Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Lovely Bones - Rumors, News, Casting, etc...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-12-07, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

Another film I thought had its own thread, but apparantly it was buried in PJ threads...

Weisz to star in 'Lovely Bones'
Actress set for Peter Jackson adaptation
By MICHAEL FLEMING, PAMELA MCCLINTOCK

Rachel Weisz is set to star in "The Lovely Bones," the Peter Jackson-directed adaptation of the Alice Sebold novel. DreamWorks begins production on the film in October, and Paramount Pictures will distribute worldwide.
Weisz will play the mother of a young girl who is abducted and is feared to have been murdered.

Jackson wrote the script with his "Lord of the Rings" scripting partners Philippa Boyens and Fran Walsh. DreamWorks bested several studios to acquire the fully-developed project, which will be made in association with Film 4.

Carolynne Cunningham, Jackson, Walsh and Aimee Peyronnet will produce, while Film 4's Tessa Ross will exec produce with Ken Kamins and Jim Wilson. The film will shoot in Pennsylvania and New Zealand.

Weisz, who won an Oscar for "The Constant Gardener," was available after declining to reprise in a third installment of "The Mummy" for Universal. She's repped by Endeavor, ICM London and The Firm.

Last edited by devilshalo; 06-12-07 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-12-07, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
nice. I just finished this book recently and am interested to see how they adapt this for film.
Old 06-13-07, 12:46 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when i read the book i always saw Cate Blanchett as the mother
Old 06-13-07, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hope it isn't 3+ hours...
Old 06-28-07, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ryan Gosling set for 'Lovely Bones'
Actor joins Weisz in Jackson adaptation
By PAMELA MCCLINTOCK, PAMELA MCCLINTOCK, MICHAEL FLEMING
Gosling

Ryan Gosling is set to star opposite Rachel Weisz in Peter Jackson's feature adaptation of Alice Sebold's bestselling novel "The Lovely Bones" for DreamWorks.
Jackson will begin lensing in October in Pennsylvania and New Zealand. Film will be distributed worldwide by Paramount.

Story revolves around a young girl who has been murdered and watches over her family -- and her killer -- from heaven. Girl must weigh her desire for vengeance against her desire for her family to heal.

Gosling will play the girl's father, Weisz the mother.

Gosling, who garnered an Oscar nom for his performance in indie pic "Half Nelson," will next be in theaters with "Lars and the Real Girl," which bows this fall. His other credits include "Fracture," "Stay" and "The Believer."

Producers of "Lovely Bones" are Jackson, Carolynne Cunningham, Philippa Boyens and Fran Walsh. Film 4's Tessa Ross, Ken Kamins and Jim Wilson are exec producing. DreamWorks secured the film rights to Sebold's book in association with Film 4.

Jackson, who developed the project before shopping to studios, penned the adapted screenplay with Boyens and Walsh. Trio are frequent collaborators, having co-written and produced the three "Lord of the Rings" films and "King Kong" together.
Old 06-28-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Trio are frequent collaborators, having co-written and produced the three "Lord of the Rings" films and "King Kong" together.
Maybe if they break up they'll finally have a hit. < / joking >
Old 06-28-07, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The key here will be who they cast as Susie, the main girl.
Old 06-28-07, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Great book. But it won't work as a three hour film so I hope Pete tones down the epic factor for this one.
Old 06-29-07, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
Gosling will play the girl's father, Weisz the mother.
That's interesting. Usually when there's nearly a ten-year difference in age, it's the man who's older.
Old 06-29-07, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's interesting is Gosling's a 26-year old playing the father of a 14 year old girl.
Old 06-29-07, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 981 Likes on 608 Posts
Yeah, my first thought on reading that is "Gosling's way too young." That concerns me, because even though he's a good actor, he doesn't fit the role.

I'll be interested to see how they handle the adaptation from novel to screen. A big part of the novel is it's point of view--Susie observing things from heaven and giving us her perspective. And how are they going to handle the scenes that take place in heaven? Could be corny if not handled well.
Old 06-30-07, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
when i read the book i always saw Cate Blanchett as the mother
I always saw Bruce Willis as the father.
Old 06-30-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rizor
What's interesting is Gosling's a 26-year old playing the father of a 14 year old girl.
You gotta lock that down.
Old 07-12-07, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

DW setting 'Bones' role for Ronan
By Borys Kit

July 12, 2007

Saoirse Ronan has joined Rachel Weisz and Ryan Gosling in Peter Jackson's adaptation of "The Lovely Bones" for DreamWorks.

Ronan will play Susie Salmon, the central character in Alice Sebold's book. In the 2002 best-seller, the story is told through the voice of Sussie, a young girl who is murdered but continues to observe her family on Earth after her death.

She witnesses the impact of her death on her loved ones, while her killer skillfully covers his tracks and prepares to murder again.

Weisz and Gosling are playing the grieving parents in "Bones," whose script was written by Jackson, Philippa Boyens and Fran Walsh.

Carolynne Cunningham, Jackson, Walsh and Aimee Peyronnet are producing "Bones," which begins filming in October in Pennsylvania and New Zealand. Executive producing will be Film 4's Tessa Ross alongside Ken Kamins and Jim Wilson.

Paramount Pictures is distributing.

Ronan -- whose first name is pronounced Seersha -- is a relative newcomer to Hollywood, with credits that include roles in the Irish television series "Proof" and "The Clinic," though she is quickly moving to establish herself.

She will be seen later this year in "Death Defying Acts," alongside Catherine Zeta-Jones and Guy Pearce; "I Could Never Be Your Woman," starring Michelle Pfeiffer and Paul Rudd; and "Atonement," with Keira Knightley and James McAvoy. This summer she begins filming Walden's "The City of Ember," being directed by Gil Kenan.

She is repped by CAA and Lisa-Anne Campbell in Ireland.
Old 07-12-07, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i've been reading about this project for years now and i was so interested until i read that Gosling is attached to the project, i fuckin' HATE this guy...too bad cos he always star in great movies.
Old 07-12-07, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if "he star in great movies." why do you hate him?
Old 07-12-07, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i dunno i just do...umm i do have the right to hate or love anyone i want,right?
Old 08-02-07, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Imperioli connected to DW's 'Bones'
By Borys Kit
Aug 2, 2007

Emmy winner and current nominee Michael Imperioli has joined the all-star cast of Peter Jackson's adaptation of "The Lovely Bones" for DreamWorks.

The offed "Sopranos" actor joins Rachel Weisz, Ryan Gosling, Susan Sarandon, Stanley Tucci and newcomer Saoirse Ronan in the big-screen version of Alice Sebold's best-seller. The story centers on a young girl who is murdered but continues to observe her family on Earth after her death. She witnesses the impact of her demise on her loved ones, while her killer skillfully covers his tracks and prepares to murder again.

Imperioli will play Len Fenerman, the detective in charge of investigating the girl's death.

Jackson is directing the movie, whose script was written by Jackson, Philippa Boyens and Fran Walsh.

Carolynne Cunningham, Jackson, Walsh and Aimee Peyronnet are producing "Bones," which begins filming in October in Pennsylvania and New Zealand. Executive producing will be Film 4's Tessa Ross alongside Ken Kamins and Jim Wilson.

Paramount Pictures is distributing.

Imperioli recently received his fifth Emmy nomination for his role on HBO's "The Sopranos" and won the statuette for supporting actor in a drama series in 2004. His credits include "GoodFellas," "Bad Boys," "Summer of Sam" and the upcoming "The Inner Life of Martin Frost." He is in production on the ABC telefilm "For One More Day," written by Mitch Albom and produced by Oprah Winfrey.

Imperioli is repped by UTA, TMT Entertainment and Roger Haber.
Old 10-22-07, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wahlberg steps into 'Bones'
Actor to replace Gosling in lead role
By MICHAEL FLEMING, TATIANA SIEGEL

One day before shooting began, Mark Wahlberg stepped in to replace Ryan Gosling in "The Lovely Bones," the Peter Jackson-directed adaptation of the Alice Sebold novel for DreamWorks.

Wahlberg has taken the role of Jack Salmon, the grieving father of a young girl. That role was vacated Friday by "Lars and the Real Girl" star Ryan Gosling, who stepped out after gaining 20 pounds and growing a beard for the job. Sources attributed the exit to creative differences.

After reading the script, Wahlberg quickly committed Sunday. He joins Rachel Weisz as a couple whose world is shattered after their daughter is murdered. The girl watches over her family and her killer from heaven. Jackson wrote the script with Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens.

The film begins shooting today in Pennsylvania, where Wahlberg most recently wrapped the lead in the M. Night Shyamalan-directed "The Happening" for Fox. It is Wahlberg's first time working with Jackson, though the filmmaker did an on-screen stint last season on "Entourage," the HBO comedy series Wahlberg exec produces.

Wahlberg also recently committed to star with Brad Pitt in the Darren Aronofsky-directed "The Fighter" at Paramount. That picture is expected to begin production next fall.

Wahlberg's repped by Leverage and Endeavor.
Old 10-22-07, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

awsome.
Old 10-22-07, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well that sucks. Gosling is a far superior actor. Oh well.
Old 10-23-07, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

PJ replacing Stuart Townsend with Viggo as Aragorn at the beginning of the LOTR shoot turned out pretty well, so I trust his judgment on this kind of thing.
Old 10-24-07, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The plot summary of the novel sounds moving and affecting, but that's just the problem for me... My wife loved this book but the subject matter just seems incredibly depressing to me. I'm definitely getting soft in my old age, but I see basically no reason to see a movie about child murder. Maybe, as I've got two young daughters, it just cuts too close to home for me.
Old 10-24-07, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hiro^ yeah the subject matter is fairly depressing, but the book handles it well - showing the dead daughter watching her family family grieve and finally move on. I'm sure PJ will handle it well.
Old 10-24-07, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow...

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10232007..._minute_ax.htm

October 23, 2007 -- THOSE old "creative differences" are to blame for director Peter Jackson's firing of Ryan Gosling from "Lovely Bones." "Peter couldn't stand Ryan," said one source. Though Variety reported that Gosling had "stepped down" and was replaced by Mark Wahlberg, our source said, "Ryan cut his own hair, and was fighting with wardrobe. He was so demanding . . . Peter booted him two days before filming started." The flick is based on the best-selling novel by Alice Sebold. A rep for Gosling did not return calls.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.