Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Kelly Clarkson Cancels Summer Tour - [update] - Unveils Fall Tour Plans

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-07, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figure most of you don't really care about this news bit, but my daughter was looking forward to the show:

http://www.eonline.com/news/article/...e-f0210fe67ca6

Just two days after breaking away from her management, Kelly Clarkson is walking away from her summer tour.

Plans for the original American Idol winner's road trip in support of her upcoming album, My December, have been shelved due in part to disappointing ticket sales.
Old 06-15-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

your daughter, sure.
Old 06-15-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

how do we get refunds?
Old 06-15-07, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
your daughter, sure.
Old 06-15-07, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Lunatikk
how do we get refunds?
Sucks doesn't it man? I'm a big Kelly supporter and fan, and am really looking forward to her new record.

TM's e-mail told me they will process the refund directly to my credit card, of course, minus the non-refundable $10 in fees they charged me, which I have half a mind to challenge.
Old 06-15-07, 02:19 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
She'll tour this fall. It's just that her manager made her book those arena shows which was a big mistake since her cd isn't even out yet and her new single isn't performing that well. Now that he's out of the picture, she's planning a tour in smaller venues. I just heard her new album by the way (produced by David Kahne) and it's pretty damn good! Not as 'mainstream' as Breakaway for sure but she's definitely evolving into her own style.

Last edited by Howiefan; 06-15-07 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-15-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Howiefan
She'll tour this fall. It's just that her manager made her book those arena shows which was big mistake since her cd isn't even out yet. Now that he's out of the picture, she's planning a tour in smaller venues. I just heard her new album by the way (produced by David Kahne) and it's pretty damn good! Not as 'mainstream' as Breakaway for sure but she's definitely evolving into her own style.
I was surprised to see her doing an arena tour. I figure she'll show up at either Listener the Patriot Center.
Old 06-15-07, 02:27 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Here's what Kelly said about the cancellation:

"I can't tell you how much I've been looking forward to getting out there to perform for y'all. In the craziness of the music business, performing is what I look forward to doing the most, so it really is disappointing for me to have to tell you that I won't be coming out to tour this summer. The fact is that touring is just too much too soon.

But I promise you that we're going to get back out there as soon as is humanly possible to give you a show that will be even better.

Thanks for all of your love and continued support."

— Kelly
Old 06-15-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Man I get sick of these celebrities that have to exhibit their mid west credibility by using "y'all" (even in a written statement). What is she going for some Nashville fans or something.
Old 06-15-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
OMG Kelly!
Old 06-15-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by cungar
Man I get sick of these celebrities that have to exhibit their mid west credibility by using "y'all" (even in a written statement). What is she going for some Nashville fans or something.
To be fair, she IS from Texas. We don't really think twice about dropping a "y'all" or 5 in any given sentence.
Old 06-15-07, 03:40 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
When I saw this thread I was going to post something snarky and sarcastic, but since I saw who the OP is all I can say is this is a horrible tragedy. Plus, from what I can tell she's kinda hot.

Old 06-15-07, 03:42 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by cungar
I use "y'all" all the time in my posts here.

Old 06-15-07, 04:00 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
OMG Kelly!
Cool beans.
Old 06-15-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
Cool beans.
Can't wait!!
Old 06-15-07, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm suprised that with qualifies as good music these days, that Kelly Clarkson can't sell out (or come close to selling out) arenas. She's had great cd sales, her pop music gets all kinds of radio play AND she even appeals to a large portion of the Carrie Underwood/country audience. I would think that would be a good recipe for selling lots of tickets.

Is something else to read into this? Does Avril Lavigne tour in arenas?

I mean unless you're rap/hip-hop or country or a huge superstar act like U2, it seems like sluggish ticket sales could happen to just about any act now. Is it the ticket prices??

I enjoy the light pop music of Avril and the like, but I actually think Kelly is a bit more substantial and, while I'm not in her target demo, I'd go see her in concert.

So, it's even more surprising to me she's having such trouble with her ticket sales. I didn't mind the y'all, she does it all the time, but it was a lame statement in general. Everyone knows you're not selling tickets.
Old 06-15-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by wendersfan
Plus, from what I can tell she's kinda hot.

Actually, while she is pretty cute when dolled up (i've seen some non-makeup'd pics that were less than flattering), her greatest asset is a 'lil lower..
Old 06-15-07, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Avril does tour arenas...the reason Kelly isn't selling out these big theatres is 3 fold.

1. Her new single isn't catching on (although it's decent).

2. There is negative buzz surrounding her record (the label didn't want to release it...and rightfully so. I loved 'breakaway' but I've heard the new record and hate it. The writing is extremely juvenile and seems like a HUGE step backward...I thought it was a fake at first it was so bad, but nope - it's the real deal. Clive Davis was right.)

3. She's a total bitch. I saw her 2 years ago and she was rude to a bunch of fans, snubbed a bunch of other ones and just seemed like an unpleasant person. (yeah, in EW she says that tour was hell, but still)

She needs to do something drastic the next time around to grab my attention back, because 'My December' (thanks Linkin Park!) has really put me off.
Old 06-16-07, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Avril does tour arenas...the reason Kelly isn't selling out these big theatres is 3 fold.

2. There is negative buzz surrounding her record (the label didn't want to release it...and rightfully so. I loved 'breakaway' but I've heard the new record and hate it. The writing is extremely juvenile and seems like a HUGE step backward...I thought it was a fake at first it was so bad, but nope - it's the real deal. Clive Davis was right.)

3. She's a total bitch. I saw her 2 years ago and she was rude to a bunch of fans, snubbed a bunch of other ones and just seemed like an unpleasant person. (yeah, in EW she says that tour was hell, but still)

She needs to do something drastic the next time around to grab my attention back, because 'My December' (thanks Linkin Park!) has really put me off.
As I wrote, I listen to this kind of music casually, but those reasons really don't make sense to me for her to not be able to sell arenas.

Doesn't she already have a base of fans who adore her? The kids who love AI and all the pop music stars who also like Avril?

Doesn't Avril have a reputation as being a bitch or bitchy? I haven't heard Kelly's new cd, but the single was just a good as most of what you expect from pop music. Just as good as Avril's single. I did expect Kelly to progress more from the last cd, but I expected the same from Avril and she still made a pretty by the book pop record.

Just the single not catching fire takes Kelly Clarkson from arenas to cancelling an entire tour? Does the average fan really know or have any idea of what Kelly is or isn't like in person? Does that stuff really filter down? She seems so popular from the pop to country and even to rock fans like me who actually really like her voice and enjoy a good pop record, which her last cd certainly was.

I mean, it's only about 14,000 to sell out an arena concert, right? With the amount of sales her last cd had and just her name recognition it still baffles me that she had the same problem the Dixie Chicks had, but without even close to the same circumstances and baggage.

I think more big name artists should ease up on all the huge productions and play more amphitheaters. When I was growing up in the mid to late 80's the biggest bands of the day would come and play at Pine Knob and often if the tour did well swing back and hit Joe Louis Arena in the fall or winter.

Only mega groups at the time, like the Police or Queen, would even do their summer touring in mostly arenas and not play the smaller venues.
Old 06-16-07, 03:25 AM
Suspended

I don't know about Avril playing MEGA-ARENAS, or Arenas at all.

When she played Vegas ... or am I thinking about the announcement, and she hasn't played yet --- it was at the Pearl, which is a tiny venue. Gwen Stefani did the same, and now is returning to play the MGM Grand Arena.

E
Old 06-16-07, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a big departure from "Breakaway" but i do applaud her to stick to her guns, and release the album her way ( the label apparently didn't want to release it and or were willing to pay Clarkson money to take 5 songs off and replace them with more 'radio friendly' material)
I'll wait before i hear a better sounding quality version before making up my mind (the version i have is one channel mono)
Old 06-16-07, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Is dvdtalker "Hot Thang" on suicide watch?
Old 06-16-07, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Her new single sounds like a Shakira song, which isn't a bad thing but it doesn't fit Kelly Clarkson. The song isn't good at all though, She is however the only decent thing about that horrible AI.
Old 06-16-07, 09:57 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
She just came through last summer on a big arena tour, so for me I had no interest in buying tickets for a concert supporting an album that hadn't been released yet.

And what happened to her big HBO concert special? That was supposed to be in February.
Old 06-16-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
As I wrote, I listen to this kind of music casually, but those reasons really don't make sense to me for her to not be able to sell arenas.

Doesn't she already have a base of fans who adore her? The kids who love AI and all the pop music stars who also like Avril?
Well, I know that me and my sisters used to love Kelly Clarkson and would fall into that group and we decided not to go this time, didn't seem worth the STEEP ticket prices ($90 for best seats) when last time she came, we saw her for $35. My sisters friends who were big time fans also skipped for similar reasons, prices too high, her concert was good but not great and her new single just seems kind of stale. Avril certainly can be 'bitchy' but usually not to fans and that is part of her persona...and if she came tomorrow for $90, all three of us would be going.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.