Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Leone R1 vs. R2

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-07, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leone R1 vs. R2

I've got the R2 releases for A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More, and can't tell if the same set of extras are available on the new set that's coming out in the US this coming week. Anyone know?

With the DD sale, one can get the box set for $48 or so (including the 2-discer for Duck You Sucker/Fistful of Dynamite, which I only have a single-disc R2 DVD for). I'm debating getting the R1 boxset and selling off my R2 discs if they're the same.

Opinions/info on these releases?
Old 06-03-07, 12:12 AM

The extras are exactly the same. You can see R2 extra listings at a site like this: DVDCompare.net. (The R1 CE is not listed yet)

However for Duck, You Sucker, the R1 release will have an English Mono sound option available which the R2 does NOT have. This seems to be a good choice given that I hear the 5.1 remix was handled horribly as evidenced by many forum-goers and at sites like DVDBeaver.com

Last edited by Gonvik; 06-03-07 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-03-07, 01:07 AM

Excellent, thanks!
Old 08-06-09, 10:18 AM

Re: Leone R1 vs. R2

However for Duck, You Sucker, the R1 release will have an English Mono sound option available which the R2 does NOT have. This seems to be a good choice given that I hear the 5.1 remix was handled horribly as evidenced by many forum-goers and at sites like DVDBeaver.com
I have some grave news for you. While the "English mono" track on the new Collector's Edition is indeed a mono track, it's NOT the original mono track. It's simply a reprocessed version of the 5.1 surround mix the features the wrong music cues towards the second third of the film.

And yes I read Glenn Erickson's review of the DVD here dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s2331leon.html which states the following:

I've heard some alarms on the web that music cues in the film have been altered, but John Kirk says that he had no issues with the music and changed nothing. The web reports say that the music in the crucial 'entering the pub' flashback is different. I had no VHS source to check, but I did pull out both the 1990 and 1997 Image Laserdiscs to compare them with the new version. The music for that scene is the same on all of them. The confusion may be that the original soundtracks begin the music cue a bar or two earlier, with the series of heavier low notes.
The 'entering the pub' flashback does indeed have the original music, and no-one has ever disputed that. There are however three crucial scenes that do not have the original music: 1) The second pub flashback, 2) John's final flashback and 3) the end credits! I have had many copies of Duck You Sucker, on VHS and DVD (both in English and Italian) and all of them are in agreement, while the new version is just completely different.

Not convinced, or didn't bother to read it all? No problem, just watch this comparison: youtube.com/watch?v=5x87839cyvQ and youtube.com/watch?v=S29O1Vx3pao&feature=related (Sorry about the url's, they don't allow me to post the actual ones)
Old 08-06-09, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Leone R1 vs. R2

I'm not sure how grave that is. It appears crikey hasn't been here in about two years.

But your info was surprisingly informative for a first post. Welcome to the forums!