descriptive than what it was now.

giving what i have learned here, yeah, guilty as charged, i'll pay the $35... and will pass the wisedom to my friends, i doubt any of them will believe me though.

Ocelot
06-16-07, 03:41 PM
Anyhow, i still think this is stupid b/c if you're paying for your parking spot and your max is up... According to the rules, you need to move the car... so what happens if you circle around the block and come back to the same spot as before? Does that consider okay to the rule? This is ridiculously STUPID!

Hoarding spot? i agree, but you know what? it actually makes driving more comfortable. Why? b/c people won't be pulling out and parking all the times, so you don't need to waste meaningless times on the road (i *ucking hate double parkers).

Josh H
06-16-07, 03:42 PM
The idea is if you're going to be some where for more than an hour, you find a longer term spot, or ideally park in a garage (or better yet use public transit, especially in NYC).

These short term spots are for stuff like running to the bank, dropping stuff at dry cleaners, picking up a carry out order. Not for parking for a few hours to run a bunch of errands or to have long lunch or dinner.

Ocelot
06-16-07, 03:46 PM
Because of the potential stupidity in the max rule, i think that's why most people didn't know that it's illegal to feed the meter after the max allowed time. Also explains why traffic officers never pay attention to the cars that have been parked there for more than the max (it's just way too much work for them, and i know they're not paid enough to that kind of work). they only care if the meter is paid or not...

Still, broken meters are something to watchout for... i learned something new here...

Ocelot
06-16-07, 03:51 PM
The idea is if you're going to be some where for more than an hour, you find a longer term spot, or ideally park in a garage (or better yet use public transit, especially in NYC).

These short term spots are for stuff like running to the bank, dropping stuff at dry cleaners, picking up a carry out order. Not for parking for a few hours to run a bunch of errands or to have long lunch or dinner.

Dude, what you said is true, but still, a parking spot is a parking spot. If i found a short term spot for lunch (dinner usually not a problem, most meters after 7pm are okay), i'll take it b/c chances are i won't find another spot within 20 blocks (yeap, it's that bad).

Josh H
06-16-07, 03:54 PM
Dude, what you said is true, but still, a parking spot is a parking spot. If i found a short term spot for lunch (dinner usually not a problem, most meters after 7pm are okay), i'll take it b/c chances are i won't find another spot within 20 blocks (yeap, it's that bad).

That's fine. Just don't bitch about the occasional tickets. Areas of DC can be just as bad at times. I just take the Metro (subway) and walk. Much less hassle.

Ocelot
06-16-07, 03:57 PM
Oh, i almost never drive to Manhattan, that's suicide, it's VERY bad! Unfortunately, things like medical checkups need the car (too sick for public transportation)...

matta
06-16-07, 04:00 PM
That's fine. Just don't bitch about the occasional tickets. Areas of DC can be just as bad at times. I just take the Metro (subway) and walk. Much less hassle.

The point of short-term spots is not to inconvenience you. They're usually located near in-and-out places like dry cleaners, fast food places, post offices, etc. They're there so that someone who just wants to pick up his dry cleaning doesn't have to park in a deck 10 blocks away and walk.

If you're going to convert those into long term parking, then you can't complain when 1) you're ticketed or 2) you just want to mail something at the post office and have to park 10 blocks away.

Ocelot
06-16-07, 04:01 PM

I bitched b/c i didn't know... hey, i read the signs man, i didn't know you could be ticketed this way! Well, now that i know, i'm bitching about the STUPIDITY of this new max hours you can park thing. The part you can't (correction, not suppose to :)) feed the meter is really something, seriously, i thought you guys/gals were joking at first!

Anyhow, live and learn...

Josh H
06-16-07, 04:02 PM
The point of short-term spots is not to inconvenience you. They're usually located near in-and-out places like dry cleaners, fast food places, post offices, etc. They're there so that someone who just wants to pick up his dry cleaning doesn't have to park in a deck 10 blocks away and walk.

If you're going to convert those into long term parking, then you can't complain when 1) you're ticketed or 2) you just want to mail something at the post office and have to park 10 blocks away.

You missed my point. I like the short term spots, and see their purpose. I just don't think it's usually worth driving in the city regardless of short or long term parking.

The short term spots are a necessity for things like dry cleaning, picking up carry out food, etc. etc. and should never go away. And I hate when people hoard them buy feeding the meter, as it's annoying as piss to not be able to find short term spots when needed, and that just makes it worse.

matta
06-16-07, 04:03 PM
im bitching about the STUPIDITY of this new max hours you can park thing.

It's not stupid. It's actually one of the smarter things that city governments do (instituting revenue management in parking systems). They're ahead of the curve.

matta
06-16-07, 04:05 PM
You missed my point.

No, what happened was I was responding to the OP's comment about turning short-term parking into long-term parking. I quoted your post to echo your "don't bitch about the occasional tickets" comment.

I think we're on the same page :thumbsup:

Ocelot
06-16-07, 04:07 PM
Matta, don't even start with the post office shit... that's another *ucking irrating shit i have to face whenever i go to the local PO. It's so bad that, *sigh*, i avoid it as best as i can. Yeap, that's one reason why i stopped eBaying...

Manhattan POs are much better though...

Thanks all for the reason behind my lesson, seriously man, if they want you to check "GUILTY" at least explain in detail why...

matta
06-16-07, 04:10 PM
..and while I'm on the topic: this reminds me of one of my big pet peeves: people who bitch about airline pricing changing from minute to minute.

I can see why someone's upset that they paid $200 for a flight and the guy next to them paid $80, but think of it this way: if the airline didn't change the flight pricing periodically and that flight stayed at $80, a seat wouldn't have been available by the time you tried to book your flight. So, in reality, you paid $80 for the flight and $120 to keep it available until you booked. If you didn't think it was worth that extra $120, you shouldn't have booked the flight.

Ocelot
06-16-07, 04:15 PM
It's not stupid. It's actually one of the smarter things that city governments do (instituting revenue management in parking systems). They're ahead of the curve.

Heck, you mean throwing in few broken meters too? I'm not saying they are stupid at all... as a matter of fact, they're smarter than sneaky weasels when come to taking your money.

What i was referring to is the true meaning of the MAX HOURs on the parking signs. I bet most drivers don't know this, if they know, they most likely made the same mistake i made (or at least heard similar stories). Come on now, the rule is only ideal if everybody knows it and follow it (curtesy and driving don't really mix if you ask me).

Ocelot
06-16-07, 04:18 PM
..and while I'm on the topic: this reminds me of one of my big pet peeves: people who bitch about airline pricing changing from minute to minute.

I can see why someone's upset that they paid $200 for a flight and the guy next to them paid $80, but think of it this way: if the airline didn't change the flight pricing periodically and that flight stayed at $80, a seat wouldn't have been available by the time you tried to book your flight. So, in reality, you paid $80 for the flight and $120 to keep it available until you booked. If you didn't think it was worth that extra $120, you shouldn't have booked the flight.

Matta, i agree with you on this one... the extra bucks you paid is not flushed down the toilet... of course, you feel like a sucker for a bit, but any reasonable person will come to his/her senses.

matta
06-16-07, 04:31 PM
Matta, i agree with you on this one... the extra bucks you paid is not flushed down the toilet... of course, you feel like a sucker for a bit, but any reasonable person will come to his/her senses.

Yeah, that one wasn't directed at you, it was just a general comment about something.

mbs
06-16-07, 05:15 PM
What i was referring to is the true meaning of the MAX HOURs on the parking signs.

What else could they mean? I don't have such a sign in front of me, but don't they essentially read "Maximum 1 hour"? How could you possibly interpret that to mean anything but that you can only park for 1 hour maximum?

Seems as clear as possible to me.

Green Smurf
06-16-07, 07:46 PM
Ocelot you should know better than for asking advice here. Most people are very law abiding and will always tell you to buck up and pay it. No easy way around things.

dvdsteve2000
06-16-07, 08:11 PM
Chalk method is not accurate to the mins, comon now, if you look at my time, i was ticketed for beging extactly five minutes late (what are the *ucking chances that chalk method can give you that kind of accurate reading) :rolleyes:

Where I live, there are street cops that do just that, walk from one end of town to the other, writing down car makes & time. they get to the other end, come down the other side, and by that time it's been an hour (or so). If your car is still there, boom, ticket.

lordwow
06-16-07, 08:29 PM
Boston has a 1 hour limit on broken meters.

jjcool
06-17-07, 03:37 PM
Wow. I thought everyone knew that it was illegal to feed meters. Guess I was wrong. Anyways, it does indeed suck to have to move your car every few hours when all teh spaces by your work are 2 hour spots. This particular place used chalk, and they would chalk paralel to the ground on the outside of the rear tire. So all you had to do was park at the very end of the spot in the morning, leaving room at the front so you could pull up a little bit every couple of hours to throw the chalk line off. There is no way to tell if you are in the same exact spot or not.

Just Lurking
06-17-07, 03:37 PM
Its illegal to park in short term parking space with time remaining on the meter without adding proper amount of change for the time that you are parked. If a parking enforcement officials catches someone its $25 fine.

They are slowly replacing our existing parking meters with new ones that allow you pay with speed pass type card. Tap your card when you park / leave space. You cannot park longer that max time allowed. Its billed monthly to credit card that is kept on file.

Things that suck about is that you can forget to tap when leaving - you pay for the max time. If you park longer than the max time - you get a ticket for exceeding max time every hour that a parking enforcement official comes around and you are sill parked.

Upside is that you need no change.

matta
06-17-07, 03:49 PM
In Atlanta, they used to have these 5 minute free meters where someone could park, hit a button, and get 5 minutes free from the meter. If you wanted to park longer, you'd have to put in change.

They lasted about 6 months, because people, to be nice, would hit the button whenever they saw an expired meter. It was so bad that people stopped paying meters all together on busy streets because someone would always hit the button for you.

I knew several people who would park on the street for 8+ hours without ever putting a cent into the meter or receiving a ticket.

I knew someone else who figured out that if he put a parking ticket sleeve under his windshield wiper, he wouldn't get ticketed. That worked for a little while, until he had his car towed. He parked at an expired meter, put the sleeve under his windshield, and when the metermaid walked by, she must have thought she ticketed him during her last sweep (who knows how many hours ago), so she towed him. According to him, his car must have been sitting there for less than 30 minutes ($2 in meter usage) before he was towed (which I'm sure ran over $100).

Goldblum
06-17-07, 04:16 PM
Well, i'll be damned, all this time, i though the max is the max you can buy with your quarters for one transaction, it never occured to me that you can't come back and restock the meter. Seriously, this should have been in writing. I swear, this is not intuitive.. the signs need to be more descriptive than what it was now.
No offense, but it is intuitive. Everyone else here but you knew this. If the sign says "1 hour max," how is that not intuitive? If they expected you to keep feeding the meter every hour, why not just make the meters 8 hours to begin with? Because they don't want you to feed the meter every hour. They want you to park for a short errand and move your car a few minutes later so some one else can park.

chanster
06-17-07, 06:17 PM
Enforcement of 1 Hr parking spots is different than 2 hr spots. The 2 hr spots, nobody cares, feed the meter. 1 Hr spots, those things get watched more closely. It also depends on how lazy the meter people are. Most meter people are lazy.

Groucho
06-17-07, 06:55 PM
For the man with a $1600 vacuum cleaner, a $35 parking meter charge sounds just about right.

Josh-da-man
06-18-07, 02:30 AM
Parking meters are the work of Satan.

There are none where I live, so when I travel somewhere it's kind of a culture shock to see that they're still used in certain places. It's easy to forget to use them when you're not used to habitually feeding change into the bastards, and then I have to remember to keep an cup full of change for shit like this. (And toll roads. Grrr....)

al_bundy
06-18-07, 06:14 AM
Oh, i almost never drive to Manhattan, that's suicide, it's VERY bad! Unfortunately, things like medical checkups need the car (too sick for public transportation)...

east side is always bad

west side is OK except for the afternoons when everyone is trying to get into the lincoln tunnel. after the tunnel it's clear sailing

neiname
06-18-07, 08:28 AM
I have never received a ticket in Manhattan for feeding the meter, even for the whole day. This was near my old apartment which wasn't that high of a traffic spot (ie not Mid-town) and a 2-hour meter.

Ocelot
06-18-07, 09:02 AM
Ocelot you should know better than for asking advice here. Most people are very law abiding and will always tell you to buck up and pay it. No easy way around things.

:)

I'm, not trying to get around anything... i just want some expired meter parking education and it seems i learned alot from others.

Ocelot
06-18-07, 09:06 AM
east side is always bad

west side is OK except for the afternoons when everyone is trying to get into the lincoln tunnel. after the tunnel it's clear sailing

That's where my family physician is, east side :(

For dinners and hanging out in Manhattan, i always use the Subway. it's alot easier that way.

Ocelot
06-18-07, 09:10 AM
What else could they mean? I don't have such a sign in front of me, but don't they essentially read "Maximum 1 hour"? How could you possibly interpret that to mean anything but that you can only park for 1 hour maximum?

Seems as clear as possible to me.

mbs (more BS?) dude... i know what the sign says, it's the intrepretation of it... Does it says you can't come back and feed the meter? No. The way i understand it (before this thread), the meter ONLY TAKES up to ONE HOUR and that it! So, basically it's telling people don't put too many quarters, b/c the max you can have is ONE HOUR.

Ocelot
06-18-07, 09:18 AM
No offense, but it is intuitive. Everyone else here but you knew this. If the sign says "1 hour max," how is that not intuitive? If they expected you to keep feeding the meter every hour, why not just make the meters 8 hours to begin with? Because they don't want you to feed the meter every hour. They want you to park for a short errand and move your car a few minutes later so some one else can park.

Yeah yeah yeah... like i said, i didn't know and it's not intuitive that feeding meter is not allowed. See, what you said is only ideal on paper...

Short term parking meters, wtf does that really mean? If it means short term errands, then why the *uck restaurants and medical clinics are around those so called short term parking meters? Honestly, i don't see any dry clearners around the place where i got ticketed and the closest ATM has a drive thru...

Ocelot
06-18-07, 09:27 AM
For the man with a $1600 vacuum cleaner, a $35 parking meter charge sounds just about right.

Nah, that's not right, if a man can afford the $1600 vac, $35 is nothing, not just about right :)

I returned the vac b/c the wife is not very happy with it (it's more of a decision w/o her consent thing than money). Anyhow, that thing is returned (the credit is not posted to the card yet, but i need to give them 10 days before filing a dispute).

The $35 ticket is really nothing, i got mad b/c i didn't know the rules, but now that i know, it's a little fee for a pretty important lesson.

However, does that going to stop me from parking at broken meters? No... i probably move the car within an hour or so though.

Now, the other fact, feeding meters, will i do it? of course... i don't give a damn about meter hoarding. The way i see it, as long as you pay the meter, you're not gonna get a ticket. See, it's so easy to fight such ticket, unless the traffic officer got beef with you, you can just easily say "i circled around the block and came back to the same spot."

Ocelot
06-18-07, 09:32 AM
Another rant, for those meters with max of 15-30 mins, that must of a *ucking joke... because you can't really get anything done within that kind of time w/o feeding the meter. Dry cleaning? Fast food? Quick grocery? Sure, 15 mins under if there are no *ucking lines!

jdodd
06-18-07, 10:16 AM
Dude, it's ok, you can say fuck.

Red Dog
06-18-07, 10:22 AM
Its illegal to park in short term parking space with time remaining on the meter without adding proper amount of change for the time that you are parked. If a parking enforcement officials catches someone its $25 fine.

Unless they are standing right there when you park, how do they know how long you parked there and what the proper amount is?

grrrah
06-18-07, 10:29 AM
JoshH pretty covered everything so far, but..
yes, it is.. or at least you can still get ticketed. At least in my area, according to "a friend".

grrrah
06-18-07, 10:31 AM
Now, the other fact, feeding meters, will i do it? of course... i don't give a damn about meter hoarding. The way i see it, as long as you pay the meter, you're not gonna get a ticket. See, it's so easy to fight such ticket, unless the traffic officer got beef with you, you can just easily say "i circled around the block and came back to the same spot."
I do it to, but if I did get a "feeding the meter" ticket, I would suck it up and pay the fine knowing I technically broke the rule. Some cities note the license plate# and have signs saying you can't park in the same zone for more than the limit for the rest of the day. I see this happening in more places, but this city does does provide longer term parking a few blocks further away.

Ocelot
06-18-07, 10:43 AM
Dude, it's ok, you can say fuck.

oh okay ;)

i got so used to typing *uck or f***

i'm not allowed to use that word in the house and in the car...

Ocelot
06-18-07, 10:45 AM
I do it to, but if I did get a "feeding the meter" ticket, I would suck it up and pay the fine knowing I technically broke the rule. Some cities note the license plate# and have signs saying you can't park in the same zone for more than the limit for the rest of the day. I see this happening in more places, but this city does does provide longer term parking a few blocks further away.

grrrah, actually, same thoughts... if i ever get ticketed that way, and knowing i fed the meter, i will pay the ticket anyway. The way i reason it, it's still cheaper than parking garages...

jdodd
06-18-07, 10:55 AM
oh okay ;)

i got so used to typing *uck or f***

i'm not allowed to use that word in the house and in the car...
But "shit" is OK?

al_bundy
06-18-07, 10:58 AM
nyc everyone always parks at 1 or 2 hour meters for the whole day and no one cares. you only get a ticket for not paying

Ocelot
06-18-07, 01:17 PM
But "shit" is OK?

hahah, no, shit is not okay in the house too... i slipped ;)

Ocelot
06-18-07, 01:19 PM
nyc everyone always parks at 1 or 2 hour meters for the whole day and no one cares. you only get a ticket for not paying

that's the way i see it... true true true...

Ocelot
06-18-07, 01:22 PM
oh, i just paid my ticket at the Brooklyn office... not that i don't like to mail, just that i got a bad experience before with mailing (they never got my payment and i ended up paying the late fee, wtf!). Since the place is not too far, i rather take care of the business in person.

al_bundy
06-18-07, 01:53 PM
you can pay online, but they charge $4 extra

Ocelot
06-18-07, 02:17 PM
ah, didn't know about that... handy info... $4 is way better than the late fee.

drmoze
06-18-07, 03:34 PM

Also, in NYC there is NO METER REQUIREMENTS ON SUNDAY anywhere in the 5 boroughs. That's right, you don't have to feed ANY meter on SUnday. However, the city has been pretty "slow" in removing signs for Sunday meter restrictions.

BTW, to the OP: Trick question. The answer is NO. You can only get a ticket from a traffic cop, meter maid, or other enforcement official. You can't get one from a meter, broken or not. ;)

al_bundy
06-18-07, 03:50 PM
ah, didn't know about that... handy info... $4 is way better than the late fee.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/home/home.shtml

RunBandoRun
06-18-07, 06:25 PM
So now, because Ocelot can't comprehend simple instructions, the city needs to put signs under all the meters that say: "YOU CAN ONLY PARK HERE FOR AN HOUR NO MATTER HOW MUCH MONEY YOU PUT IN. IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW IMPORTANT YOU ARE OR THAT YOU'RE HAVING LUNCH WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND IT'S GOING TO TAKE MORE THAN AN HOUR OR YOU DON'T CARE IF OTHER PEOPLE WILL BE INCONVENIENCED BECAUSE YOU HOGGED A SHORT-TERM SPOT WITH YOUR LONG-TERM PARKING. YOU CAN ONLY PARK HERE FOR AN HOUR OR YOU WILL GET A TICKET AND THE OTTERS WILL TELL YOU TO SUCK IT UP AND PAY IT NO MATTER HOW MANY TOPBUNKISH, NATEVINESESQUE, SLAYER2005-LIKE RATIONALIZATIONS YOU COME UP WITH."

The sign painters will be coming down with writer's cramp in no time. :lol:

al_bundy
06-18-07, 06:28 PM
he's in NYC

everyone does it here, even in full view of the meter maids who don't care

Ocelot
07-12-07, 10:20 PM
Okay, i suppose this thread should be in the graveyard now... but Vibiana's post really pisses me off...

Yes, it's simple instructions now, b/c i finally understood the meaning!

Do you know why i interpreted the "wrong" way in the first place? Because people do it all the times and it never occurred to me that it's wrong... Also, i should have mentioned this earlier... Wasn't there a car commercial where the traffic officer feeds the meter b/c she likes the car? Can't counter that one can you?

Shoveler
07-12-07, 11:02 PM
mbs (more BS?) dude... i know what the sign says, it's the intrepretation of it... Does it says you can't come back and feed the meter? No. The way i understand it (before this thread), the meter ONLY TAKES up to ONE HOUR and that it! So, basically it's telling people don't put too many quarters, b/c the max you can have is ONE HOUR.

Give me a f***ing break! you honestly think they would post a sign to keep people from putting extra quarters into the meters?! At first, I honestly believed that you didn't understand the whole "1 hour max" thing, but you're losing credibility now. It's like people who abuse "n per customer" limits on sales by creating multiple email accounts, and then trying to say "But each account is a different customer!"

Also, i should have mentioned this earlier... Wasn't there a car commercial where the traffic officer feeds the meter b/c she likes the car? Can't counter that one can you?

Dude, it's a f***in' TV commercial! Did you try to return your pet chihuahua a few years ago because you couldn't teach him to say "Yo quiero Taco Bell"?! I can buy your simple "people do it all the times and it never occurred to me that it's wrong...", but please, leave it at that. The more you try to explain, the more it comes off as empty justification. You understand now, that's a good thing. :)

RunBandoRun
07-13-07, 07:38 AM
Okay, i suppose this thread should be in the graveyard now... but Vibiana's post really pisses me off...

Yes, it's simple instructions now, b/c i finally understood the meaning!

Do you know why i interpreted the "wrong" way in the first place? Because people do it all the times and it never occurred to me that it's wrong... Also, i should have mentioned this earlier... Wasn't there a car commercial where the traffic officer feeds the meter b/c she likes the car? Can't counter that one can you?

Feel better now, Captain Rationalization? :lol:

ChiTownAbs, Inc
07-13-07, 07:42 AM
[QUOTE=Goldblum]It's a pretty common practice to chalk the tires.[/QUO

I went to a high school where the school parking lot was like 300 spots (out of a school enrollment of 2500 kids!) so the kids would park on the street. The cops would regularly chalk tires and the kids would get out during lunch (we had an open campus) and wipe the chalk out.

Back then the cops didn't hand out tickets ... not sure if it's the same today.

Ocelot
07-14-07, 10:28 PM
Give me a f***ing break! you honestly think they would post a sign to keep people from putting extra quarters into the meters?! At first, I honestly believed that you didn't understand the whole "1 hour max" thing, but you're losing credibility now. It's like people who abuse "n per customer" limits on sales by creating multiple email accounts, and then trying to say "But each account is a different customer!"

Dude, it's a f***in' TV commercial! Did you try to return your pet chihuahua a few years ago because you couldn't teach him to say "Yo quiero Taco Bell"?! I can buy your simple "people do it all the times and it never occurred to me that it's wrong...", but please, leave it at that. The more you try to explain, the more it comes off as empty justification. You understand now, that's a good thing. :)

Shoveler, you're being super ridiculous with the chihuahua shit... comparing to what's real or not with a talking dog? So, a cop feeding meter is suppose to be fictional and you shouldn't take it seriously? The last time i checked, commercials are suppose to be informative. What i'm saying is, if i see a cop feeding the meter, i don't think it's wrong for me to do the same, understand?

As to multiple account and what nots, it's a little similar to the situation. Yes, it's all come down to morality really. But again, for someone like me, take things for granted in the first place, i didn't know it was wrong and what i'm trying to say through out the thread is, the sign doesn't tell me that feeding meters is wrong.

Ocelot
07-14-07, 10:30 PM
Feel better now, Captain Rationalization? :lol:

cop feeding meters vs a talking dog is rational to you?