Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the theater experience even really that great?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-13-07, 03:27 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girlfriend and I went to see POC 3 this weekend. Its crowded, kids are talking, you get like half an hour of commercials before the movie even starts, the popcorn is usually really salty. After the movie she turns to me on the train and goes "why do we even go to the movies?" which is funny because she works at a newspaper and usually gets free movie passes and skips the movies. Then we went back home and turned on the DVR and watched another movie which just seemed more fun albeit it was some Lindsey Lohan movie where she's unlucky or something. Boring plot. But it made me think that if downloadable movies were avail like i could watch POC when it was in the theaters on my tv i would not ever leave my house on the weekends. We've already planned this whole weekend for a Big Love marathon.
Old 06-13-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
That is why I 1)go to the theater only after 3-4 weeks after a movie has been realeased and 2)watch only in IMAX theaters.

I've gone to the thetare thrice in the past 2 years
Old 06-13-07, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In a good theater, yes, the theater experience can be fantastic.
Old 06-13-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Basically, I only go to the theater when a) I have a free movie pass or b) when I absolutely can't wait another 4 months to catch it on DVD.

The experience of viewing a film on the big screen is often marred by floors that are sticky with soda pop (I hope that's soda pop), people around you that talk too loudly, people in front of you who are too tall and block out part of the screen, or people behind you that end up for one reason or another frequently kicking the back of your chair. So, yeah, the overall experience of going to the theater ain't often that great.
Old 06-13-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
There are some event films that just aren't the same. And I don't mean the crowd experience of excited geeks. I mean, there's no tv big enough for me to enjoy seeing everything. Anything short of an 80" screen for event films make me feel like I'm gonna miss something.
Old 06-13-07, 03:39 PM
Banned

yea I love the theater, only when I go with friends though
Old 06-13-07, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I only goto the theatre for big releases that I have been looking forward too like POTC, Spider-Man etc. To me its just not worth going to the theatre anymore because of the cost and the people. I usually wait just a few months for the DVD and watch it in the comfort of my own home.
Old 06-13-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with CWhippy03, I go for the big movies or movies I really want to see. Movies like Knocked Up, I wait for the DVD.
Old 06-13-07, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
That is why I 1)go to the theater only after 3-4 weeks after a movie has been realeased and 2)watch only in IMAX theaters.

I've gone to the thetare thrice in the past 2 years
The problem with this approach is that multiplexes usually have different sized screens/auditoriums, and the older movies will get pushed out to the smaller ones by then, reducing the experience. Moot for me though, since I've pretty much stopped going due to the proliferation of annoying, self-centered people and cellphones.
Old 06-13-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The quality of the films isn't even that great.. Not sure if they are still 'film' but it seems like there is always a hair or something on the film.
Old 06-13-07, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
The last time I had a good time at the theater was seeing Hot Fuzz with some friends. Usually it feels like something I have to go through just too see a movie now instead of 4 months from now.

I swear, the day they make movies available for HD pay-per-view the same day it's out in theaters is the day I never go to a theater again.
Old 06-13-07, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I still enjoy going to the theatre, and with a quiet (and or adult) crowd, the sound set just right, and fresh popcorn...you can find yourself having a great time, like I did last Friday at Ocean's 13.
Old 06-13-07, 04:08 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
The theater experience is one of the greatest joys known to modern man. For me it's life sustaining.
Old 06-13-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
depends i think.

If you see a really good comedy with a packed theater, it makes it a blast because everyone is laughing and it's a great time. Great energy. The audience was fantastic while seeing 'Knocked Up'.

Also everyone's laughing and having a great time, so it doesn't give people a chance to be jerks or talk.
Old 06-13-07, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by JayDerek
depends i think.

If you see a really good comedy with a packed theater, it makes it a blast because everyone is laughing and it's a great time. Great energy. The audience was fantastic while seeing 'Knocked Up'.

Also everyone's laughing and having a great time, so it doesn't give people a chance to be jerks or talk.

Very good point, which is probably why I had a good time at Hot Fuzz.

Now, while seeing Shrek 3, it was boring, and there were people fidgeting, etc., which probably has something to do with how bad the movie was.

That's why I loved seeing the Star Wars films and Lord Of The Rings films at their midnight openings. People were so into it that if anyone started fucking around they risked the wrath of the mob. Plus the prints were still in great shape.
Old 06-13-07, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It does depend on the theater, but it's still an experience I won't give up. There are theater-going experiences that I STILL remember. Some, such as opening night for Batman Begins in IMAX, caused a fantastic movie to be made that much better because of the audience reaction. Some, such as opening day of Independence Day in 1996, took a retarded movie and made infinitely more enjoyable because the audience and mob mentality made it this crazy high that everyone was apart of. The film critic in me wants to laugh at that movie and throw it away, but there's a part of me that STILL enjoys the shit out of it specifically because of that theater experience.
To the haters, I say you gotta find the right theater with the right crowd.

I live in Philadelphia and 20 minutes down I76 there's a United Artists King of Prussia 16 with an Imax. It's 50 cents more expensive than any other theater in the area, but it's worth the time and the travel, because most of the audiences there are respectful, responsive and totally into the experience - they "get it."

-Doc
Old 06-13-07, 05:36 PM

Does POC stand for Piece of Crap?

I wouldn't care if I never saw a film in a theater again.
For that matter I'm not sure if I'd care if I never saw a film again period...
Old 06-13-07, 06:18 PM

i remember the first time i saw the Xmen 2, the audience was all excited and clapping when nightcrawler first show up. Great experience, might not be as enjoyable for other people. my friends thought those peope who were clapping are annoying but for me theyre not, because i share the same excitement with them.
Old 06-13-07, 06:28 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by wendersfan
The theater experience is one of the greatest joys known to modern man. For me it's life sustaining.
not to seem harsh but thats a little depressing if its one of the greatest joys. Sure seeing POC 3 really ranks up to when I saw Big Ben.
Old 06-13-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah it is. 300 was awesome in theaters. Grindhouse was an incredible experience as well. I think the problem was that you were seeing POTC3.
Old 06-13-07, 06:35 PM

For me its awesome. Tops watching a movie at home. Love everything. I theres a ton of different theaters around me and I usually only go to Celebration Cinema. Its also only a couple minutes from my house. The have all Digital screens, great popcorn with lots of different flavor seasoning I use White Cheddar. the don't really show commercials unless you are really early. they only show Movie trailers (which I love, I am not one that hates trailers) Theres something that watching a movie at the theater that watching at home cant just do. Plus I find when I watching a movie in the theater i forget about everything I need to do, worries etc. I can relax and just focus on the movie. Watching a movie at home usually theres too many distractions, someone calling, etc. I like the experience of watching a movie with a bunch of strangers. Comedy's like Knocked up etc are always more fun watching in the theater then at home. When the whole audience is laughing thats a great experience. Some movies you need to see at the theater such as GrindHouse seeing it on DVD wont be the same no matter what kind of setup you have.

This is coming from a guy who has home theater in his house with 7.1 Surround Sound , 92" screen, popcorn machine, reclining theater seating, HD-DVD etc. While its awesome watching HD-DVDs at home I still prefer going to the theater. I go at least 5-7 times a month.

Originally Posted by driv3
i remember the first time i saw the Xmen 2, the audience was all excited and clapping when nightcrawler first show up. Great experience, might not be as enjoyable for other people. my friends thought those peope who were clapping are annoying but for me theyre not, because i share the same excitement with them.
I agree, stuff like this is awesome and you wont ever have the same experience or feeling at home on DVD.
Old 06-13-07, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One of the greatest joys in my life! I LOVE going to the movies. Looking forward to a packed theater at the multiplex this weekend for Fantastic Four...with a huge pepsi and popcorn. I'm sorry some of you guys have theaters that suck. It must be soul crushing.
Old 06-13-07, 06:57 PM

===================================
I prefer watching movies at home, because...
===================================

(Note: I have an 88" front-projection system, 7.1 Audio, and Recliners; nothing state-of-the-art, but I am happy with it all.)

No need to drive ~18 miles each way to the theater. (ymmv)

I always have a good seat the right distance from the screen, near the middle of the room.

The movie starts at the time I choose.

Not forced to watch commercials before the movie.

Not forced to watch trailers before the movie.

I can pause the movie whenever I want to get a drink, go to the bathroom, or whatever.

I always have my favorite drinks and food on hand, and they are reasonably priced.

My floors aren't sticky.

Nobody ever sits down in front of me, blocking my view with their height, hat, hair, whatever.

Nobody behind me kicking my seat.

Nobody next to me talking (usually).

Nobody near me texting on their brightly-glowing cell phone/blackberry.

No babies crying, no kids wandering the aisles.

If the volume is too loud, I can turn it down. If it is too quiet, I can turn it up.

Too Hot or Cold? I can adjust my room's temperature.

If I missed what someone said, I can replay it.

No ushers checking in to make sure I'm not bootlegging the movie.

No dress code. Pajamas and slippers are encouraged.

Pillows and blankets are readily available, free, and clean.

No rush to leave the theater to beat the traffic getting out of the parking lot.

====================================
Granted, the "real" movie experience can be great, but there are too many variables that are out of my hands.
Old 06-13-07, 07:10 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
When the movie is an "event movie" then I prefer to watch it in a theater for the full experience.

For example, Star Wars.
Old 06-13-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I agree with CWhippy03, I go for the big movies or movies I really want to see. Movies like Knocked Up, I wait for the DVD.
Yeah I've been trying to do this to save money. But then again, some non-epic/non-sfx films are still great on the big screen.

I'm a person who likes Late Shows, the later the better, so most of the time there's just a few people seeing a film with me. But I still enjoy a full theater especially when the crowd is into the movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.