Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Jodorowsky's "Santa Sangre" going to be released?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-07, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's one of his better known films, and I'm curious whether Anchor Bay (or Starz, whatever) has rights to the film. I know they have a UK release, but I'd prefer an R1 version.

Anyone know if it's coming out any time soon?

Thanks a lot.
Old 05-31-07, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I asked the AB rep at Fangoria's Weekend of Horrors and he said they had no plans to release it here stateside right now. I know that isn't good info, but it's something.
Old 05-31-07, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Isn't there some kind of rights entanglement involved with this title preventing a US release?
Old 06-01-07, 01:43 AM

Thanks a lot Killer Cannabis.
That's very helpful actually, I think I'll buy the R2 now that I know that an R1 is a no go.
Old 06-01-07, 02:48 AM

I'd so get this. dman, got a link for where the R2 copy is? I might be tempted to get that.

NM, let my fingers do the walking. And this is why I'm keeping my Oppo, even though I just picked up a HD-A2 last week.

Last edited by Bitgod; 06-01-07 at 02:56 AM.
Old 06-01-07, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hey if anyone orders the region 2 copy could they please let me know how the picture quality is and whether or not there is any "ghosting" (NTSC->PAL conversion problems) though i doubt there will be because there isn't a NTSC version to convert that i know of.
Old 06-01-07, 04:34 PM

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDRev...nta_sangre.htm

That's the dvdbeaver review, and the a/v stuff looks fine (there are screencaps riotinmyskull). I think I'm going to bite the bullet...

There is a buy link at the bottom of the review page, remember, buy through DVDBEAVER if you can, it's a great site.
Old 06-01-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
One of my most-wanted on DVD.
Old 06-04-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
hey if anyone orders the region 2 copy could they please let me know how the picture quality is and whether or not there is any "ghosting" (NTSC->PAL conversion problems) though i doubt there will be because there isn't a NTSC version to convert that i know of.
I've had the AB UK release since it came out. It is a great DVD. Picture quality is amazing. I would definitely recommend picking it up.

There is an interview with Jodorowsky in the latest issue of Rue Morgue and he talks about how they tried to get the rights to Sangre for this set but couldn't. He does expect it to come out in R1 though eventually.
Old 06-04-07, 04:39 PM

Amazon UK had this for about €8 which converted to about $21-ish after shipping a couple weeks back. I went ahead & ordered it since it'll probably be awhile before we finally get it here. If you're multi region you should go ahead & enjoy this one for now. No funky noticeable speedups, just a beautifully clear picture & excellent sound.
Old 06-07-07, 01:19 AM

I ended up going through an amazon reseller called daaveedee, very good service, ordered last Thur, sent on Fri, got it on Monday. Popped it into my Oppo, it looks great.
Old 06-07-07, 09:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bitgod
I ended up going through an amazon reseller called daaveedee, very good service, ordered last Thur, sent on Fri, got it on Monday. Popped it into my Oppo, it looks great.
don't forget to listen to the commentary track!
Old 04-18-09, 01:15 PM

Re: Is Jodorowsky's "Santa Sangre" going to be released?

A R0 NTSC double disc DVD from Malaysia is now available on HK Flix for $19.98.
Old 04-18-09, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

You might want to consider waiting a bit. There is a freshly restored new print of the film that is getting a European Blu-ray treatment soon. I would be surprised if a US company does not port it.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 04-19-09, 05:24 AM

I still have hope that Paramount will release this sooner or latter. I think that they retained the rights to the film since it was a part of the Republic library. If not Paramount, I hope that they let Criterion have a crack at it since they have a relationship with them now. I don't think that Anchor Bay ever had the R1 rights to the film or it would have been in the Jodorowsky box set they released.
Old 04-19-09, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
You might want to consider waiting a bit. There is a freshly restored new print of the film that is getting a European Blu-ray treatment soon. I would be surprised if a US company does not port it.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Thanks for the heads up Pro-B. That would be rad if someone here picked it up.

Also for those of you who can't wait, the R2 French version has been out for a little while. Not sure if it ended up being a FNAC exclusive or not.

http://video.fnac.com/a2484260/Santa...To=0&Nu=1&Fr=0
Old 04-21-09, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the helpful input Pro-B. Of course, being overly impulsive in all matters Jodorowsky I ordered the discs before reading your reply. I suppose it's possible that this might be a new transfer, I will post my impressions after viewing.
Old 04-21-09, 07:32 PM

MGM has the rights to Santa Sangre in the US. They've shown a rough looking print at a few revival theaters in the last year. I doubt it's even on their radar for a dvd. Best bet would be for Criterion to license it from MGM.
Old 05-01-09, 12:15 PM

Watched the Malaysian R1 Santa Sangre (available on HK Flix and Diabolik) and it appears to be a port of the Anchor Bay R2 without the audio commentary. The picture quality and 5.1 mix seemed very good to me but I will defer to DVD Beaver's professional review. If a future release comes along with the commentary I will happily pick that one up as well, but, for now at least, I am very pleased with my purchase.
Old 05-01-09, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by R. Hilton
Watched the Malaysian R1 Santa Sangre (available on HK Flix and Diabolik) and it appears to be a port of the Anchor Bay R2 without the audio commentary. The picture quality and 5.1 mix seemed very good to me but I will defer to DVD Beaver's professional review. If a future release comes along with the commentary I will happily pick that one up as well, but, for now at least, I am very pleased with my purchase.
Thanks for the info.

Has anyone picked up the R2 2-Disc from France?
Old 09-20-10, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Posted this in the HD forum:

One of the most-desired titles by Stateside disc collectors has long been Alejandro Jodorowsky’s shocking and fascinating 1989 feature SANTA SANGRE. Now, Fango has received word that the acclaimed hallucinatory fantasy-chiller will make its American DVD/Blu-ray debut early next year.

Severin Films will release the discs January 25, 2011, derived from a restored print of the uncut European version. There will also be more than five hours of extras on the two-DVD set and Blu-ray, accompanying the saga of a young man, once a circus performer with his family, who escapes from an asylum and helps his armless mother get murderous revenge. While final details have yet to be confirmed, the supplements currently slated include:

• Audio commentary by Jodorowsky

• Deleted scenes

• Multiple documentaries

• New on-camera interviews with the majority of the film’s cast and crew

• Domestic and international trailers

• Coverage of Jodorowsky’s forthcoming NYC appearances

The latter includes the director’s first-ever American retrospective, titled “Blood Into Gold: The Cinematic Alchemy of Alejandro Jodorowsky,” which takes place this Thursday, September 23-Friday, October 8 at New York City’s Museum of Arts and Design (2 Columbus Circle). Jodorowsky, whose classic films also include EL TOPO and THE HOLY MOUNTAIN, will be in attendance to conduct a rare master class on his films and philosophy; go here for more details.

“SANTA SANGRE is a landmark acquisition for us,” says Severin co-founder and CEO David Gregory. “Jodorowsky is one of the few true visionaries of cinema, and the opportunity to bring his modern masterpiece back to America is a genuine honor. Our restoration of the film, combined with an unprecedented collection of bonus features, will now introduce this brilliant film to a whole new audience.” Look for final details on the SANTA SANGRE disc contents shortly.

http://fangoria.com/index.php?option...ews&Itemid=167
Old 09-20-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

^Glad to hear! Always contemplated on getting the R2.
Old 09-20-10, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
^Glad to hear! Always contemplated on getting the R2.
Which is now OOP and pricey, making this release all the more welcome.
Old 09-20-10, 02:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

off to see if I can get someone to buy my R2 edition off of Amazon marketplace.
Old 09-20-10, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I was really hoping this would be a bare-bones MOD dvd-r release, but I'll buy the Special Edition if I must.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.