Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

On the Lot - Series Premiere - 5/22/07

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-07, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the Lot - Series Premiere - 5/22/07

This new reality show premieres tonight, after American Idol. I am actally looking forward to it, but I was a big Project Greenlight fan.
Old 05-22-07, 06:57 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Sounds interesting, but based on the promos it's more about "who can do the best homebrew CGI" rather than "who is the best filmmaker".
Old 05-22-07, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm all for a serious week in week out filmmaking competitions....if this turns into another lame ass "lets build an alliance", "vote for the worst" bullshit reality show, I'm bailing.
Old 05-22-07, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, this middle-aged Valley Girl they have hosting this is AWFUL.
Old 05-22-07, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh god I left the tv on after American Idol...make it stop for the love of god, make it stop!

"Brett Ratner omfg what a genius and I'm in his presence!"(lol, i kind of paraphrased it)

I bet this gets cancelled by the 3rd commercial break....seriously, don't be surprised if a Simpsons rerun shows up instead of the 2nd half of the show.
Old 05-22-07, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why is Brett Ratner not a contestant on this show?
Old 05-22-07, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
The Ratner sucking off is a bit much (But the guy has made some ridiculously high grossing films, shitty or not), but it's actually not too bad, actually feel bad for some of the flops.

Kind of funny how people misinterpret stuff, and how cocky some people are. And how awful some of these sound.

Edit: I take that back, this guy is annoying as fuck.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-22-07 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-22-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A romantic comedy? "He's a straight-laced priest. She's a wacky missionary. It's 'Dharma and Greg' meets 'Dragonfly.' And then, just when you think you have it all figured out: cliche wedding!"

So far, aside from Carrie Fisher sounding like she's attempting to speak through mouthful of slushie, this has been a pathetic attempt at creativity.

(EDIT: I think it stems from the fact that, for the most part, the loglines they are given are horrendous and trite. Oh, and Brett Ratner has not made a film which I could define as "good." Period. In fact, I think the only truly good thing he has ever done was his recent cameo on "Entourage.")

Last edited by invisiblegt; 05-22-07 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-22-07, 08:38 PM

Fisher????

Am I the only one who has a problem with Carrie Fisher????? We couldn't get a better/more consistant actor for this crappy show????? Maybe, Cybil Shepard?
Old 05-22-07, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Getting constructive criticism from Brett Ratner is more useless and insulting than getting acting lessons from Keanu Reeves, or having Larry the Cable Guy guide you in the right way of being a comedian.

Plus, in the five minutes I had this show on for, all of these people pitching their ideas seem to have gotten their loglines generated by AWESOM-O backstage.

Add another bad reality show to the already growing list.
Old 05-22-07, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by ARIC
Am I the only one who has a problem with Carrie Fisher????? We couldn't get a better/more consistant actor for this crappy show????? Maybe, Cybil Shepard?
Well I think we can all agree that her finest moment was sitting on Jabba's lap in a bikini...it's all been downhill from there....way downhill....
Old 05-22-07, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Marty Martin.... creative parents.

Old 05-22-07, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I made it to the first guy forgetting his pitch. It was boring as all get out. Not even gonna give it a second look.
Old 05-22-07, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
Did they refer to Brett Ratner as a legend?!

*reaches for remote*
Old 05-22-07, 09:35 PM

How was this? I was looking forward to it and missed it
Old 05-22-07, 10:07 PM

Any chance these same judges won't be sticking around?

The show itself was fine, with some good characters, but the loglines were horribly trite and none of the judges are really that great. Though I guess it does give some reality to Hollywood where people like Brett Ratner can be "respected" directors whose movies make tons of money.

I'll give this a few more shots and hope that the judges change week-by-week and that a few intriguing contestants step out from the pack.
Old 05-22-07, 10:16 PM

This was painful to watch. I know its the first day, but is there any creativity in these "directors"? Even the ones that they said were great had crappy story lines. I think Carrie Fisher was taking speech leasons from Margot Kidder (ie, her stint Brothers and Sisters). Its like she's got dentures in her mouth and is speaking out of the side of her mouth.
Old 05-22-07, 10:39 PM
Suspended

Kind of a lame show but maybe it will get better.
Old 05-22-07, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by ARIC
She does a lot of uncredited script doctoring, doesn't she? I'm pretty sure she had a pass on at least one of the SW prequels.
Old 05-23-07, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cerulean
She does a lot of uncredited script doctoring, doesn't she? I'm pretty sure she had a pass on at least one of the SW prequels.
She also wrote Postcards From the Edge, which Mike Nichols directed to great acclaim. Fisher's certainly got more cred than Brett Ratner, that's for sure.

I don't think this show is nearly as bad as some here are making it out to be. My only complaint really is they should've moved the group activity into the next episode and focused entirely on the pitches; would've been really interesting to see which ideas passed muster and which didn't, and how big a part the contestants' (fake) confidence played into it. And Zen Peckinpah is right: the loglines really do sound like AWESOM-O outtakes; I think it would be more interesting to have everyone pitch their own ideas and loglines from scratch.

That Marty guy sounds like a real douchebag so far. That pushy, in-your-face attitude might fly when you've got millions of dollars at stake and hundreds of crew members standing around, but c'mon dude: you're essentially shooting a slightly more elaborate student film.

This show won't fill the gap that Project Greenlight left, but it will do for now.

Last edited by GreenVulture; 05-23-07 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-23-07, 01:11 AM

I enjoyed it, but I agree that the loglines were bad... however, look at it from the producer's point of view. They aren't looking for the arty, campy directors... they are looking for the next "commercial" director. Brett Ratner is perfect because that is exactly what he is... a commercial director with great success. You know as soon as the winner gets his/her office at Dreamworks they will immediately begin production on whatever tripe the studio throws at them... probably some crappy horror film.

I was kind of wondering why Carrie was in there as well, but they always have to put one odd-ball judge in there... though she has had some decent comments to the prospectives.
Old 05-23-07, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The guy from Indiana who choked on the first pitch spent far more time on his suit than preparing his pitch. Half the pitches they showed didn't even have endings! The team drama definitely hooked me even though I'm insanely jealous that I don't have an opportunity to make an ass out of myself on the show.
Old 05-23-07, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Any chance these same judges won't be sticking around?
Carrie Fisher is there the entire season, the other two judges change as the season progresses.

Does everyone else here feel more secure about their own creativity after hearing some of those pitches? A LOT of that was edited to make the contestants look good/bad (especially those reaction shots from the judges...which always irks me to no end on these reality shows). For example, the "Odd Couple" mouse pitch wasn't nearly as interesting as the judges/editing would lead us to believe. Although it was world's better than suit-boy's "RATMAN" pitch.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 05-23-07 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-23-07, 07:31 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Carrie Fisher obviously hangs out with Penny Marshall way too much.

In the Star Wars days she sounded like a nice, down-to-earth girl from the mid-west.

Now she sounds like a chain smoking yenta from Loyng-eyelinduh. Oy vey!
Old 05-23-07, 07:33 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
I thought X-Men 3 was actually the most entertaining of the bunch, but isn't having Ratner on the panel like having Ray Charles judge a mime competition?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.