Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Civil War Reading Order?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Civil War Reading Order?

I just finished the 'Road to Civil War' TPB and now about to start with the Civil War and the Civil War Frontline TPBs. How did the issues come out? Am I supposed to read CW#1 then CWF #1,2 then CW#2, then CWF #3,4?
Old 05-22-07, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure in what order one is supposed to read it but I read Road To CW, then the main CW book, followed by the tie-ins in whatever order.
Old 05-22-07, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's no real order. The editorial process was so piss-poor in that series that crossover books would come out depicting events we saw 2 weeks earlier or wouldn't see for 2 weeks later in the main series. Worse yet, some crossovers seemed to directly contradicted what happened in the main series.
Old 05-22-07, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks! Here's hoping Civil war lives up to the hype!
Old 05-23-07, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Lower your expectations first
Old 05-23-07, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure if this will help with the TPB's but:

Civil War Visual Guide
http://www.marvel.com/news/comicstories.766
Old 05-23-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recall events in Frontline sometimes (I said "sometimes"!) mirroring the stuff in CW, but FL ran 11 issues, so no telling.
Old 05-23-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by sinned
Thanks! Here's hoping Civil war lives up to the hype!
Are you talking about good hype or bad hype?
Old 05-23-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Anyone think that they're gonna release a book with all the comics in it covering Civil War?
Old 05-28-07, 03:28 PM

I just didn't bother reading it. I was too confused as to what was supposed to be going on. That, and I didn't care.
Old 05-28-07, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Quack
Anyone think that they're gonna release a book with all the comics in it covering Civil War?

They never seem to do this though which is a shame. Shit, look at how many different CIVIL WAR trades come out A WEEK! all covering one of the different regular monthly issues that just have one or two pages of civil war tie in mentions.

Give me one huge HC with all of it in it and I'll be happy. Shit, just give me a HC of Civil War and I'll shut up. fuck this trade paper back only.
Old 06-02-07, 02:39 PM

I read an issue of every CW title at a time. If the issue didn't seem to be corresponding well, I'd read two of those (Spider-man is a good example of this, some events are a little "off" time wise). But, for the most part - I really liked how CW was handled. Some things didn't line up, yes, but having that massive of a story line while still maintaining that much coherrentness (not a word, w00t) is nice.

Frontline was awesome. And one of my favorite stories from CW.
Old 06-02-07, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I found this list that is supposed to be chronological:
http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Civil-W...d_i=0785123121
I'm only a casual comic reader, but I think I may get into this storyline and start buying these TPB's. Hopefully that Amazon list is pretty accurate.
Old 06-03-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow, I haven't read a comic book since the Valiant days. My wife and I like going to the book store and while she looks through the home improvment books I read magazines, last night I picked up the "Road to Civil War" and was going to post on here about an order in case I want to get into it Is it over or are books still coming out?
Old 06-04-07, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
They never seem to do this though which is a shame. Shit, look at how many different CIVIL WAR trades come out A WEEK! all covering one of the different regular monthly issues that just have one or two pages of civil war tie in mentions.

Give me one huge HC with all of it in it and I'll be happy. Shit, just give me a HC of Civil War and I'll shut up. fuck this trade paper back only.
What's weird is that I got the Avengers Civil War crossover in HC, but the main Civil War trade is not available in HC?

They'll probably want to milk this for all it's worth, so someday we might get some comprehensive Civil War compendium, long after we've all bought the individual trades. I mean, it only took them how many years to do a comprehensive Age of Apocalypse series of trades?
Old 06-04-07, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020
Wow, I haven't read a comic book since the Valiant days. My wife and I like going to the book store and while she looks through the home improvment books I read magazines, last night I picked up the "Road to Civil War" and was going to post on here about an order in case I want to get into it Is it over or are books still coming out?

All Civil War titles are over, yes. We are now in The Initiative and World War Hulk.