Reload this Page >

Let's talk about what comics you're reading in June, 2007

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 06-04-07, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it's time for a new thread for the month of June.

My friend handed me a few Captain America HC/TPBs from Ed Brubacker's current run. I'm read the first few issues from the first HC and enjoying it, plus Steve Epting's artwork is just a pleasure to look at and behold.

I'm about to start on the Wonder Woman arc by Jodi Picoult, and Amazons Attack! I think I'm about caught up on most of my regular titles, and also have time to get into some others that have been on my backburner.
Old 06-04-07, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts
Heres what i got from DCBS today:

ROBIN #162
SUPERMAN BATMAN #35
WITCHBLADE ADRIANA MELO CVR B #106
COUNTDOWN #49
BIRDS OF PREY #106
WONDER WOMAN #9
52 VOLUME 1 TP
COUNTDOWN #48
GREEN LANTERN #20
TEEN TITANS #47
GIRLS VOL 4 TP
PUNISHER MAX VOL 3 HC
NEW X-MEN CHILDHOODS END VOL 4 TP
ACTION COMICS #850
JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #6
BOYS #7
BOYS VOL 1 TP

Between the JLA/JSA crossover, and Action #850, I'm really starting to get interest in Legion. I never really bothered with them before, but now it seems like DC is trying to finally "fix" them.

And Countdown is awesome 1 month in.
Old 06-05-07, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stingermck
Between the JLA/JSA crossover, and Action #850, I'm really starting to get interest in Legion. I never really bothered with them before, but now it seems like DC is trying to finally "fix" them.

And Countdown is awesome 1 month in.
Legion was never broken to begin with, it just didn't have a lot of star status. If you want good legion stories, there are a ton of great TPBs. It's nice that being it's practically in a world of its own there's a reboot every 10 years or so (The last two were actually handled by Mark Waid), that takes the book in a new direction. On that note, does anyone know if Legion Lost will finally be getting a TPB or hardcover? it's one of the best Legion - and comic - stories ever.
Old 06-05-07, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts
I didn't mean Legion was broken in terms of it sucking, just continuity problems that Ive read about since the First Crisis. I will admit that Supergirl's addition has made me start reading it some.
Old 06-05-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,455 Posts
I'm not sure if it's nice that Legion gets rebooted every few years... I find it a little frustrating. Though I guess they're bringing back the original Legion, which will only get kudos from me, even if it totally ignores or happens before the excellent Bierbaums/Giffen series.

Someone mentioned in the last thread that the first Wonder Woman arc would be finished in a one-shot. That's crap. I'm not reading the whole Amazons Attack thing, but what the heck happened to Donna Troy? I assume she's no longer Wonder Woman...
Old 06-05-07, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's weird seeing these old Legionnaires because I'm been going through my comic collection (re-bagging a lot of old comics), and fondly remember that phase for LSH from about #210-#245, with nifty artwork from Mike Grell, and later with James Sherman in the 230's-240's.
Old 06-05-07, 11:11 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
The best Legion was the stuff written by Paul Levitz, particularly his second run on the title. Do yourself a favor and pick up the TPB of The Great Darkness Saga -- one of the best superhero stories ever written. DC has also announced a TPB of the Legion of Superheroes/Legion of Supervillains war by Levitz -- also worth getting when it's released.

Also great was anything written by Jim Shooter, particularly his first run on the title. I also liked the early post-Zero Hour stuff (the first year or so), and the last year or two of Abnett and Lanning's run.

The Giffen/Bierbaum stuff started off interesting in a "This isn't what the Legion is supposed to be like, but it's still a good story" sort of way. Then it got worse and worse until Giffen left and the book became downright unreadable.

The Waid/Kitson stuff has been OK, but not as good a comic as it should be given Waid's skill. I probably would have dropped it if I weren't such a Legion junkie.
Old 06-06-07, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
The best Legion was the stuff written by Paul Levitz, particularly his second run on the title. Do yourself a favor and pick up the TPB of The Great Darkness Saga -- one of the best superhero stories ever written. DC has also announced a TPB of the Legion of Superheroes/Legion of Supervillains war by Levitz -- also worth getting when it's released.

Also great was anything written by Jim Shooter, particularly his first run on the title. I also liked the early post-Zero Hour stuff (the first year or so), and the last year or two of Abnett and Lanning's run.

The Giffen/Bierbaum stuff started off interesting in a "This isn't what the Legion is supposed to be like, but it's still a good story" sort of way. Then it got worse and worse until Giffen left and the book became downright unreadable.

The Waid/Kitson stuff has been OK, but not as good a comic as it should be given Waid's skill. I probably would have dropped it if I weren't such a Legion junkie.
Agree totally. Given Waid's past history with the Legion - and rebooting it - he should be crafting better stories. I think the intrusion of Supergirl into the universe deemed by DC's editorial staff really threw the quality of the book off. The first 2 storylines were fantastic. However, I do love his post-modern version of the Legion.
Old 06-06-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
but what the heck happened to Donna Troy? I assume she's no longer Wonder Woman...
She's tied into Countdown right now. She was Wonder Woman in issue #1, and out in #3 (I think).

I really wish DC had Wonder Woman #1 start with Piculot's story, or with Simone handling the writing duties. Heinburg's erratic writing and unfinished storyline really hurt the title.
Old 06-06-07, 11:45 AM

I've been catching up on Supergirl and the LOSH (I still don't have the last issue or two), and I'm still enjoying it. I think it definitely reads a lot better all at once, though. Each individual issue can be somewhat unsatisfying.
Old 06-06-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Still haven't been into the shop since the end of March, but it looks like I very well might be going this weekeend. I honestly can't remember what was happening in the few books I still buy.
Old 06-06-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I dunno, I loved the Giffen/Bierbaum's version, though it did tend to fall apart after Giffen left... even then, it's amazing the kind of artwork that was on that book (and Legionnaires): Keith Giffen (before the unreadable Trencher phase), Brandon Peterson, Jason Pearson, Stuart Immonen, Chris Sprouse, Adam Hughes, Colleen Doran, etc., with Kitson on L.E.G.I.O.N. Liked how they replaced Superman with Mon-el/Valor as far as historical inspiration went, and they weren't afraid to mess with established characters. You did need to be a legion fan, though, to make sense of it.

The subsequent Zero Hour reboot was ok, though they were in a pretty tough spot: if they stuck to mimicking Legion history, people would complain they were too predictable, but as soon as they veered away (like Snake Jeckie) there were massive complaints.

Although I hated Waid's reboot at first, since I thought the Zero Hour era stuff was actually coming around to being good again post Legion-Lost, I've grown to like it. The addition of Supergirl, editor mandated or not, was not too jarring for me... I love the character, she has an established history with the Legion, and she's written far better in this book than her own. Waid leaving in the middle of a storyarc kinda worries me, though.
Old 06-07-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2 local stores had a limit on Buffy #4, 1 per person. They said they were shorted. Was this a national issue, or just coincidence that two stores had bad luck?

Picked up Black Summer #0, a new Warren Ellis book. Worth the 99 cents for the preview.
Old 06-07-07, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My LCS had a stack of Buffy #4 for sale yesterday, no limit.
Old 06-08-07, 11:25 PM

New Avengers #1 - I'm curious to see where they take this. Ex-mutants/mutants/who else?

Avengers #3 - Spiderman in black suit! Yay. Something that is bothering me with Marvel is they are taking ALOT of heroes and villains out of the picture. Either by killing them off (read Punisher: War Journal for a few) or sticking the new inhibitors in them. Whatever Marvel has up their sleeve, it should be a huge conclusion.

Picked up Omega Flight #3, Iluminati #3, Uncanny X-men 487 but haven't read those yet.
Old 06-09-07, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm looking forward to World War Hulk.
Old 06-09-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 593 Likes on 341 Posts
Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
I'm looking forward to World War Hulk.
As am I. I think the first part(s) will be out next week. Gee, ya think Tony will convince Hulk to register??
Old 06-11-07, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Got last month's shipment in!

52 Week #52 Finally! Not DC's fault that it happened to miss my last monthly shipment, but man was that annoying. A good final issue, though I still think if I really went back and calculated how much I spent on this series, I'd regret it.

All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder #5

Civil War Young avengers and Runaways Quick question. I've only been reading the HCs of both Young Avengers and Runaways... should I read this now, or will this spoil something that hasn't been released in HC?

Countdown 51-48 Only preordered these first few issues, but I'm such a DC fan, that I'm afraid if I read them now I'll run out to the LCS to pick up the rest and end up collecting this weekly. Must... wait... for... the... trade...

JLA 9/JSA 6 Like any crossover, I think I'd be very upset if I collected only one title or the other, as I'd have no idea what was going on... I'd also be upset if I didn't know the Legion. But I love the two teams, I love the Legion, and it looks like my quest to go trade only on these will have to be posponed, perhaps indefinitely.

On a side note, on the real DC Universe Earth, was Clark still Superboy who went around with the Legion? When did they retcon this?

Mouse Guard vol 1 HC

Runaways Vol 3 HC Still haven't read vol 2, but I'm looking forward to rereading Vol. 1 and marathoning this

Supergirl 17 I guess that answers the question as to whether Supergirl and her father were just imagining the whole thing. This seems to take place in it's own universe, though...

Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes 30 Interesting ending with Cos... what's the future of this title, though, anyone know? This seemed like a wrap up issue, though I know there's a new creative team coming aboard... is this a different multiverse?

Teen Titans 46-47 The whole West Coast Titans conflict ends with a kinda thud, and I'm still not sure if I like Deathstroke's supposed motivation for this whole thing. Wait, Donna's troia again? what?

Wonder Woman 9

X-Factor: Many Lives of Madrox HC
Old 06-13-07, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haven't posted here in a while, this was IMO the BEST new comic book day of the year for me, they type of day where I was giddy like a little dorky kid at all the awesome stuff that came out today. so I figured I'd post what I picked up . . .

Batman Confidential #6 - Been pretty disspointed with this book, never been a fan of Portacio so that is a big reason why.

Countdown #46 - It's been just ok so far, kind of blah.

DMZ #20 - Really diggin' the hell out of the current story arc.

Fables #62 - Yeah, uhmmm, I'm on like issue 18 or something. Pretty far behind.

Hawkgirl #65 - Pretty sure I'm the only person that reads this book. I actually really like it too, especially the art.

Jack Kirbys Fourth World Omnibus Vol 1 HC - I've been sooooo psyched for this since the 1st time I saw the solicitation. I looooove Kirby's Fourth World stuff, & I'm addicted to hardcovers. It doesn't get much better than this.

Loveless #18

Re-Gifters GN - I actually thought that Plain Janes kind of sucked, I know it gets a ton of praise, & yeah I'm not the target audience, but I can still appreciate a good book in any genre. Flipped through this it looks a lot more interesting so I figure I'd give it a shot.

Stormwatch PHD #8 - This has become one of the books I get the most excited for, & I'm not a stormwatch fan at all.

Superman Batman #36

Noble Causes #30

Avengers Classic #1- New Avengers gets all the hype (unfortunately)this week, but this is the book that reminds me of why I loved the Avengers. So glad Marvel is doing a book like this.

Fantastic Four Omnibus Vol 2 HC Variant - kick-ass item #2. I read the shit out of volume 1. I'm such a dork for these big-ass omnibi, & the 1st FF has been my favorite so far. Had to get the variant b/c of the amazing Ladron art. These really were some of the greatest comics ever produced.

Hulk Planet Hulk HC - Another book I could not wait to get, going to re-read the story all over again.

Mystic Arcana Magik - Annihilation was so good, hoping some magic can be worked on another lost Marvel genre.

New Avengers #31 - God this book sucks, feels like they've been fighting ninjas for about 2 years in this book. And what the hell happaned to Yu's art.

New X-Men #39

Nova #3 - Series has been great so far. 1 of my fav marvel books.

World War Hulk #1 - WOOO HOOO!!! This was soooo good. Better than any summer blockbuster you'll see in the theater.

Conan & The Midnight God #4

Star Wars Legacy #13

And to top it all off, I had to sneak it into my apartment b/c the gf was there when I got home, but ohhh it is so geekily glorious, I've been waiting so long for just the right Thor statue, I knew Bowen wouldn't let me down. . . .

Old 06-13-07, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My quest to quit all my books continues. Today was only 3 titles, and I eliminated two of them.

Countdown sucks. Plain and simple. 52 started off with a bang, Countdown has proceeded at a steady whimper.

Justice is over, so there's another title off the list.

Despite not reading the Planet Hulk series, I picked up World War Hulk #1 and was impressed. I'm not going to pick up the crossovers, but I'll buy the base series and possibly Front Line as well.
Old 06-13-07, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
My pull box at my LCBS is about a Month full. I'm going to pick it up next week. $$$$$

I've also been trying to drop titles so i can save money and save myself from reading titles that aren't delivering. It's an OCD nightmare....

I wish I had the money/space to buy statues/busts. Right now my only guilty pleasure is anything featuring Darkness from film LEGEND and that's about it.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-13-07 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-13-07, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

ok, at least you guys are keeping me on track to wait-for-the-trade on Countdown... similar to how the posters here helped me to not buy as many Civil War trades.

Doesn't make up for all the stuff I bought because people here liked it, though... Never thought I'd pick up Annihilation, for instance, and that New Universal trade...
Old 06-13-07, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I might have picked up my last issue of Countdown today. And that was only because it was out of habit. I'm sorry to say, this weekly isn't winning me over like 52 did.

But I'm dancing with glee over World War Hulk. It delivered the beat-down I've been waiting over a year for...and it's only Issue 1!!! I'm seriously looking forward to the rest of this Event.
Old 06-13-07, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts
Okay, I just got the new Fantastic Four Omnibus Vol. 2 (collecting issues 31-60 plus a couple of annuals), and it's really really really great. It's pretty much the pinnacle of superhero comics, and some of the best work Jack Kirby ever did - which is saying a lot. I got it for around $60, but it's easily worth double that.
Old 06-13-07, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WWH fell totally flat for me. I can't even sum up why, and with so many people drooling over it, I feel like I'm missing something. Ah well. I'm still interested to see what's going to happen.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.