Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

David Bowie - Hours

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

David Bowie - Hours

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-07, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David Bowie - Hours

Anyone else enjoy this album like i do?

You know its from omikron the game right?
Old 05-31-07, 04:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hours was an odd attempt for Bowie to move back into a more singer/songwriter mode after the genre exercises that were Outside and Earthling. I don't think it was entirely successful, however songs like Seven and Something In The Air are pretty memorable.
Old 05-31-07, 04:27 PM

it's definitely my favorite bowie cd from the 90's! I have 3 versions of it (us original, us reissue, uk double cd reissue)
Old 05-31-07, 04:38 PM
Banned by request

What's on the double disc reissue?
Old 05-31-07, 05:50 PM

Dreamers is my favorite.

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/...+Bonus+CD).htm

Here is something i found.
Old 05-31-07, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love everything Bowie has done since (and including) Outside, except for Hours. I see it as a huge misstep. Heathen was an amazing bounce back and is now my favorite Bowie release of all.
Old 05-31-07, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I enjoy Hours, although it certainly isn't my favorite Bowie album. That honor goes to either Hunky Dory or Low, I can never decide which.
Old 05-31-07, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

to be honest, Hours is probably my least favorite of the "renaissance" (Black Tie onward) period, but that's not to say it's without gems. I personally think Heathen perfected the "back to my 70's roots" sound that Hours started on. Regardless, Thursday's Child is a masterpiece of a song.
Old 05-31-07, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jdodd
I love everything Bowie has done since (and including) Outside, except for Hours. I see it as a huge misstep. Heathen was an amazing bounce back and is now my favorite Bowie release of all.
I agree with that. I do have the 2-disc edition of the album (mostly because I have 2-disc editions of every other album post-93) but as a whole, Hours never really clicked with me. I wouldn't say Heathen was my favorite, but it's a much stronger album to me than Hours.
Old 05-31-07, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
It is quite a bit better than Black Tie, Earthling, and Outside, which were mostly crap, but not as good as Heathen and Reality, which were both very good.
Old 05-31-07, 10:34 PM
Banned by request

Damn, I love Black Tie, Outside, and Earthling. Those are some harsh words, my friend.
Old 06-01-07, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it's a pretty awkward listen. some songs sound as if he was singing to a different beat.
Old 06-01-07, 01:34 AM

I would also say that 'Hours' as an album is in my opinion probably the weakest of the Bowie albums since he came back with 'Black Tie'. While it has its moments, somehow it just doesn't work for me as an album.

This is curious, because while I don't care much for the album, I rank the live performances from the 'Hours' tour as probably the best Bowie has done. (This is an opinion formed from live recordings, not actually going to any concerts.) The band that year was really in a good shape, and the selection of songs and their arrangements was really good. Just about every song he performed from 'Hours' was in my opinion vastly superior live.

If you have the chance of getting hold of recordings like those of Elysée Montmartre (http://www.teenagewildlife.com/wcgi-...o.wcgi?id=1092) and the Kit Kat Klub performance (http://www.teenagewildlife.com/wcgi-....wcgi?id=1096), do yourself a favour and don't pass that opportunity.
Old 06-01-07, 01:48 AM
Banned by request

I recall that at one of the Hours-era shows, he opened a show with the first half of the album Low. I heard a bootleg of it and it was amazing.
Old 06-01-07, 01:51 AM

I guess you have to be a big fan of the game music, to really enjoy the album. Some songs from the game is not on the album, which is why i want the pc version so bad.
Old 06-01-07, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
It is quite a bit better than Black Tie, Earthling, and Outside, which were mostly crap, but not as good as Heathen and Reality, which were both very good.
I take it someone hates Bowie flirting around with other genres? To me, Black Tie, Earthling and Outside were good because they were so different sounding.
Old 06-01-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by nothingfails
I take it someone hates Bowie flirting around with other genres? To me, Black Tie, Earthling and Outside were good because they were so different sounding.
I am fine with experimenting as long as it is something I like. Black Tie was OK, but I do not like the Nine Inch Nails sounding electronic stuff as I hate that type of music.
Old 06-01-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I am fine with experimenting as long as it is something I like. Black Tie was OK, but I do not like the Nine Inch Nails sounding electronic stuff as I hate that type of music.
oh ok, that's probably why we differ. I am a huge fan of synths and electronic sounding music (quite possibly a reason why I love 1980's pop music so much), so that's probably why I enjoy Earthling and Outside.
Old 06-01-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I could live w/out every single Bowie album from the 90's. I like almost every other album he's done outside that decade. And, yeah, I'm including Tonight and Never Let Me Down.
Old 06-01-07, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
yeah, I'm including Tonight and Never Let Me Down.
ughhhhhhhh

i'd take ANY of his albums over those two pieces of trash.

in fact, i'd rather listen to him narrate peter and the wolf over and over again.
Old 06-02-07, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
ughhhhhhhh

i'd take ANY of his albums over those two pieces of trash.

in fact, i'd rather listen to him narrate peter and the wolf over and over again.
Yeah, I know I'm in a tiny, tiny minority on this! But, I love the songs "Loving The Alien", "Don't Look Down" and "Shining Star".
Old 06-02-07, 12:07 PM
Banned by request

Tonight is actually a solid album. Loving The Alien, Neighborhood Threat, Dancing With The Big Boys, Blue Jean, all great songs.
Old 06-02-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tonight and Never Let Me Down would've made a decent album if you took the best half off of each