Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Anyone else think that Cartoon Network's JUSTICE LEAGUE DVDs were great blind buys?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Anyone else think that Cartoon Network's JUSTICE LEAGUE DVDs were great blind buys?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-07, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought this was the best blind buy TV show since the Whedon's FIREFLY boxset. I was always a Marvel superheroes person and I never cared for D.C. superheroes except for Batman. I always thought that Marvel had more interesting heroes and villains. I still prefer Marvel, but after watching JUSTICE LEAGUE, I have so much more respect for D.C. now than before. The Justice League cartoon is probably the best cartoon series that I have seen made-for-TV since the 80s cartoons. All the characters evolve, and as the series progress, tons of random D.C. superheroes are introduced that wouldn't normally get screentime in a cartoon or a movie (such as Red Tornado, Black Canary, Black Cat, Captain Adam, Dr. Fate, Granny Goodness, Gorilla Grodd, Mongol,etc.). Eventhough I have never cared for D.C.'s most famous villains - Lex Luthor and The Joker - I think that Lex Luther has been best represented in this carton than in any other Superman movie. I have yet to be impressed with The Joker, I think he's a silly character, even in his respectable Alan Moore or Frank Miller versions. I just don't like stereotypical clowns - I don't find them funny or interesting, even if they are crazy murderers. I have a feeling that I'll like the interpretation of The Joker in the next Batman movie. But anyway, The Joker is not in too many of the Justice League cartoon episodes which is a relief.

It's also interesting to see how the creators handle Superman in the Justice League cartoon. In some of the commentaries, they didn't realize until it was too late that Superman is a moronic wimp getting his ass-kicked in the early episodes. I notice that it's only in the Justice Leauge Unlimited series that he finally gets to kick ass.

But overall, it's a great cartoon show, with surprisingly many touching episodes, especially the final episode.

They even make Aquaman a kick-ass character, voiced by the male Movie Trailer voice dude. The first Aquaman episode from Season 1 is just so fucked-up awesome, I don't know how they got it on the air, one of the darkest episodes - body part self-sacrificing, the bad guy is his brother, and Aquaman's baby is almost executed (I've never seen a scene in any film that threatened a baby like this).

And the best episodes for me are any with Darkseid, because it's the type of Superman action that we will probably never seen in the movie theater, because the movie makers are obsessed with Lex Luthor and making Superman a cry-baby.

Go buy all of these DVDs! A totally great blind buy! I even bought a couple of the 90s Superman cartoon series, as a sort of prequel. They are not bad as well...

For the DVD affecionado, it is interesting to note that during commentaries on the First Season, the cartoon creators said they always had in mind that their show should be watched in widescreen. So basically, they said that eventhough the first Seasons are shot Full-screen, they were made to be zoomed in on a Widescreen HDTV - they said that they are just showing more image on the top and bottom, but nothing lost when cut off to watch it in widescreen. The creators only got the go to film the show in widescreen for the last seasons of JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED.
Old 05-25-07, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Well I bought the first season and only made it through the first couple episodes and my answer would be a definate no.
Old 05-25-07, 06:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by toddly6666

I thought this was the best blind buy TV show since the Whedon's FIREFLY boxset. I was always a Marvel superheroes person and I never cared for D.C. superheroes except for Batman. I always thought that Marvel had more interesting heroes and villains. I still prefer Marvel, but after watching JUSTICE LEAGUE, I have so much more respect for D.C. now than before. The Justice League cartoon is probably the best cartoon series that I have seen made-for-TV since the 80s cartoons. All the characters evolve, and as the series progress, tons of random D.C. superheroes are introduced that wouldn't normally get screentime in a cartoon or a movie (such as Red Tornado, Black Canary, Black Cat, Captain Adam, Dr. Fate, Granny Goodness, Gorilla Grodd, Mongol,etc.). Eventhough I have never cared for D.C.'s most famous villains - Lex Luthor and The Joker - I think that Lex Luther has been best represented in this carton than in any other Superman movie. I have yet to be impressed with The Joker, I think he's a silly character, even in his respectable Alan Moore or Frank Miller versions. I just don't like stereotypical clowns - I don't find them funny or interesting, even if they are crazy murderers. I have a feeling that I'll like the interpretation of The Joker in the next Batman movie. But anyway, The Joker is not in too many of the Justice League cartoon episodes which is a relief.

It's also interesting to see how the creators handle Superman in the Justice League cartoon. In some of the commentaries, they didn't realize until it was too late that Superman is a moronic wimp getting his ass-kicked in the early episodes. I notice that it's only in the Justice Leauge Unlimited series that he finally gets to kick ass.

But overall, it's a great cartoon show, with surprisingly many touching episodes, especially the final episode.

They even make Aquaman a kick-ass character, voiced by the male Movie Trailer voice dude. The first Aquaman episode from Season 1 is just so fucked-up awesome, I don't know how they got it on the air, one of the darkest episodes - body part self-sacrificing, the bad guy is his brother, and Aquaman's baby is almost executed (I've never seen a scene in any film that threatened a baby like this).

And the best episodes for me are any with Darkseid, because it's the type of Superman action that we will probably never seen in the movie theater, because the movie makers are obsessed with Lex Luthor and making Superman a cry-baby.

Go buy all of these DVDs! A totally great blind buy! I even bought a couple of the 90s Superman cartoon series, as a sort of prequel. They are not bad as well...

For the DVD affecionado, it is interesting to note that during commentaries on the First Season, the cartoon creators said they always had in mind that their show should be watched in widescreen. So basically, they said that eventhough the first Seasons are shot Full-screen, they were made to be zoomed in on a Widescreen HDTV - they said that they are just showing more image on the top and bottom, but nothing lost when cut off to watch it in widescreen. The creators only got the go to film the show in widescreen for the last seasons of JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED.

Sorry but I have to disagree, I brought season 1 as a blind buy and couldn't make through it so it is a no
Old 05-25-07, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
I'm not even a huge comic fan but I thought this series was fantastic. If they hadn't fucked up the widescreeen transfers on the first two seasons, I would have bought them. I can wait for some hi-def format to do them right.
Old 05-26-07, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I forgot to mention that I watched these shows starting with Justice League Unlimited as the original blind buy, which is ten times better than the first seasons, and then I worked my way backwards. The stories, characters, animation and even the DVD quality positively evolves from Season 1 to the final season of Justice League Unlimited....

If anyone blindly buys these shows, I would recommend starting with the last two seasons of Justice League Unlimited, which are anamorphic Widescreen. And even though the show runs chronilogically, they are still enjoyable all out of order....
Old 05-28-07, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was not a great blind buy, I bought it with eyes WIDE OPEN. The series just kept on getting better as time went on.

The last season was the best, it was sad to see it end.
Old 05-28-07, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JLU was without a doubt one of the greatest animated series ever made. The scene where Flash was running around the world, gaining power to hit Luthor gave me chills, it was just so damn cool. Not to mention the final brawl between Superman/Darkseid....yowzer. Almost every episode was like an over the top, blockbuster. Amazing stuff.

I'm not even much of a DC guy, I'm more of a Marvel "zombie"...and it's a damn shame Marvel can't put out anything even half as good as DC when it comes to animation.
Old 05-28-07, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Haven't bought the DVDs yet, though they're on my 'Hmm, I should get those' list....
but while I enjoyed parts of JL (apart from the AR issue on DVD), I reeealllly liked JLU. Being able to pull from such a large universe, using most of them well, and still fleshing out most of the characters; an impressive and enjoyable show.
Old 05-29-07, 02:31 PM

I agree totally with the OP. I bought Seasons 1 & 2 blind (waiting for the Unlimited sets to go on sale to pick them up) and I think they are excellent. I'm almost finished watching these -- only have the three-part episode "Star Crossed" to go. My favorite episode so far, by a wide margin, is "Hereafter". This story rose above the genre and is an outstanding work of science-fiction in its own right.
Old 05-29-07, 02:53 PM

I love the whole DC Animated Universe!!! From Batman: TAS through JL: U, Producers Timm, Dini, Etc... have created animated series which have spirit, energy, and surprising intelligence. I have all 4 seasons of Batman: TAS, all 3 season of Superman: TAS, all 3 seasons of Batman Beyond, and all 4 season of Justice League. And I can't wait for the upcoming Superman: Doomsday cartoon in September and the Justice League animated movie next year.
Old 05-29-07, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved Batman: TAS and Batman Beyond, and to a lesser degree, Superman...so I figured, "why not?" with Justice League. It did help that Warner kept the releases spread out - if I had to choose between all the series at once, I don't think I would've bought Justice League as they were released.