Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Death Proof - 9/17/07

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-07, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Death Proof - 9/17/07

I'm sure people are gonna say that this should be in the Grindhouse section, but come on, it's DEATH PROOF.

http://www.amazon.com/Grindhouse-Pre...1163777&sr=1-5

Here's to hoping the Weinsteins put their first DTS track on the DVD and all the missing footage is on the DVD or the Cannes Cut is included.
Old 06-06-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uggg... Looks like I won't be owning 'Grindhouse.' I refuse to purchase the movies seperately because the entire point was the "grindhouse experience'
Old 06-06-07, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't wait to see the full cut. I'll definitely get this and an extended Planet Terror separately as well as the full Grindhouse double-feature if they put that out.
Old 06-06-07, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by critterdvd
Uggg... Looks like I won't be owning 'Grindhouse.' I refuse to purchase the movies seperately because the entire point was the "grindhouse experience'

Ya, agreed, it looks like Weinstein is still disappointed and angry and wants to ignore the whole "Grindhouse" thing which was the whole point of the project to begin with. I have absolutely no interest in these supposed separate releases.

I would love a decent DVD release of the original theatrical "Grindhouse" film experience - so if anyone can direct me that way, I'd be more than thankful. It doesn't look like we're going to see the original theatrical version from Weinstein anytime soon. What a shame at the idiocy going on in this company.
Old 06-06-07, 08:15 PM
Banned

Weinsteins are basically idiots who lucked out with Pulp Fiction.
Old 06-06-07, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, it works out for me, since Death Proof is the half I want to own. Here's hoping for an HD release.
Old 06-06-07, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
Here's hoping for an HD release.
I don't think TWC has delivered an HD DVD day-and-date, though, usually letting the high-def release lag 2 to 3 months behind. Hopefully that'll change by the time September rolls around.
Old 06-06-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts
Hopefully there will be a foreign LE that has them both together. I have no want to watch these seperate. Plus i feel cheated that i would have to buy two diffrent dvds when i saw the movie at the same time. Especially if they are 20 bucks each
Old 06-06-07, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I said in the other thread they'd market these like Tales From The Crypt films but titling themselves 'Grindhouse Presents:'. Damnit.
Old 06-06-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Lame.

They can call me when they release them together.
Old 06-07-07, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess there are very few of us who don't need to see the theatrical experience reproduced on DVD. I'm probably just bitter, but if you missed it you missed it.
Old 06-07-07, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
that link doesn't seem too legit so i wouldn't jump to any conclusions that they're going to be seperate releases just yet.
Old 06-07-07, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Even if it was put as a single GRINDHOUSE release they would probably be on seperate discs anyway.
Old 06-07-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I don't think TWC has delivered an HD DVD day-and-date, though, usually letting the high-def release lag 2 to 3 months behind. Hopefully that'll change by the time September rolls around.
They haven't. This will probably be my only non-HD or Blu Ray film purchase this year. I don't mind getting the normal DVD since it's supposed to look like crap anyhow. But I will pass unless this is the full cut.
Old 06-07-07, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Same here, The whole point to "Grindhouse" was to bring that style to modern audiences.
Old 06-07-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, we only had both directors say they'd be released seperately, along with the Weinsteins. Nothing too official.
Old 06-07-07, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Same here, The whole point to "Grindhouse" was to bring that style to modern audiences.
And the audience didn't show up. Now they have to make their money back some other way. We may not like what they're doing, but I understand it.
Old 06-07-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well this is disappointing regardless of how expected it was. I guess we'll never get the full "Grindhouse experience" on DVD. I'll still be buying both films anyway.
Old 06-07-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I guess we'll never get the full "Grindhouse experience" on DVD. I'll still be buying both films anyway.
There's no way that the U.S. theatrical cut will be banished from the world or anything. We'll still get it. Just looks like we'll have to wait longer than expected.

But if these singular, extended versions have good word of mouth, I may end up getting them as well.
Old 06-07-07, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Seantn
And the audience didn't show up. Now they have to make their money back some other way. We may not like what they're doing, but I understand it.
Bomb or not, there was a lot of marketing money and a lot of exposure for the theatrical film "GRINDHOUSE". The only real exposure "DEATH PROOF" has is its one Cannes screening which most general audiences never heard of. Tarantino's name was plastered all over "GRINDHOUSE" and people still skipped it so if he expects the basically unknown "Death Proof" to go through the roof, he's insane. The only smart thing that Weinstein is doing if that link is true is calling it "Grindhouse presents" so that audiences can go "oh ya", it's part of that movie several months back. Too bad, though, that there are several other DVD companies who have already appropriated the "Grindhouse" word in the interim for their own releases to capitalize on all the free marketing Weinstein delivered already for the theatrical release. Lots of confusion for the general audience. I don't see any other DVD companies suddenly making rip-off releases based on "Death Proof" or "Planet Terror" - but they sure like the word "Grindhouse" since it's the one that had all the promotion.

So I doubt a stand-alone DVD release of this basically unknown entity called "Death Proof" which had basically no theatrical marketing of its own will bring in the $100 million Weinstein needs to make his money back. Once again, if they were smart, they'd release all 3 options: "Grindhouse" and the two separate films. Some of us would buy all three if it was done that way. But by releasing only the two separate films, a lot of us will buy NONE. Hmmm ... really smart business plan.

And as far as the comment that "Grindhouse" would be on two discs anyway, first of all that is not necessarily true. Secondly, it's not simply the point that these two films are being released separately. It's that they are being cleaned up, missing reels re-inserted, no scratches, trailers may or may not be included, etc. It's not "Grindhouse" anymore.
Old 06-07-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I will still get them but i hate that they are releasing them seperate. I want them together with the fake trailers and ads
Old 06-07-07, 11:49 AM

The real irony here is that if these were actually popular Grindhouse films, we wouldn't care at all about repeating the experience of seeing them in the theaters. We'd want the best possible print in a film-specific release.
Old 06-07-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by beavis69
Hopefully there will be a foreign LE that has them both together. I have no want to watch these seperate.
It seems doubtful, the reason the films were split overseas (well in advance of it underperforming here) is because foreign audience were unfamiliar with Grindhouse theaters.
Old 06-07-07, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by JesseCuster8
The real irony here is that if these were actually popular Grindhouse films, we wouldn't care at all about repeating the experience of seeing them in the theaters. We'd want the best possible print in a film-specific release.
True! Pretty funny, isn't it?
Old 06-07-07, 02:12 PM

Anyone who's angry over the separate releases because they missed it in theaters only have themselves to blame. If it was a huge hit than we would be more likely to see a full grindhouse release...just sayin'.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.