DVD Talk
Six Feet Under: The Complete Series for $114.99, Amazon deal of the day (6/8/07) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Six Feet Under: The Complete Series for $114.99, Amazon deal of the day (6/8/07)

MovieExchange
06-08-07, 08:09 AM
I know it's been mentioned in the other Six Feet Under thread from a few days ago discussing individual season set sale prices, but just in case people don't read that thread....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/

As always, Gold Box sales end around 2 or 3 in the morning eastern time.

rfduncan
06-08-07, 08:24 AM
Wow. Just wow. Must... resist... ordering...

I loved the show but I'm pretty certain I'd only watch it all the way through one more time. Once Lisa shows up I just got frustrated.

JoserJerr
06-08-07, 09:23 AM
In for one. I watched the first couple of seasons years back and never managed to finish. The price is definitely right though.

animatedude
06-08-07, 10:24 AM
oh nooooooooooo! this is the baragian of the century! but iam broke.this sucks.

i think this beats the bestbuy price back in december right?

gimmepilotwings
06-08-07, 10:30 AM
I really want this show. Too bad I cant afford this show after the D2/HDDVD purchases this week.

mayorofsmpleton
06-08-07, 10:31 AM
animatedude,
Order Six Feet Under along with another upcoming release (something that comes out like 2-3 months or so from now). Put both in your cart and make sure to click "fewest shipments as possible" then place the order.

You'll freeze the SFU box at 114.xx and it will sit and wait until the other product becomes available before shipping (and charging your credit card)

When you have the funds cancel the other product from your order and Amazon will ship the SFU box at the price you paid today. :)

I did that several years ago to get a good deal on 24: season 3 when I had to wait 2 weeks for a check to arrive from work and didn't want to miss the awesome deal.

gimmepilotwings
06-08-07, 10:33 AM
interesting, I'm going to give that a try

J-Flow
06-08-07, 10:33 AM
Thanks, I've seen the first season, now the rest I guess!

gimmepilotwings
06-08-07, 10:35 AM
what is something that won't be available for a few months?

muggsy
06-08-07, 10:46 AM
Wow, that is a great price. I have the first three season sets, but I guess I'll sell those used. Between the DDD 20% off sale, the A&E Monty Python box, and now this, DVD Talk has done some serious damage to my credit card the past two weeks.

FangsFirst
06-08-07, 11:01 AM
oh nooooooooooo! this is the baragian of the century! but iam broke.this sucks.

i think this beats the bestbuy price back in december right?
Only by tax.

animatedude
06-08-07, 11:29 AM
animatedude,
Order Six Feet Under along with another upcoming release (something that comes out like 2-3 months or so from now). Put both in your cart and make sure to click "fewest shipments as possible" then place the order.

You'll freeze the SFU box at 114.xx and it will sit and wait until the other product becomes available before shipping (and charging your credit card)

When you have the funds cancel the other product from your order and Amazon will ship the SFU box at the price you paid today. :)

I did that several years ago to get a good deal on 24: season 3 when I had to wait 2 weeks for a check to arrive from work and didn't want to miss the awesome deal.

thanks for the tip but i don't think this works out all the time.after you place your order it tells that "we may ship your order seperatly blah blah"

anyone tried this trick in the last few months? and what do you think i should order with it?

SaveFarris
06-08-07, 11:29 AM
what is something that won't be available for a few months?

I'd suggest <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Complete-Season-Matthew-Fox/dp/B000P6YNSE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/002-9900825-5035234">LOST Season III</a>. That gives you until December 11th.

gimmepilotwings
06-08-07, 11:30 AM
I'd suggest <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Complete-Season-Matthew-Fox/dp/B000P6YNSE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/002-9900825-5035234">LOST Season III</a>. That gives you until December 11th.

That was the item that I was thinking about.

Scott27
06-08-07, 11:50 AM
Thanks for posting this. Good thing I didn't pull the trigger on the DD 20% sale, which would have been ~$159 after the coupon.

DoubleDownAgain
06-08-07, 11:54 AM
Ugh. I want to order this.... but have already spent too much this year.

gimmepilotwings
06-08-07, 12:00 PM
I just tried it. I put it on a credit card that has less than $100 left on it. So I guess we will see if they try to bill my CC.

IamLegend
06-08-07, 12:30 PM
I ordered it as blind buy...hope it is worth it :)

metalfan
06-08-07, 12:34 PM
Big thanks to the OP! My girlfriend has been wanting this set for a long time and after missing the Best Buy deal, and with this price she said she couldn't afford not to get it.

DoubleDownAgain
06-08-07, 12:41 PM
I ordered it as blind buy...hope it is worth it :)

It's a great show and a better blind buy!

miz.eerie
06-08-07, 01:13 PM
damn, i spent all my money at dd & amazon. well easy come easy go.

dman988
06-08-07, 01:21 PM
thanks for the tip but i don't think this works out all the time.after you place your order it tells that "we may ship your order seperatly blah blah"

anyone tried this trick in the last few months? and what do you think i should order with it?
It ALWAYS works for me.

I do this trick at least once a week.

Hell, the Will & Grace set that was on Gold Box a while back is still waiting to be shipped in July.

I would definitely say try it. I'm glad I already have my SFU from last year's BB sale.

xfusejc
06-08-07, 01:27 PM
This is so tempting as a blind buy.

nonametofame
06-08-07, 02:08 PM

Here's an easier method. Just order the set and choose money order or check as your payment option. This will lock the item into the sale price as they await your payment. When you have the funds, just go into your account page and change the payment method to credit card. As soon as you do this, they will charge your credit card and process the item immediately. I do this all the time and there's no worry of them charging your credit card beforehand.

starman9000
06-08-07, 02:08 PM
It ALWAYS works for me.

I do this trick at least once a week.

Hell, the Will & Grace set that was on Gold Box a while back is still waiting to be shipped in July.

I would definitely say try it. I'm glad I already have my SFU from last year's BB sale.

I wouldn't risk it if it's a bad money issue, the last time I ordered this way they sent them/charged them separately.

HyperWeather
06-08-07, 02:55 PM
I'm in for one.. lmao this forum has cost me soooooooooo much money (well I guess saved to, except I buy things I wasn't planning on buying). Though this was something I've been wanting for awhile and am always trying to search for the lowest price just could never get myself to spend the $200.

miz.eerie
06-08-07, 02:59 PM
Isnt there like different shipping options to lock it. i thought i saw something like ship in seperate packages (cost more money) so that trick might work

animatedude
06-08-07, 03:20 PM
to dman988, thanks for the confirmation! i pre-ordered this and looks like iam going to try this more often in the future lol

to nonametofame, GENIUS! why didn't i think of that? i think it's safer method.i'll try this in the future.

gimmepilotwings
06-08-07, 03:28 PM
Isnt there like different shipping options to lock it. i thought i saw something like ship in seperate packages (cost more money) so that trick might work

Yep, you have to choose standard shipping at least. ($3.97)

miz.eerie
06-08-07, 03:36 PM
Well i ordered Six Feet Under & Todd McFarlane's Spawn: Animated Collection (4pc) wich release date is July 24. To double check i looked at my shipping options & it says

"Not Yet Shipped:2 items - delivery estimate: July 26, 2007 - July 27, 2007"

So it must work

Lecithin
06-08-07, 04:00 PM
I got the box set of SFU last sale for around $144 and it was a very moving series, so this price is an even better deal than the one I got (I don't know about repeat viewing though).

mayorofsmpleton
06-08-07, 06:28 PM
I guess it depends on your taste. I've rewatched the series probably 3-5 times since I first saw it on HBO's marathon of the first 4 episodes in summer 2001. The layers of characterization are just amazing... everything down to the tiniest detail (clothing, dialogue, action) is taken into account when making an episode.

In fact, when a writer penned an episode they also had to turn in a fact sheet in addition to the script backing everything they wrote...

Example: (not an actual scene) If there was a scene where Ruth's sister is over for dinner and Ruth's daughter Claire misses the dinner the fact sheet might read...

**Back in the first season it was explained by Ruth to her friend Jean that growing up her sister used to make such a big deal about family dinners. Seeing as how Ruth has grown to be a very controlling woman it seems to me that her daughter Claire missing such an event would not only upset her, but would make her look like a bad mother when her sister is in town.**

So they keep very good track of the history they establish for the characters and the history they create has a very strong hand in how the characters react to things. I've never seen a scene where I thought "So-and-So would never do that..." like I do with many shows... because everything is written so the character can reach a certain place, not as a plot device to move the story forward.

HBO used to include several pages of scripts from the various seasons... it was really interesting to see how insightful they were with this series...

Then there are people who think it's too dark, or that the earlier years are better, etc. So it's hard to say. It's unlike a lot of shows on the air, so it's also hard to compare it to much else. I guess the best comparison would be a television version of the movie American Beauty (written by SFU creator Alan Ball) in terms of drama/comedy.

dman988
06-08-07, 06:35 PM
I should mention, I guess, that the one time it hasn't worked for me is when the Charlie Chaplin box was on sale.

I ordered it with some flunky title (like a 10$ American home Video thing) in hopes of cancelling the second item, but it was postponed, which happens quite often with subpar titles, and they'll send you the item that you had with it as soon as that item gets postponed. Be careful with that, but if it's a title that's a sure thing, you should be perfectly safe (especially with SUPER SAVER shipping).

OldBoy
06-08-07, 07:10 PM
when you guys get it, post what condition it came in. this is such a massive set and Amazon is a little skittish on shipping...

animatedude
06-08-07, 08:15 PM
if i chose to pay by check or money order, is there a deadline? or i can pay whenever i get the funds?

ChefWinduAZ
06-09-07, 12:25 AM
Sold Out!

Apone
06-09-07, 01:24 AM
Sold Out!

It took a bit longer than the 007 complete collection.

Nth Power
06-13-07, 02:29 PM
when you guys get it, post what condition it came in. this is such a massive set and Amazon is a little skittish on shipping...Mine came today via UPS 2 Day. The set was damage free, but there was the typical skimpy airbag packing with a lot of room left over. No floaters thankfully.

That said, the set really is sweet and the supplemental book/soundtrack is a nice touch. :thumbsup:

DamDavila
06-13-07, 02:53 PM
Mine arrived without the gravestone piece on the top of the box. Urgh.

xfusejc
06-13-07, 03:53 PM
Mine came in perfect shape on Monday.

miz.eerie
06-13-07, 04:58 PM
My booklet was detached from its cover but thats no big deal. i rarely look at those anyways

Scott27
06-13-07, 11:18 PM
Am I the only one who is still waiting for it to ship? I did the free shipping, but it normally doesn't take them this long to ship, even with the free option.

xfusejc
06-13-07, 11:34 PM
I'm with Prime, and it still told me it would need 1 or 2 days before it shipped. Maybe Free Shipping takes a bit longer.

speedyray
06-14-07, 06:31 AM
I'm with prime, so I got mine the next day (I live near the warehouse). It looks perfect, have not opened the shrinkwrap. May dive into it this weekend.

muggsy
06-14-07, 08:56 AM
Mine got here yesterday with no damage. One staple of the booklet was detached from the cover, but who cares? It's a very nice set.

Muddy Shores
06-14-07, 09:08 AM
Got mine yesterday (with standard shipping). Came in an oversized box w/airbag, but appears damage-free.

Scott27
06-14-07, 09:58 AM
Finally got a shipping e-mail this morning.

DamDavila
06-14-07, 06:32 PM
Anyone know the HBO Home Video Customer Service email?

HyperWeather
06-14-07, 07:48 PM
I did the free shipping and got a shipping notice yesterday, so hopefully soon.

ChipHP
06-15-07, 05:54 PM
I did free shipping ... mine arrived yesterday (Thur.) ...

IamLegend
06-15-07, 07:51 PM
got mine-looks good..thanks OP