Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fernandel Boxset from Imavision (Québec)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-07, 01:26 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imavision is a Quebec outfit that markets French films for the Quebec market. The films are Region 1 and usually not subtitled. There are very few extras; the image is non-anamorphic and usually progressive-scanned with PAL to NTSC ghosting. I must admit , however,I have been rather satisfied with the results so far, as the films are inexpensive, the film elements very good and the bitrate fair.

As a Francophone living in Ontario, I certainly find their products "better than nothing". They can be found in some of our rare French-language libraries and can be ordered directly from their website: www.imavision.com .

The company offers two Fernandel boxsets, one 2-DVD set and one 3-DVD set. I'm concerned here with the three-DVD/6 films set which offers much better films. Although those DVDs are now sold separately, they used to be part of a boxset which was probably retired so as not to compete with the 2-DVD set...

The original boxset is still available from www.amazon.com :

The three individual DVDs are (http://www.imavision.com/fr/eStore,w...,ID-371.html):

They are $12.95 CAN each.

I am a great admirer of Fernandel's film work and it is lucky he has worked with some of France's best writers and directors.

I have watched the first of the set so far and even though those two films are from 1952 and 1954 respectively, I was quite surprised by the amount of casual female nudity on display here in the middle of what are otherwise mainstream, heart-warming comedies. The Imavision version of quite a few Brigitte Bardot films on the BB boxset were quite obviously missing their celebrated nudity scenes so I'm wondering if there is a double standard in action here: BB can't be shown naked for export but any anonymous starlet can?

Anyway, these films were never seen like this on Quebec television before! I found the image and the mono sound quite acceptable and I really recommend that purchase. At least one film in the collection, Le Diable et les Dix Commandements (1962), is a genuine classic by Julien Duvivier, while Le Mouton à cinq pattes is arguably the quintessential Fernandel comedy since it's the one where he plays six roles (five quintuplets and their father) and he references at least two of his previous hits (Le Petit monde de Don Camillo and Coiffeur pour Dames).

The other 2-DVD boxset offers the films:
Le Grand Chef (1958)
Raphaël le Tatoué (1938)
Coeur de coq (1947)
... which are interesting but overall less highly rated.

Imavision's sets are French-only, no subtitles.

Last edited by baracine; 06-11-07 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-05-07, 09:30 PM
Suspended

Sénéchal le Magnifique (1957) is presented in its colourized version, which is billed ingenuously as a "new colour restoration". The colourization is astonishing as French jobs usually are, meaning that the amount of detail is incredible, especially in the colours of complicated dress and decor patterns, wall hangings, paintings, the subtlety of lighting atmospheres, etc. The only detail that might give it away are the skin tones, which are sometimes too dark. But I still had to check the film's technical specifications on IMDb before finding out it was actually colourized...

Last edited by baracine; 06-06-07 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-06-07, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for such a detailed write-up, Baracine. Interesting to hear about these releases.

I've seen (but haven't bought) some of the R2 Fernandel box sets in France. You may know about (or own) these, but anyway, there's:

...one with "Honoré de Marseille", "Le Couturier de ces dames", & "L'ennemi public No.1".

...another with "Vie à deux", "Berlingot et cie", & "Le chômeur de Clochemerle".

...a set of his earliest films entitled "Fernandel - Les Débuts prometteurs" (containing "La Meilleur bobonne"/"La Fine combine"/"Bric à brac et compagnie").

...and the "Don Camillo" 6-disc set.

Dazza.
Old 06-06-07, 06:39 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dazza
Thanks for such a detailed write-up, Baracine. Interesting to hear about these releases.

I've seen (but haven't bought) some of the R2 Fernandel box sets in France. You may know about (or own) these, but anyway, there's:

...one with "Honoré de Marseille", "Le Couturier de ces dames", & "L'ennemi public No.1".

...another with "Vie à deux", "Berlingot et cie", & "Le chômeur de Clochemerle".

...a set of his earliest films entitled "Fernandel - Les Débuts prometteurs" (containing "La Meilleur bobonne"/"La Fine combine"/"Bric à brac et compagnie").

...and the "Don Camillo" 6-disc set.

Dazza.
I'm unfortunately sctrictly Region 1, hence the difficulty. I own the first two "Don Camillo" films in a very good French-only made-in-Quebec R1 Lea Films release (no ghosting), also available on amazon.com:

The five Fernandel films are available in that series. I hear, though, that the Italian-language versions are not to be sneezed at either. (Does Fernandel do his own dubbing?)

By the way, I urge you not to shy away from French colourized DVDs when you can get them. Judging from Sénéchal le Magnifique, whose colour is so good it had me waxing poetic about the marvels and subtlety of French Technicolor, before i realized the film had been originally shot in B&W, this is the work of true magicians or monomaniacal monks. I googled the subject and came across a commentator who described this film's colour as "pastel vomit", which is a sad example of prejudice obscuring judgment and even eyesight. I have also seen other colourized French comedies of the 50's on TV which were truly amazing in their detail and realism. I'll try to post screen caps when I have the chance.

Last edited by baracine; 06-06-07 at 07:16 AM.