Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

52 reading question

Old 05-26-07, 03:25 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
52 reading question

Last year I started to get really behind on my comics so I decided to stop going to comic sites to avoid spoilers. I'm probably going to do a lot of catching up over the next month. One of the comics I most want to catch up on is 52. I've already read half of it, but I was wondering if I'd be missing out on any of the fun of OYL by focusing on finishing up with 52 before catching up with other DCU books.

Would you have rather read 52 first or is it better to read it concurrently with the OYL comics?
Old 05-26-07, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
52 takes place before and sets up OYL, so keep reading 52
Old 05-27-07, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OYL was really a waste. Most of the new books that got started because of it are now either canceled or far beyond not worth reading (look at aquaman) so just stay focus on 52 which is so far beyond awesome in the writing.
Old 05-29-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,484 Posts
Weren't most of the new books coming out of OYL limited series anyway?

Having read 52, I still don't get the big deal about OYL.... all it seemed to do was kill the momentum that Teen Titans had and make Supergirl even more confusing.
Old 05-29-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No every title went OYL. Some big changes I can think of are:

Spoiler:
Catwoman having a baby, an increase in Superman's powers, Aquaman's complete change, Wonder Woman adopting a secret identity, Outsiders going 'rouge', and Titans disassembled
Old 05-30-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by stingermck
No every title went OYL. Some big changes I can think of are:

Spoiler:
Catwoman having a baby, an increase in Superman's powers, Aquaman's complete change, Wonder Woman adopting a secret identity, Outsiders going 'rouge', and Titans disassembled
Spoiler:
The Outsiders are now wearing rouge? Do you mean to say that they are transgendering?

Man.... I gotta pick up that title.
Old 05-30-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,484 Posts
Here are the only "big" changes that happened in the books I happen to read:

Spoiler:

1. Superman/Batman: doesn't even seem to happen in continuity with the rest of the books, no impact from OYL, and I dropped it
2. Supergirl: Supergirl and Power Girl went to Kandor. Why, I have no idea. This was then largely ignored as she decided to try out life as a schoolgirl, live as an Outsider, life with an abusive boyfriend, etc., etc., before this was all rebooted by a new writer. Except for the Kandor mess, no impact from pre OYL.
3. JSA: Started a whole new series after ending the last one on what amounted to a fill-in arc. Some visible signs of OYL (Lantern in Checkmate, etc.), otherwise seemed like just an excuse to start with another number 1.
4. JLA: Reboot. Since Supes, Bats, and WW are all back anyway, no visible difference because of OYL. Even Red Tornado didn't seem to have a connection to the events in 52. Spent the first few issues deciding on who to include on the team, only to throw it all out and just let in whoever happened to be around.
5. Wonder Woman: reboot. OYL, and donna troy is now Wonder Woman. Cool. Except we spend more time with undercover Diana than the new WW, there's no resolution to the first story arc, and the book gets rebooted twice more.
6. Teen Titans: Went from a team of heroes that I liked to a team of nobodies who seem to be both uninteresting and underpowered. Let's see, before Cyborg came back and Wondergirl reluctantly rejoined, we had Robin, Kid Devil, and Ravager? Please. Plus after all this Captain Carrot/Kid Devil buildup before OYL, we skipped right past it.

Of course, I didn't pick up any of the miniseries or series that came out of OYL, so I probably missed out on a lot. Anyway, I wasn't too impressed with what changes they made to the titles I read.
Old 05-30-07, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by speedy1961
Spoiler:
The Outsiders are now wearing rouge? Do you mean to say that they are transgendering?

Man.... I gotta pick up that title.
well.....

Ok so that was suppose to be rogue
Old 05-30-07, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by stingermck
well.....

Ok so that was suppose to be rogue
I know. j/k

Loooong time comic reader....

Just ask Rogue588.....