Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE-Premiere May 24

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE-Premiere May 24

Fresh off its sold-out, cross-country performance tour, SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE, last summer’s No.1 hit, begins another search for America’s favorite dancer Thursday, March 1, in New York City. Entering its third season this summer on FOX, the hot series from the producers of AMERICAN IDOL and “American Bandstand” is hosted by Cat Deeley, one of the UK’s top television personalities and a correspondent for “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” and “Good Morning America.” Once again SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE promises to keep America moving to a different beat, as dancers skilled in everything from the “street” styles of hip-hop, krumping and popping to “the best of ballroom” – salsa, quickstep, jive and more – compete to be named America’s Favorite Dancer.

Producers will travel to New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and Atlanta in search of dancers who best represent the rhythm of America. Talented dancers who spark the judges’ interest during auditions will be invited to call-backs, where they will work with top choreographers. During the call-back week, the judges will choose the Top 20 dancers who will continue in the competition.

The series became a phenomenon in its second season, in which Benji Schwimmer was voted America’s Favorite Dancer and received $100,000, a new car and a contract to appear in Celine Dion's “A New Day” show at The Colosseum, Caesars Palace, Las Vegas.
Old 05-23-07, 08:44 AM

If you havent watched this show the last two seasons, you should give it a try. I saw the tour in Miami last year after being a huge fan for the last 2 years. This is a dance fanatics dream show. And should fill the void now that "Dancing with the Stars" is over.

The choreography is really good, and you should see a lot of young fresh talent.
Old 05-23-07, 08:48 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I posted this in the DWTS thread since you mentioned SYTYCD... but I'll dupe that post here...

btw... did you see Benji is the main male dancer in Christina Aquillera's "Candyman" video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4kR8OQCrlQ
or
http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?name=f...012&vid=134914

Old 05-23-07, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I posted this in the DWTS thread since you mentioned SYTYCD... but I'll dupe that post here...

btw... did you see Benji is the main male dancer in Christina Aquillera's "Candyman" video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4kR8OQCrlQ
or
http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?name=f...012&vid=134914

Wow, good catch! Good to see him doing what he did best. Full out high energy personality filled dancing! What a great season that was. I'm hoping this season tops that!
Old 05-23-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I squeed like a 13 year old when I first realized that was Benji in that video. I really like that guy. He brings the happy.

I am SO glad this show is starting so soon. I need it, what with "Dancing with the Stars" ending and "American Idol" getting on my nerves. Can't wait to see the dancers.
Old 05-23-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Cat Dealey!

Old 05-23-07, 11:23 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
can't wait for this show to return !
Old 05-23-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Cat Dealey!

Exactly. Can't wait...
Old 05-23-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just watch it for the hot flexible dancers in tiny clothes.
Old 05-23-07, 06:25 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I actually just love watching the different dance styles and choreography. Cat Deeley, she's ok but nothing spesh
Old 05-24-07, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
I actually just love watching the different dance styles and choreography. Cat Deeley, she's ok but nothing spesh
Choreography was amazing last year. Mia Michaels put out some great memorable stuff. So did Wade Robson. Hope they are both back this year.

I dont like Cat Deeley, if I remember correctly she sounded like she had a speech impediment, she said stupid stuff, and she mispronounced everything. I actually muted her from time to time.
Old 05-24-07, 08:34 PM

If that's indicative of the season, we are in for a good time. Hell, that one guy/guy "swing" dance was more fun that most shows can put together in a whole season.
Old 05-24-07, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That first couple dancing, she has a nice ass. I like how she moved it
Old 05-25-07, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I wish Cat Deeley would get her nose straightened out, it's kind of distracting.
Old 05-25-07, 06:42 AM

wah, I promised my daughter I wouldnt watch it without her, and she doesnt get home till tomorrow! I'm dying here!
Old 05-25-07, 06:57 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Sex is back!... and gone again.

Stanislov's sister was pretty good... and the big goofy Jamal won't make it out of Vegas. Was there something that he signed last year that said if he made it to the top 20, he was ineligible the next year. I'd like to see him get a fiar shake after being let go in the first round last year.

Watching that Isreali wedding distaster over and over again was hard to see. Glad that she made it out of there (but I don't see her making it out of Vegas either).
Old 05-25-07, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some very decent looking girls - really liked that one who was the dancing student they loved whose teacher also got a ticket to vegas. The bit with Jamal was hilarious when he was just waiting for the music to kick in - guy's got a sense of humour for sure... and man oh man, Nigel was just flat out MEAN with Sex and his mother....but deservedly so. There has never been a more IRONIC nickname in the history of the world IMO. Should be a good season.
Old 05-25-07, 10:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love this show.

I love the judge's enthusiasm during the better performances. And Nigel is a far better and more entertaining judge than AI's Simon Cowell. A little creepy hearing Nigel call the some of the young dancers "hot and sexy," but it WORKS and his passion for dance and the dancer's performances is evident. I enjoy his reactions (offended/horrified) to finding the worst of the dancers are dance instructors.

Would have preferred less of "Sex" and that Dancing Derrick freak so we could see more of the great dancers (40+ made it through and we only saw a a few of them), but overall, excellent start to the season.
Old 05-25-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Channeling surfing in the past I had seen some of the previous two (2) seasons, but I could not turn away from this car accident last night.

I mean some of the dancers were just horrible and the thought that they would actually audition for this show is troubling. I'm sure some producers put them through for some cheap laughs.

Come on the dance instructor that "gave up" dancing after Nigel scolded her. The two (2) "love birds" that made Richard Gere in Shall We Dance look like Fatone, on Dancing with the Stars, were unbelieveably bad.
Old 05-25-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Watching that Isreali wedding distaster over and over again was hard to see. Glad that she made it out of there (but I don't see her making it out of Vegas either).
Tha freaked me out! I happened to just look up at the screen when they showed that and it shocked the hell out of me. I vaguely remember hearing about that news story but I never saw that video before. One of the most disturbing things I have ever seen on TV.

It was also coincidentally inappropriate that later in the episode, they showed a Wendy's commerial with a floor collapsing.

I had never watched this show before but I am looking for some mindless summer TV and this seems like it will be entertaining. I laughed when they kept saying that guy's name "E-nock" since that is how my 2-year old says "soymilk".

Last edited by Jadzia; 05-25-07 at 03:02 PM.