Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite I Love Lucy episode?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-07, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the one with the giant fish that keeps getting moved between the two aparts. And the chocolate factory.
Old 06-07-07, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The chocolate factory and vitameatavegamin.
Old 06-08-07, 06:33 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like the one when Lucy loses her passport and can't pass the border. Also the grapes smashing episode, and the one with Superman.
Old 06-08-07, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They are all great but I love the one where they are cooking bread and when it comes out of the oven it goes across the whole kitchen. They want to cut it but don't want to break the egg they used to cook it.

Another great one is when they hire a speach teacher so that when Little Ricky is born they will all know how to speak proper English. The teacher tells them their are 2 words they should never use "Swell" and "Lousy". Fred tells him to tell them the lousy one first. Then they have to sing this song about flowers in a garden-Fred's line is "Bibbety Bobbety Boo".
Old 06-08-07, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gee, so many.

I especially love the season in Hollywood. Best one is when Lucy, Fred, & Ethel are in the Brown Derby and spot William Holden. When Lucy spins around and comes nose to nose with him is the single funniest moment in sitcom history, IMO.
Old 06-08-07, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The one where Lucy tries to weasel her way into Ricky's nightclub act....oh wait

Seriously though the chocolate factory is always the first one that comes to mind among many great ones.
Old 06-08-07, 10:52 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Vitameatavegamin.

I still remember being home sick from grade school and catching that episode. I had probably seen it before but I was finally old enough to really understand the whole drunken gag. I laughed harder than anything I'd ever laughed at before. It's been over 30 years since then, but I still remember that moment clearly. Lucy's performance in that bit was flawless and I still laugh every time I watch it on TV or DVD.
Old 06-08-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Love this show.

My favorites:

1) Lucy getting stuck in the freezer

2) Lucy and Ethel pretend to be Aliens

3) Lucy steals John Wayne's cement square from Grauman's.
Old 06-08-07, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So many great episodes, but if I had to pick just one favorite, as hard as that would be to do, it would probably be the chocolate factory episode. I also love all the Hollywood episodes, especially the one with William Holden.

But if we're including episodes of the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour in this, then my all-time favorite would have to be the one with Tallulah Bankhead.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 06-08-07 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-08-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Vitameatavegamin

An obvious choice, to be sure, but it's made me cry with laughter too many times to select anything else.

das
Old 06-08-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, apart from the chocolate factory and Vitametavegamin, I'm also partial to "Lucy Gets A Paris Gown":

When Ricky (Desi Arnaz) refuses to buy Lucy (Lucille Ball) an original French designer gown, she goes on a hunger strike. Terrified that his spouse will starve to death, Ricky finally relents -- only to discover that, throughout Lucy's "strike," Ethel (Vivian Vance) has been smuggling food to her. By means of revenge, Ricky commissions a hideous-looking "outfit" comprised of two burlap sacks and a horse's feedbag, and presents this masterpiece to Lucy -- while Fred (William Frawley) does the same to Ethel. The girls unwittingly parade through the streets of Paris in their ersatz gowns -- and instead of making public spectacles of themselves, they emerge as fashion trendsetters. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide
Old 06-08-07, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't watched many episodes but I caught part of The Kleptomaniac the other day it had a great scene where Lucy and Ethel burst into the apartment brandishing guns pretending to be on the run after robbing a bank:

Ethel: Did you get any of them?
Lucy: I got two - a flat foot and a private eye. I got the eye in the foot and the foot in the eye.
Old 06-08-07, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any and all "I Love Lucy's" I have seen were viewed before I reached the age of 10. Hot summer days and school sick days inside the house before I discovered other TV is when I watched ILL.

I didn't really enjoy them much. At the age of 9 to 10 my comedy muscle has already been worked out by the likes of "Threes Company" and "All in the Family." The slapstick goofiness of ILL was a little below me....at the age of 10.

I will be the first to admit that this attitude may be and probably is wrong of me. In light of this thread, I will endeavor to see an ILL or two so I can get a taste of Lucy now that I am an adult.

Having said that, by favorite episode was with Superman. Because, hey. It was Superman.
Old 06-08-07, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This thread is on the verge of inspiring me to create a thread asking about Andy Griffith next week. That's honestly more my speed than ILL.

Of the ones I have seen, I think I like the one with the grapes the best. I think that was called Lucy's Italian Movie from a quick web search.
Old 06-08-07, 07:04 PM

Ok, this isn't in reply to the question, but does anybody know if another comedy series has ever been set in as many difference locations throughout it's run? New York, Cali, Europe, Connecticut...am I missing any? I realize it wasn't physically in those places, but I can't remember another series that moved it's main set with such success.

Well here's a fave that just came to mind. In Connecticut Lucy goes on a rampage with a riding lawn mower and mows down the neighbor's tulips plus goes through town on freeways and all. The genius is that most of it was simply her explaining all the places she went and it was hilarius just picturing her doing that.
Old 06-08-07, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While not my favorite one, I'd have to think about that for a while, the first one that I thought of when I read this topic is the one where Ricky ended up losing his job because he was demanding a raise, so they let him go to work elsewhere. Because of that, Lucy, Fred, and Ethel all called the club over and over again using different voices, making reservations. They ended up getting all of the seats in the club, and as they went to the club dressed up in different ways, they'd ask if Ricky Ricardo would be there that evening, and when the owner would say that he was no longer with that club, they'd all stand up and yell and leave. It ended up where the owner hired Ricky back, with a pay raise.

This thread is only going to lead to YouTube video being posted.

Last edited by Brent L; 06-08-07 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-08-07, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wmansir
I haven't watched many episodes but I caught part of The Kleptomaniac the other day it had a great scene where Lucy and Ethel burst into the apartment brandishing guns pretending to be on the run after robbing a bank:

Ethel: Did you get any of them?
Lucy: I got two - a flat foot and a private eye. I got the eye in the foot and the foot in the eye.
I love this as well.
Old 06-08-07, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"Lucy Goes to Scotland", a surreal mini-musical episode with Fred and Ethel as a two-headed dragon.
Old 06-08-07, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I think of ILL, I always think of the chocolate conveyor belt and the grape mashing episodes.
Old 06-08-07, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by PacMan2006
2) Lucy and Ethel pretend to be Aliens
"It's a moo moo"

I love this show!
Old 06-09-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I dont think i ever seen a whole episode of this show
Old 06-09-07, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Do you pop out at parties? Are you unpoopular?

das
Old 06-09-07, 07:32 PM

lucy and john wayne
lucy and superman
the best.
Old 06-09-07, 07:59 PM

The episode with Harpo Marx.
Old 06-09-07, 08:46 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

the one where Norm takes on Cliff's mail route when Cliff is sick, and Norm gets busted!

Cheers FTW!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.