TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Man vs. Wild

Old 05-31-07, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man vs. Wild

anyone else in hear a fan of good ol' bear grylls and watching him get down and dirty and doing crazy survival stuff in the wild? just found out there will be new episodes starting june 15th with bear in the everglades. cant wait.
Old 05-31-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
I'm still waiting for FOX to do Man vs. Beast III.
Old 05-31-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 872 Likes on 643 Posts
I'll be watching the new ones. Although the situation is different, I enjoy this more than Survivorman. He may not be alone but the stuff he does and knows is incredible. One episode that sticks out for me was when he climbed up the rock face of a waterfall without any rope or support system.
Old 05-31-07, 12:22 PM

While he does more extreme stuff than Survivorman I think it's a lesser show. The sense of being alone added to the necessity of survival. He's got a camera crew around with him all the time and sets up some of his bits (jumping into a frozen pond just to show how to get out, for example). It's interesting and entertaining, but not as good IMO.
Old 05-31-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts
I like both this and Survivorman, but let's be honest here. Survivorman is the only guy in real danger of dying out there.
Old 05-31-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
I like both this and Survivorman, but let's be honest here. Survivorman is the only guy in real danger of dying out there.
that's because Bear Grylls cannot be killed by anything found in nature
Old 05-31-07, 01:21 PM
Mok

Bear is the man can't wait till the new season starts. Any news on new episodes of I shouldn't be Alive.
Old 05-31-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Birrman54
that's because Bear Grylls cannot be killed by anything found in nature

I love the show. Not a big fan of Survivorman.

I will be waiting and watching. Almost got my 5 year old to try eating ants with me after an episode.
Old 05-31-07, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yecul
It's interesting and entertaining, but not as good IMO.
Yeah, I liked this show until the Rocky Mts. Episode. I was confused as to why he was running from a ficticious bear and jumping off a cliff for no apparent reason.
Old 05-31-07, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 872 Likes on 643 Posts
Originally Posted by starman9000
Yeah, I liked this show until the Rocky Mts. Episode. I was confused as to why he was running from a ficticious bear and jumping off a cliff for no apparent reason.
Everything he does is just to show you how to handle different situations. During the one in Africa he squeezed the water out of elephant shit into his mouth just to show you how to get water if you're stranded. He obviously wasn't dieing of dehydration but he did it anyway. He also put himself into quick sand to show how to get out.
Old 06-04-07, 02:14 PM

exactly -- he shows you what to do if you are the most absolute extreme situation. he isnt always doing stuff because he needs to per se -- but more in a showing way. and it is so much fun watching him do this crazy stuff. i just cant get enough bear!
Old 06-04-07, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

new season, woohoo.
Old 06-04-07, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the show but some of the stuff he does is just nasty. Squeezing the water out of the crap and last week, peeing into his ripped shirt to wear on his head. Tell us, don't show us. I think we can figure out pissing on a shirt ourselves.
Old 06-04-07, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I watch an ep or two of this, but I greatly prefer Survivorman to this. Something about Survivorman just relaxes me while holding my interest, while Man vs. Wild seems to be trying too hard to get my attention. Running from imaginary animals, sliding down cliffs, etc for the hell of it. I get why he does it, just not my cup of tea.

Rather hear LS talk about having to start a fire, get water, build shelter for the thousandth time (well technically the 11th or so time). Did anyone see the special that followed Survivorman and his family when they transitioned to alternate power?
Old 06-05-07, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts
For fans of Bear, try and find an airing of the series "Escape to the Legion" some time. It was fascinating. It pops up on the Military and other Discovery Channels now and again.
Old 06-05-07, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I watch an ep or two of this, but I greatly prefer Survivorman to this. Something about Survivorman just relaxes me while holding my interest, while Man vs. Wild seems to be trying too hard to get my attention. Running from imaginary animals, sliding down cliffs, etc for the hell of it. I get why he does it, just not my cup of tea.
i think they are just different types of shows. i like man vs. wild because he does all this crazy fun stuff for me to watch. it keeps me more engaged than survivorman.
Old 06-05-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just discovered Man vs Wild and love it. I couldn't believe it when he peed on his shirt and put it on his head. But I loved watching him pull himself out of quicksand and scaling sheer rock faces. Very entertaining show.
Old 06-05-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
Originally Posted by fernsita
i think they are just different types of shows. i like man vs. wild because he does all this crazy fun stuff for me to watch. it keeps me more engaged than survivorman.
I completely agree with this. I just think Bear is a more engaging guy. The first time I watched Survivorman, it took me a couple sittings to get through it. It just seemed too slow, a bit dull for me. I've since learned to appreciate it more, but I'm still more entertained with Man vs. Wild.

And I missed the episode where Bear pisses in his shirt.
Old 06-05-07, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
I completely agree with this. I just think Bear is a more engaging guy. The first time I watched Survivorman, it took me a couple sittings to get through it. It just seemed too slow, a bit dull for me. I've since learned to appreciate it more, but I'm still more entertained with Man vs. Wild.

And I missed the episode where Bear pisses in his shirt.
he also eats a bird egg completely raw (shell and all)
Old 06-05-07, 04:14 PM

I love Man vs Wild and also I Shouldn't Be Alive.
Old 06-05-07, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Survivorman bores me to death. I saw a few episodes and it never got my interest. The first time I saw Man vs Wild, I was hook. He's one crazy bastard.
Old 06-05-07, 06:38 PM

Bear Grylls is my hero.
Old 06-05-07, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
I work at a newspaper, so I have access to the AP photos and stories. Anyway, a few weeks ago, I was looking for some art for this story I had on Mount Everest. I do a search for Everest and notice a very familiar face in one of the pics. It was Bear! He was at a press conference. He had just set a world record for hang gliding around Mount Everest or something like that, can't remember exactly what it was.

But that's when I knew, he might have a camera crew follow him around for the show, but this guy don't fuck around! In fact, I sometimes wonder how much the camera crew holds him back. He probably spends just as much time -- if not more -- worrying about their welfare.

Anyway, yes, Survivorman does the show all by his lonesome, but Bear certainly doesn't need a camera crew around to ensure his safety (and he gets much better footage that way, too).
Old 06-06-07, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope Man vs Wild becomes popular enough to turn Bear into Chuck Norris

In my humble opinion Bear can already do everything Chuck Norris can and then turn to the camera and tell us, the viewing audience, how to be better than Chuck Norris too
Old 06-06-07, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by clckworang

But that's when I knew, he might have a camera crew follow him around for the show, but this guy don't fuck around! In fact, I sometimes wonder how much the camera crew holds him back. He probably spends just as much time -- if not more -- worrying about their welfare.
i think that is a great point. since bear is the survival expert i bet he is worrying about the camera crew too. i had never even thought about that. i can see him turning around and yelling at them for doing something dumb. haha. bear is the man. to me he already has chuck norris status. almost time for the new episodes woo hoo!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.