Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm going to Italy, what DVDs should I pick up?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 06-14-07, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I'm going to Italy this weekend, what DVDs should I pick up? I'm looking for Italian movies or better versions of any other international movies.

Right now, all I can think of is picking up the anamorphic, English subtitled- LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL.
Old 06-14-07, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hi all, I'm going to Italy this weekend, what DVDs should I pick up? I'm looking for Italian movies or better versions of any other international movies.

Right now, all I can think of is picking up the anamorphic, English subtitled- LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL.
Old 06-14-07, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I have to go to bed in a few min so will add a list tomorrow but La Terra Trema SE is a must.

What genres are you interested in?

Pro-B
Old 06-14-07, 05:50 AM

While waiting for Pro-B to provide you a more comprehensive list (you should search his previous posts), here's a short list to get you started (all English friendly):

Ricordati di me
La finestra di fronte
La spetattrice
l'ultimo baccio (The Last Kiss)
La bestia nel cuore
Non ti muovere
Quale amore
Quo vadis, baby?
Le consequenze dell' amore
Cuore sacro
La stella che non c'e (The Missing Star)
Casomai

That should get you started. Where in Italy will you be?
Old 06-14-07, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm going to Milan, anyone reccomend any DVD stores there?

Thanks for the starter list..

Any Monica Belluci-friendly DVDs as well? (besides Ricordi)

Last edited by toddly6666; 06-14-07 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-14-07, 08:22 AM

Feltrinelli is a major video/cd/book chain in Italy (similar to a Borders). I know they have several locations in Rome, and also several stores in Milan (check the web site to see which stores have what; not all carry DVDs). There are cheaper stores (Mondiale in Rome, for example), but it's hard to beat Feltrinelli's selection. Good Luck and enjoy Italia!

As for Monica, the English-friendly pickings are slim. L'ultimo capodanno (not one of my favorites) is available, but many of her later films are French/Italian, hence no English subs. Pro-B might know of other English-friendly titles.

Last edited by Ted Kontos; 06-14-07 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-14-07, 10:04 AM

i leave in italy currently been here about a year. Another store that has a good selection of dvds, is mediaworld. They also carry blu-ray and HD-DVDs. Hope you like it here.
Old 06-14-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Good morning!

Ted has given you very good titles to conisder!! You should probably research them a bit and see which ones might appeal to you.

First, on the Bellucci subject you should consider L'ultimo Capodanno, a social satire with plenty of black humor (second half could have been directed by Tarantino, really wacky). There is plenty of what I think you are looking for when it comes to the Italian acctress. Disc is French-English friendly and the print isn't too shabby. The only other title worth picking up while in Italy, since it isn't available anywhere else in the world at this point is Virzi's N io e Napoleone, the disc isn't English-friendly but you will be waiting to see this pic come on a DVD elsewhere in Europe for awhile.

As I know that you don't like the arty stuff too much take a look at Carlo Carlei's made for TV production Enzo Ferrari. It is very well made and follows the history of the Ferrari family with some great looking replicas of the old machines. Sergio Castellitto is in it. As far as I know this film was only copied in the land down under for a local release, never made it to the US.

Le Bambole is a great little gem with some of the best looking actresses from the 50/60s -- Gina Lollobrigida, Elke Sommer, Virna Lisi, Monica Vitti, Jean Sorel, etc. The shorts are very funny!

If hunting for bargains...if you should see a forgotten copy of Riso Amaro, you should definitely take one. In fact I encourage you to look for this disc as I am told that nowadays it can be obtained only through B-M stores.

I also picked up Amatemi not too long ago with Isabella Ferrari, great contemporary story with excellent soundtrack.

The Don Camillo boxset from the Cinema Forever series is amazing but you could get the Studio Canal boxset since you live in Switzerland.

What you may like is Ermano Olmi's Cantando dietro i paraventi with Bud Spencer, I think this film is right up your alley, great costumes as well.

Mario Monicelli's comedy VOGLIAMO I COLONNELLI also comes highly recommended, think you will appreciate what it attempts to highlight esp. given what takes place elsewhere in the wolrd at this very moment.

Don't forget that the Italian disc of Tornatore's (Malena) La Leggenda del pianista sull'oceano is the only uncut English friendly disc on the market. If you want to hunt for bargains, this is it!

I also think you would really like De Sica's Miracolo a Milano, this one is also available in the UK now but why not pick up the original disc (very nice blue cover).

A must-own is Bertolucci's Before the Revolution, the double disc you have to buy while in Italy. So is La Luna.

There is an older film I picked up recently (if you are going to conisder Casomai which Ted suggested to you above) with Stefania Rocca titled Viol@, the story is quite interesting and the disc comes with a great price tag.

All of the Minerva Classics' films I have reviewed for TALK are essential must-buys!

If in a mood for some Berlusconi bashing (now that you live in Europe you should be hearing his name quite a bit) look at Nanni Moretti's Il Caimano. It deals with typically Italian themes but I really, really liked it.

Two other films I own in my library: Marco Tullio Giordana's Quando Sei Nato Non..., (this is the director of the fabulous The Best of Youth) just a fabulous, fabulous film. And Prendimi e Portami Via with Valeria Golino (from Respiro). She is also in the latest Tornatore film which Ted already pointed out to you.

So, I don't know what else to recommend since we both found out that we like/dislike different films. I have a ton of other Italian discs here (a lot of classic cinema) but don't know whether or not you will like them.

Finally, none of these recommendations mean much as once you get to Italy you will likely forget all about them. Italy has an amazing film market, unlike what Italians claim and complain that there isn't enough to choose from, there is, too much in fact!

You should also get an AC Milan jersey and an Eros Ramazzotti CD on the way back!

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 06-14-07 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-14-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for your recommendations again Pro-B. As I did with Ted's recommendations, I will search for reviews and trailers of these flicks. I can usually tell instantly from the trailer if I will like it or not...

Oh and concerning arty movies, I only like the ones that are hyper-arty - with loads of fantastic visuals (Fountain, Holy Mountain, Mathew Barney). I don't appreciate a movie anymore that is slow, poor story, but with fantastic cinescapes. There are so many movies that get praised just because of the amazing cinemascapes, and lacking elsewhere (Brokeback Mountain, The Return (Russia), Kar Wai Wong films, for example). Another example, I have been curious for ages to rent Werckmeister Harmonies, but I have a feeling I won't like it.
Old 06-14-07, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pro-Bass, I checked up reviews and trailers of your list, and these were the most appealing ones: How is the video/audio DVD quality on the following: Cantando dietro i paraventi, VOGLIAMO I COLONNELLI , La Leggenda del pianista sull'oceano, Miracolo a Milano...(I only found DVD reviews of 1900 and Miracle in Milan)

I'm most curious about Cantando Dietro I Paraventi, but I hope it will be better than the sucky Princess Raccoon or Dogville. From the trailer, it reminded me a bit of Gilliam's Baron Manchausan.

Last edited by toddly6666; 06-14-07 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-14-07, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Pro-Bass, How is the video/audio DVD quality...
From very good to excellent! There are no issues to report!

Pro-B
Old 06-15-07, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pro-Bass, are you sure that CANTANDO DIETRO I PARAVENTI is english-subtitled? On all the Italian DVD stores, English subtitles are not listed...
If so, this sucks, because this was the one main one I was curious about..
Old 06-16-07, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Pro-Bass, are you sure that CANTANDO DIETRO I PARAVENTI is english-subtitled?
Why would I lie to you

Yes, my info stands!

Pro-B
Old 06-16-07, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Two other films I own in my library: Marco Tullio Giordana's Quando Sei Nato Non..., (this is the director of the fabulous The Best of Youth) just a fabulous, fabulous film. And Prendimi e Portami Via with Valeria Golino (from Respiro). She is also in the latest Tornatore film which Ted already pointed out to you.
Pro-B
I have actually been meaning to get Quando Sei Nato Non..., but don't know the other one. Is Prendimi e Portami Via English-friendly? I assume it is, but just wanted to be sure. DVD.it is rather expensive with their shipping and everything so wanted to get a few titles at a time. Thanks Pro-B

Last edited by AmonTwin; 06-16-07 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-16-07, 02:33 PM

Not Sure how easy it is to get these titles, and i leave in Vicenza area but if people have some movies they want to know i might be able to get a better deal this ordering online if mediaworld carries these. Thats the only DVD store i know near where i live. Maybe Pro-b can help if he knows this area.
Old 06-16-07, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Hi,

All of the titles that I mentioned in the thread so far are English-friendly, I own them in my library, and I know that people would require English subs. The only one that isn't is the latest Auteuil/Bellucci film i mentioned to the OP but since he asked what is worth picking up when it comes to Bellucci in Italy...I mentioned it. The film is not available anywhere else to the best of my knowledge.

I don't know the Vicenza area well (if its Napoli then I could recommend a few places). Sorry!

AmonTwin: In the review-section of TALK I suggested to Liz the title below. (the thread is about unknown films). Beautiful production, very modern, and very Italian. So, look up the trailer online and see if you would like it. With Isabella Ferarri (Arivederci Amore, Ciao). And Yes, English friendly it is.

edit: here's the title song from the film (video not related):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0CzMzWSCMg

Finally, it should be very easy to locate the titles!

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 06-16-07 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-16-07, 05:16 PM

im not that close to naples, im in northen italy. But i will check out the titles you listed next weekend (everything being closed on sundays here). Ive picked up a few movies but its touch and go as to if they include english subtitles. But i have a year left here so im hoping to get a few more titles to add to the collection. Im glad they have started carrying high def movies on a widespread basis here considering they carry a few movies we have yet to release. Anyways thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 06-16-07, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by atreyurock
Not Sure how easy it is to get these titles, and i leave in Vicenza area but if people have some movies they want to know i might be able to get a better deal this ordering online if mediaworld carries these. Thats the only DVD store i know near where i live. Maybe Pro-b can help if he knows this area.
Thank you very much for the offer, but it seems that most, if not all these DVDs are quite readily available online.

Amon
Old 06-16-07, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Hi,

All of the titles that I mentioned in the thread so far are English-friendly, I own them in my library, and I know that people would require English subs. The only one that isn't is the latest Auteuil/Bellucci film i mentioned to the OP but since he asked what is worth picking up when it comes to Bellucci in Italy...I mentioned it. The film is not available anywhere else to the best of my knowledge.

I don't know the Vicenza area well (if its Napoli then I could recommend a few places). Sorry!

AmonTwin: In the review-section of TALK I suggested to Liz the title below. (the thread is about unknown films). Beautiful production, very modern, and very Italian. So, look up the trailer online and see if you would like it. With Isabella Ferarri (Arivederci Amore, Ciao). And Yes, English friendly it is.

edit: here's the title song from the film (video not related):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0CzMzWSCMg

Finally, it should be very easy to locate the titles!

Ciao,
Pro-B
Thanks yet again Pro-B. I will check out Amatemi. How in the world do you hear about all this stuff all the time?

Amon
Old 06-17-07, 09:03 AM

Pro-B,

I'm assuming from your recommendation that Amatemi is English-friendly? This is another film that does not show English subs in my usual outlets. Just want to make sure.
Old 06-17-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yes Ted it is!

Pro-B
Old 06-18-07, 06:10 AM

Thanks much, Pro-B. It's in my next order!
Old 07-16-07, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

PRO-BASS,
Hey Pro-bass, I just got from my trip to Milan, Italy (delayed due to train strike), and I was able to pick up only one of your recommended dvds - Vogliamo I colonnelli.

Milan is mucho sucko for DVDs, actually it's a mucho sucko city, unless you love clothes. Never in my life did I see such a huge city dedicated to clothing stores. I barely saw any restaurants, movie theaters, or electronic shops (only Fust, one big one in the center, and one blockbuster someplace else). Mucho mucho sucko.

So the big dissapointment is that none of the stores had CANTANDO DIETRO I PARAVENTI, some places said it's out of print, while others said it's out of stock. Can you now recommend me an online store that has the CANTANDO DVD with English subtitles???

The stores also said that 1900 is out of print. I skipped out on Miracle On Milan, because of the better newer version from the UK.

So, besides buying Vogliamo I colonnelli, I just bought Life is Beautiful, Notte PRima Degli Esami, Terrore Nello Spazio, and Lo No.

Italy has massive amounts of local films, a good percentage with English subtitles. I wish I did more research, especially with the old Italian comedies. Italy had their own Charlie Caplin/Tati dude named Toto or something?
Old 07-16-07, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a heads up, Criterion is supposed to be releasing 'Before the Revolution' next year.
Old 07-19-07, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

PRO-BASS,
Hey Pro-bass, I just got from my trip to Milan, Italy (delayed due to train strike), and I was able to pick up only one of your recommended dvds - Vogliamo I colonnelli.
Welcome Back!

Milan is mucho sucko for DVDs, actually it's a mucho sucko city, unless you love clothes. Never in my life did I see such a huge city dedicated to clothing stores. I barely saw any restaurants, movie theaters, or electronic shops (only Fust, one big one in the center, and one blockbuster someplace else). Mucho mucho sucko.
Milan is right behind Paris when it comes to fashion! It is a GREAT city!!

So the big dissapointment is that none of the stores had CANTANDO DIETRO I PARAVENTI, some places said it's out of print, while others said it's out of stock. Can you now recommend me an online store that has the CANTANDO DVD with English subtitles???
They ship to the land of the clocks....
http://www.internetbookshop.it/dvd/8...PARAVENTI.html

Italy had their own Charlie Caplin/Tati dude named Toto or something?
The dude...is an Italian film icon! He is as respected as Mastroianni was/is...unfortunately, 99.99% of his Italian released works are not English-friendly.

Pro-B

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.