Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Lost World (1925) - Question on different versions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-07, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Lost World (1925) - Question on different versions

So I'm looking to buy a few dvds as part of DeepDiscount's current sale, and one of them is The Lost World (1925). However, there seem to be two versions both put out by Image, and DD only carries one of them.

Does anyone know the differences between these two versions in regards to print quality and extras? I want the most complete package I can get, but DD only carries the second version.

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-World-Res...0800059&sr=8-8

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewprod...ductId=7492505
Old 06-02-07, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From what little details were on both sites and even though they are shown with slightly different packaging, I believe they both represent the same "extended and restored" edition.

I have this in my stop-mo collection, however I am not sure it is the best version available. I recall reading somewhere that there was a definitive, cleaned-up and restored version with a bunch of extras, including a commentary by Ray Harryhausen. Although this one does have a lot of extras, there is no Harryhausen commentary. At least none is indicated on the packaging.
Old 06-02-07, 07:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's also a $1 budget version out there, which (sorry to say) I own; I didn't know these others existed until I read this thread. Thanks for the info!
Old 06-02-07, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
The one offered at DD.com looks like the original version from Lumavision (Slingshot) that's supposed to be OOP. It has some early O'Brien stop motion shorts and various audio options.

It was originally released in a CD Case.
Old 06-03-07, 08:25 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
There's also a $1 budget version out there, which (sorry to say) I own; I didn't know these others existed until I read this thread. Thanks for the info!
That's the one I have. Came from the dollar store in a cardboard case, had another movie on it also, The Giant Gila Monster.
Old 06-03-07, 03:06 PM

Well, from what I can tell from Googling and from this old DVDTalk thread ( http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....ght=lost+world ) it seems as if the DD version hasn't been restored. Seems like I want the Amazon version.
Old 06-03-07, 04:24 PM

I found a review you may not have seen that lists scenes on the Image transfer that are not on the Slingshot version...and a few on the Slingshot version that are not on the Image transfer...

http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/sho...w.php3?ID=1134
Old 09-25-07, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Shepard/Bloomberg version is supposed to be the most unedited (from the DVDTalk Silent review). But is it available anywhere on DVD?
Old 09-25-07, 10:29 AM

what the new version that was just released as part of the remake release? any info on that?
Old 09-25-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steve
what the new version that was just released as part of the remake release? any info on that?

I have that one, and it is 75 minutes long. Don't really know aboout it's history though, or if it's the most complete.
Old 10-06-07, 12:06 PM

i have a subscription service that gives me trailers and teasers in my inbox - I just got one for the release of the Lost World on DVD, which version is this referring to?
Old 10-06-07, 12:21 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

from what ive read, the framerate of the film differs so that some versions are 84 mins-up to 2 hours-with mostly the same content (dont ask me)
You can get the joy of Irwin Allens schklockpiece from 1960, in 16:9 widescreen along with the 1925 version, as of Sept 11.
Old 10-06-07, 04:59 PM

The David Shepard restoration is the DVD released by IMAGE ENTERTAINMENT and list for around $20. It is the most complete version on DVD, timed to run at the apparently proper speed, has 2 different musical tracks, audio commentary, repro program book and more....and substantially better image quality than the George Eastman House version released on the SlingShot label...which wasn't too bad at all.

However....

To further cloud things, the George Eastman house version listed above should NOT be confused with the later George Eastman House restored version that exists. Shepard originally tried to obtain the rights for this but GEH said nope so at that point so he did a restoration of his own....which is the disc release noted above from IMAGE.

And, it should be noted, that THIS GEH restored version is rumoured to be the bonus disc of the new FOX release. Can't say anything about it myself since I haven't seen it yet...
Old 10-10-07, 04:29 PM

You would think with all the silly nerd things said in that clip I posted on the release they would bother to give out the geeky info I need.
Old 10-10-07, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Diabolita23
i have a subscription service that gives me trailers and teasers in my inbox - I just got one for the release of the Lost World on DVD, which version is this referring to?
Guess I should have watched it ALL the first time...

Its the bonus disc that comes with the FOX 1960 version of LOST WORLD...

Last edited by Carcosa; 10-10-07 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-13-07, 05:35 PM

Regarding the Fox bonus release of the 1925 version...

Although it credits David Shepard in the insert text regarding the film's restoration, this is not the version he did originally in conjunction with Serge Bromburg since they used NO footage at all from the George Eastman House archive. This new version is also definitly different than the previous GEH print that is/was available from SlingShot. The new one opens with footage that appears in the Shepard restoration but not in the SlingShot version. SlingShot version also had different title credits and freeze-frame title cards...

The frame rate is faster on the Fox disc than the Image disc for sure which obviously accounts for the run time. I suspect Shepard had nothing to do with THIS particular restoration based on the frame rate issue alone...although this may have been in the hands of Fox. I don't know.

So, is this the infamous GEH restored print? Who can say. Maybe we should ask them directly and see...

All in all the David Shepard /Image disc IS the way to go if you don't mind spending the extra bucks. Its a great package.

Last edited by Carcosa; 10-13-07 at 11:22 PM.