Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

What's the most effective way to get a good deal from Comcast?

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-07, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard everything from threaten to cancel / switch providers to change packages for the promo to just call and see what they can do for you.

Bottom line: My wife is losing her job after next week, we have our first baby due in August, and we need to cut back on things for now.

Right now we have digital TV and internet. Bill comes to $116 a month. I'm about to remove the box and take it in and tell them we just want internet for now (no way I'm giving that up), but then I believe the cost for that alone goes up if you don't have Comcast TV. There's always the chance they won't come out and put the filter on to block the TV channels if you just have internet, but I don't feel right with that if it happens.

We're considering the Triple Play for $99 a month, but that's only for 12 months and I'm not sure if I want Comcast for my home phone too. They already have enough control over me. Plus, if the cable goes out you lose all three, right?

Any suggestions? Thank you.
Old 06-06-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
When was on the Dish for a couple of years I had Comcast data and a thing called lifeline cable (just the local channels) and the monthly bill was something like $52.
Old 06-06-07, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The triple play is the best "deal" - assuming you have a land line phone bill that gets dropped when converted. There are ups and downs with VoIP phone service.

Also, by law, in most areas cable companies have to offer a BASIC package that has 10 channels or so for $15/month or something like that. You might be able to switch to that and keep the lower price for the internet service as this qualifies as a TV package. I forget what the minimal TV package is called, and you won't find it on their web site as they don't want to sell it. You have to call and ask.
Old 06-06-07, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was wondering where I should have put this thread, but didn't figure HOT DEALS, since I had no deal to mention.

Of course now I likely won't get as many responses.
Old 06-06-07, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I was in the same predicament. If you tell them what you are willing to pay and what you want they will actually work with you. I basically got my same exact package for 32 dollars cheaper a month just by stating if I couldn't get it down to 100 I'd be forced to cancel.
Old 06-06-07, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, here is what I did for now.

I just got off the phone with Comcast. I downgraded my TV to "Expanded Basic" which is channels 1-100. plus she gave me a $10 a month "loyality discount". Internet stays the same.

Total for the bill, $85. If I go down to "Limited Basic" which is channels 1-22 minus ESPN, that's $10 a month which would put my bill at $58 a month roughly.
Old 06-06-07, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much is the "expanded basic" costing you?

Right now, with Comcast I have just basic, channels 2-20-something, and I have a basic digital package, which I got so I have access to SciFi. I also have the box, other "digital" channels, the Encore movie channels, music, on demand, etc. What I don't have are things like TBS, TNN, USA, MTV, CNN, Fox News, etc., which I haven't had for years and don't really miss at all.

That's running me about $28 a month.

For Internet, I use Verizon DSL, now $20 a month.
Old 06-06-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
How much is the "expanded basic" costing you?
Base price is $52.98.

So exactly what is included in a "digital basic package"?

I never really watch Encores or SciFi. I mainly want my ESPN come fall and Comedy Central.
Old 06-06-07, 04:59 PM

What I've done is stuck with basic, cut out "standard," and added a digital package - either digital plus, or digital premiere, I can't recall the exact name.

If you want ESPN and Comedy Central, then you wouldn't want to do what I've done. They're in that big block I don't get.

A big reason I did this was so I could watch the new Battlestar Galactica. Comcast (the bastards) moved SciFi from standard to digital. I didn't want to add even more cost, so I cut standard and added digital, once I found you can have just basic and add digital to it.

I may miss stuff like South Park, but I prefer having a cable bill under $30. I do have 200 DVDs...
Old 06-06-07, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I may miss stuff like South Park, but I prefer having a cable bill under $30. I do have 200 DVDs...
Yeah, I've got double that, but come college football season, they won't do me any good.
Old 06-06-07, 05:56 PM
Retired

Yeah, sports is the kicker. If it wasn't for sports I could do just the lowest tier, plus HD as pretty much all I watch are sports and Network shows (OTA doesn't come in well in my condo building).

But I've got to have the ESPNs for football, basketball and baseball, and TNT for NBA playoffs etc.
Old 06-07-07, 08:28 AM

I just called them the other day as well. my big problem is that i want my ESPN in HD, which is the second "tier" of hd. My package is supposed to be up the 8th, which included HBO, but i'm not going to miss the series finale of the Sopranos. They gave me a "deal" on my premium channels for the next 6 months (coming off an even better deal) but i'll probably cancel my hbo next month, as all i watch is entourage anymore.
Old 06-08-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tried my hardest to cancel Comcast but they have a monopoly here. There are NO other companies that offer high speed interent and a TV package. I tried DirectTV and AT&T - both a no go.

Any other options for high speed and TV with one company?

If I pick from 2 companies I know I will be paying more as they all do the BS with the package deals. Pisses me off to no end. I've had some serious problems from Comcast lately and just wanted to jump ship as it is NOT worth the hassle. Getting to tech support and actually getting a guy out is none existent. I could go on and on with how bad there service is but I digress.
Old 06-10-07, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What I've done is stuck with basic, cut out "standard," and added a digital package - either digital plus, or digital premiere, I can't recall the exact name.

If you want ESPN and Comedy Central, then you wouldn't want to do what I've done. They're in that big block I don't get.

A big reason I did this was so I could watch the new Battlestar Galactica. Comcast (the bastards) moved SciFi from standard to digital. I didn't want to add even more cost, so I cut standard and added digital, once I found you can have just basic and add digital to it.

Wow...I didn't know you could do this! So, you get the basic cable package and everything above the highest standard channel (like, everything above 76 or so)? For less than $30? How did you pull this off?
Old 06-11-07, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the best way to get a deal is to call them and complain about their high prices & crappy service. every time i've done so, they give me a huge discount and/or free service.
Old 06-13-07, 08:12 AM

I just moved into a new place this week, and got the basic package (seems to be around 2-22 or so) and added HDTV package, I've got all I need I think (I get all the normal broadcast channels in HD, ESPN & 2, Mojo, MtvHD, etc) and I can tune 1-100 or so using an analog tuner. With an HdDVR i think I should be around 30-35 per month.
Old 06-13-07, 11:20 AM

Whoa - mine's expensive. I pay $180 a month for Digital Cable (w/ HBO & Starz), Two DVRs, HD Programming, Digital Phone and Cable Internet. It's gonna jump another $5 because NFL Network is going into a Sports Package...
Old 06-13-07, 12:01 PM

If you have HD and HD programming do you find yourself watching non-HD channels? I like to have comedy central on while I fall asleep at night but other than that I find I hardly ever watch anything non HD anymore.
Old 06-13-07, 12:29 PM

The majority of channels I watch are in HD so I watch it a lot. ESPN, HBO, Starz, and of course NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, & CW.

But I do watch Non-HD programming too.